🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 58 - Rented Cabin in The Mountains

Paul F. Tompkins welcomes everyone back to SPONTANEANATION, the place you are free to be yourself! This week, Paul’s special guest is Jason Mantzoukas of How Did This Get Made? and Transparent! They chat about the last time Jason told his family he loved them, the correct inflection when saying "How Did This Get Made?," and the comforts of Magnum, P.I. Paul is then joined by Shulie Cowen, Matt Gourley, and Amanda Lund to improvise a story set in a Rented Cabin in The Mountains. And as always, Eban (only the best) Schletter scores it all on piano! SPONTANEANATION LIVE returns to Largo on Saturday, June 4th, with improvisors Nyima Funk, Colleen Smith and Chris Tallman, with special interview guest

! Tickets are available now: bit.ly/SPONT616
  • Like 1

This is a true contender for SPONT GOAT, but Mr. Bobbles must have snuck in and fed me some popcorn during the plugs segment, because my heart hurts.

• Like 5

This episode had a lot of talk about family and feelings, and it was very sweet, from the conversation about dads and telling them you love them, to engagement stories, to the improv where Matt and Amanda got to be as adorable as their characters as they are in life! Possibly the simplest ever story on this show, and it was still funny and great. Loved 'Zouks' incredulity at how far in the future this would be released. Sad news about NYSU. :-(

• Like 7

I laughed so hard during this episode, but I somehow missed the NYSU news and heard it for the first time at the end of this episode. Now I'm just sad.

• Like 5

"you know what else is great Frosted Flakes, a tiger told me that"

• Like 10

BOAT/GOAT contender for sure.

Loved how quickly PFT picked up on the No Country For Old Men thing Gourley was doing.

The frosted flakes thing should be a tshirt, if using a brand name in a tshirt is allowed

Eban killed it with Danny's song

Lost my piece of paper i wrote notes on this morning when i listened, so i willl relisten and come back with some more

• Like 2

so is the fact that Paul still asks the guests for plugs when the episodes are being recorded 5 months in advance actually a joke at this point?

seriously... the second Jason said "Thanksgiving" at the beginning of the show, I couldn't stop laughing

• Like 2

Loved how quickly PFT picked up on the No Country For Old Men thing Gourley was doing.

"This fella with the Dorothy Hamill haircut is awful mysterious."

Loved the army sound-off. El Debarge!

• Like 3

Loved the army sound-off. El Debarge!

here is the full squad for anyone interested:

Daniel

Richie

Rauchy(Raunchy)

Brooklyn

Ted

Katie

Little Jim

Petro

Nitro

Mitch

First Class Huey Bob

Blair

Elwood

El DeBarge

El Cabrero El Caballero

• Like 3

And the subsequent Raising Arizona thing!

Boy those Coen Brothers sure do love convenience store scenes.

• Like 3

Loved this episode! Hearing Zouks make pretending with the others was a great bonus, as was the remarkable and mysterious Mr. Bobbles. I had a few loud laffs at this, especially during the delightfully nutty Vietnam sequence. Hearing about NYSU being cancelled was a bit of a blow, but I do hope we get more collaborations between the Henson guys and PFT.

• Like 2

I'm totally cool with how far in advance this show is, the content isn't terribly time-sensitive and a podcast where they're so on top of things is one that won't miss episodes because of unforeseen complications.

That said, I am in despair at how long I will have to wait for the upcoming live show with Robyn Hitchcock to percolate its way to the feed...

I posted this on the Spont Facebook group page. This was my favorite in a while, maybe ever.

First Jason flips the interview and we learn about Paul's dad (that explains a lot). Then the lovely retelling and reenactment of the Lund/Gourley engagement.

As soon as Matt Gourley hinted at Vietnam I knew we were in good hands and would probably hear some good war jargon. Picked up some of "The Doors" , from Eban, during a flashback scene. (maybe "The End")

Of course Shulie Cowen is always so quick and funny.

Grepisode! Definitely gonna relisten to this one.

• Like 1

Picked up some of "The Doors" , from Eban, during a flashback scene. (maybe "The End")

I didn't catch that, but it would make sense because it's used in Apocalypse Now.

• Like 1

Zouks mentioned loving old school Doctor Who and WWE, and on CBB he talked about loving comic books. WHAT A NERD!

I'm also a nerd, which is part of why I love Zouks so much.

• Like 2

Jason has been one of my favorite Earwolf/comedian personalities for awhile, but the interview at the top of this episode really drew me in even further. My parents are fairly hippyish and I'm from California, but I related immensely to the stuff about emotional stoicism in his family. I related to having a younger sister you try wrestling moves on. I realized we both say "you know?!" after we make statements that we want people to understand.

Jason, YA GREAT.

• Like 3

Sign in to follow this