Episode 107 — Maybe It's Maybelline

32 replies to this topic

#1 Douglas Sadler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 06:58 PM

In podcasting, you do a lot of things you don't want to do. This episode isn't one of those things! Our guests are the hilarious John Mulaney and Nick Kroll. You know what that means? We'll hear some of their classic characters like Freckle Face and John's Uncle Cowboy. Learn "how the bread is made" on Saturday Night Live and how Law & Order has informed John's comedy career. Come for the Plane Break, stay for the Plugs!

#2 ZacMof

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 05 June 2011 - 11:12 PM

Hey guys, I'm not gonna lie. I haven't listened to the episode yet. And, i don't want this to sound whiny, but I noticed that with the new format of the website there's no where for the name of the character(s) that are on the show to go. You have the guests but not who's playing who. It's just a small gripe, but I felt like it should be noted.
Anyway, thanks, I guess... I'll just end this comment now.

#3 savvyveteran

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 01:31 AM

Great episode! I was just listening to Mulaney's great What's New Pussycat? bit a few days ago, and actually thought to myself "I hope John Mulaney comes on Comedy Bang Bang if he's ever in Los Angeles at some point between SNL seasons." And, thanks to that surprise buzzer-beating appearance by Uncle Cowboy, I got all I could've wanted and more.

(Also: in the comments section of the 2-year anniversary episode (pre-redesign) someone joked that Paul Scheer does a great "Paul Scheer with a slightly deeper voice"-character, but Mulaney's old man is truly the top dog when it comes to "vocally-puzzling, indistinguishable from one's normal speaking voice"-characters.)

#4 savvyveteran

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 01:32 AM

Fuck. That posted twice, but I'm totally going to save it by posting a link to that bit and pretending that's what I meant to do all along:

#5 Caroline Anderson

Earwolf Incarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 02:06 AM

Zach- If you visit the performer's page you can see their list of characters.

#6 Julia Hays

Earwolf Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey native. New to Los Angeles.

Posted 06 June 2011 - 04:02 AM

Glad to know I'm not the only one watching inordinate amounts of Law & Order and its spin-offs.

Also, the "bag of oats" comment about Sex & the City was hilarious!

#7 savestheday

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 04:03 AM

That really was a great plane break.

#8 Naylor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 04:12 AM

Plane breaks should be a compulsory segment. Joint best section along with plugs

#9 Bob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 05:58 AM

The sound quality was good and it was free.

#10 Vasectomist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 06:21 AM

Oh Fabrice, 'More Than Words' was an Extreme song. By the way, Stefon is by far my favorite SNL character. When Bill cracks up I can't help myself. Actually Stefon would be a great character in SVU, there could be a midget transvestite murder in a seedy club and he could be Marishka's Hardandgay helper.

#11 Papa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:18 AM

Oh wow Mulaney is so goddamned quick, great great episode. Nick Kroll can do anything

#12 Papa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:22 AM

Oh wow Mulaney is so goddamned quick, great great episode. Nick Kroll can do anything

#13 Papa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:25 AM

#14 Jim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:53 AM

If someone could draw a picture of everyone in the booth during that second segment (Fabrice Fabrice, Don Pardo as Marv Albert, George St. Geegland and Gil Faizon, John Mulvaney, Nick Kroll, and Scott Aukerman) I would be eternally grateful.

#15 Jim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:53 AM

If someone could draw a picture of everyone in the booth during that second segment (Fabrice Fabrice, Don Pardo as Marv Albert, George St. Geegland and Gil Faizon, John Mulvaney, Nick Kroll, and Scott Aukerman) I would be eternally grateful.

#16 Jim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:54 AM

#17 Jim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:55 AM

If someone could draw a picture of everyone in the booth during that second segment (Flying Fabrice Fabrice, Don Pardo as Marv Albert, Uncle Cowboy, George St. Geegland and Gil Faizon, the Coen Brothers, John Mulaney, Nick Kroll, and Scott Aukerman) I would be eternally grateful.

#18 gloshi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 12:40 PM

Rock Radio with Scott Raukerman

#19 madeyouread

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 02:03 PM

I'll just leave this here:

http://youtu.be/5QD5n98R_nk

#20 Roy Ziegler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 06 June 2011 - 11:48 PM

Nick Kroll should start doing his own podcast. I'd love to hear his characters interact like PFT does in the Tomkast. Mulaney was hilarious also, but Kroll is definitely in the top 3 of comedians who do characters on CDR/CBB.