🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
RyanSz

Doug Loves Movies Challenge

I'm sure if you're listening to this podcast you also listen to Doug Loves Movies and have heard about the DLM Challenge. The overall goal is to see if you can watch 365 movies in a single year and it can be pretty daunting if you lose pace at any point, I barely made it last year mostly due to binging a bunch of movies at the end of the year. Yet this year I'm really going for it and know Fister Roboto is as well, but wanted to know if anyone else is doing it and how well. I'm currently at 169 movies after seeing Keanu.

• Like 1

I take it this is new releases in the cinemas?

If it is then you'd have to be a fucken millionaire to do it here in the UK.

they have to be new movies to you ... it can be any movie as long as youve never seen. i did it last year and i have to say .. thank you Netflix ... come december i had to fit about 25 movies into 2 weeks ... my health genuinely suffered because of it .. and i realised that there are alot of terrible movies out there .... alot!

Oh, in that case I might give it a whirl. I doubt I'd last a month though.

And thank fuck for Netflix. Otherwise bankrupting myself and hanging out in Bangor Omniplex - never the most salubrious of cinemas in the first place - during all my free time would have no doubt resulted on me being put on some sort of list. No matter how innocent the reason.

"Honest, officer, its for an internet thing." isnt going to sound too convincing, is it.

See when I've heard Doug explain it on the show he just said 365 movies, no repeats during the year, not that they had to be new to you.

• Like 1

See when I've heard Doug explain it on the show he just said 365 movies, no repeats during the year, not that they had to be new to you.

he always points it on in the minis ... but its your challenge .. the fact that it had to be a new movie to me really meant i watched alot of crappy movies last year. and by the end i was just watching them because i had to .. took some of the fun out of it to be honest

he always points it on in the minis ... but its your challenge .. the fact that it had to be a new movie to me really meant i watched alot of crappy movies last year. and by the end i was just watching them because i had to .. took some of the fun out of it to be honest

Yeah I do an annual horror movie binge during October, the record being 110 last year, and I gotta say Prime has A LOT of shitty free movies.

Yeah, I heard Doug say something a couple weeks ago in an episode about challenging his listeners to watch something that was "new to them." I'm trying to keep my watches to less than 10% previously watched movies.

I'm currently at 154, which puts me 6 movies behind where I should be (today is day #160 of the year), but I have a big weekend of movies planned. I enjoy movies in the theater more (partly because it forces me to avoid distractions), so I go to a shitload of matinees.

Right now I'm at 198 with about 15% being previously seen. Netflix just added a buttload of new movies, which are pretty decent.

• Like 1

Right now I'm at 198 with about 15% being previously seen. Netflix just added a buttload of new movies, which are pretty decent.

Shit, dude. At that rate, you're gonna end up with over 400.

Shit, dude. At that rate, you're gonna end up with over 400.

Yeah last year I ended up at 376 due to a last quarter rush of movies, especially in October. Since I work two jobs for six days a week I treat my lone day off as a real lazy day and just cram in movies or video games. Only problem is now I have a bunch of TV shows I gotta catch up on. Thank god I can read comics while working in my library or I'd be so behind on all my pop culture vices.

how do you all keep track of them all, like how do you know how many movies you've watch?

Not that I am doing the doug loves movies challenge, just curious.

jarrycanada, I use Letterboxd.

It has the perfect system for tracking plus you can make specific lists for just the DLM challenge and the 52 Films by Women challenge that I'm also doing.

how do you all keep track of them all, like how do you know how many movies you've watch?

i kept a spreadsheet last year. i recorded all dougs movies on the same sheet along with a running total run time for our adventure. my 365 movies took up a total of 25.35 days where as doug took 26.09 days to complete it.

its pretty shocking when you think about. it took me ages to watch a movie after i reached 365. i was burned out. before the challenge i used to watch 3 or 4 movies a week, now im happy watching one. and my health hasnt been right since. im serious, ive never been to the doctor so much before last year. and i mean he's a nice enough fella but im sick of seeing him

Not that I am doing the doug loves movies challenge, just curious.

I just keep a Google sheet with the movie, date (so I can keep track of how many I see in a particular month), cost, and my rating. I didn't do the time thing just because I totally don't want a reminder of how long I've spent staring at a screen.

I'm just writing a list in Word, I don't even want to think of the total time spent. I think I did that one year for my October binge and it just depressed me. The only thing I keep on a spreadsheet movie-wise are the DVDs/Blu Rays that I own, which currently stands at 1,236, and I also include the genre and release year because I have a few movies along with their remakes.

Odeon Limitless Card, £17.99 per month, go as often as you want.

• Like 1

Odeon Limitless Card, £17.99 per month, go as often as you want.

My friend lives in Paris, and they have something similar there. Makes me so jealous because I can (and have) easily spend more than that just doing a day full of matinees.

Edit: Never mind! I just discovered that Alamo Drafthouse accepts MoviePass now. FUCKING GAME CHANGER. (although it's a bummer that they only allow one movie every 24 hours)

I once did a thing I dubbed "The Cinemarathon", three movies, one day, and because I had a reward card, and it was on the discount day, I got in three films for £6, however, if I paid full price, it would have been £30, and that's before my popcorn etc.

I once did a thing I dubbed "The Cinemarathon", three movies, one day, and because I had a reward card, and it was on the discount day, I got in three films for £6, however, if I paid full price, it would have been £30, and that's before my popcorn etc.

The most I've done in a single theater was two, though one day I split 21 Jump Street, Cabin In the Woods, and The Raid:Redemption between two theaters and had the single greatest theater viewing experience in my life.

The most I've done in a single theater was two, though one day I split 21 Jump Street, Cabin In the Woods, and The Raid:Redemption between two theaters and had the single greatest theater viewing experience in my life.

Last month, my local Alamo Drafthouse did "Denzel Watchingthon." Five DW movies, and I think it was, like, $20 or something. Last year, I went to two different Japanese movie marathons. One was called East Meets Weird, and it was five off-the-wall Japanese movies handpicked by the theater's founder. It ended with Why Don't You Play in Hell?, which is the movie that made me learn about my current favorite Japanese director, Sion Sono. At that marathon, I won tickets to a marathon of Hitoshi Matsuomoto's films that was showing in conjunction with the US release of R100. (BTW, R100 and Why Don't You Play in Hell? are both on Amazon Prime right now, and if you haven't seen them, you should correct that)

Then again, this is the theater that does "Butt-Numb-A-Thon" every year, which is a 24-hour marathon of weird shit for Harry Knowles' birthday (to which I've been unsuccessful in securing tickets for three years running).

Currently at 261 with 207 being new. I'm trying to reach or get close to 365 new by October when I start my month long horror binge. Most of the new ones I've watched have been really good, namely Kill Your Friends which is on Prime right now and is a British version of American Psycho set in British recording industry in the late 90s when Britpop was huge. Another is Green Room starring Anton Yelchin and Patrick Stewart in a tense thriller about a punk band trying to break away from Skinheads trying to kill them after they witness a murder.

Just reached 365 total for the year, 299 new, watching Blue Ruin.

Now I've reached 365 new to me movies for the year with an overall total of 443. Most likely not going to do this again next year as it's tiring as shit, though I may replace it by binge watching TV shows on various online video platforms.