🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 61 - A Suburban High School History Class on The First Day of Black History Month: Live from Largo

Paul F. Tompkins welcomes the people right here and people out there, to a LIVE episode of Spontaneanation, recorded at the world-famous Largo at The Coronet! This week, Paul’s special guest is returning champion and hip-hop artist Open Mike Eagle! They chat about why Mike might have a long face, what caused the end of Mike's graffiti career, and having his son be a part of some of his live shows. Paul is then joined by Jordan Black, Nyima Funk, and Daniele Gaither to improvise a story set in A Suburban High School History Class on The First Day of Black History Month. And as always, Eban (only the best) Schletter scores it all on piano! SPONTANEANATION LIVE returns to Largo on Saturday, June 4th, with improvisors Nyima Funk, Colleen Smith and Chris Tallman, with special interview guest Robyn Hitchcock! Tickets are available now: bit.ly/SPONT616

This is why Spontaneanation is the best - I would have never thought that I would be typing "That part with the Velveteen Rabbit killed me" on a message board...

• Like 3

I got a little nervous for this one when it seemed like they didn't quite get how the buttons were supposed to work...but it ended up being quite enjoyable. Loved the giraffe stuff at the end.

• Like 1

Spontaneanation first-timers who are not only game for copious singing, but launch into Happy Birthday with no prompting from Paul whatsoever? Yes please!

• Like 10

Even though the improvisers don't usually chime in during the interview, I very much enjoyed the copious chiming in/hijacking that happened. The improv was one of the more chaotic and convoluted ones, veering away from the original location, but it came to a very satisfying conclusion with the singing and the lessons learned. And the giraffes, of course. I like the toilet paper as a symbol of white privilege. I got up half way through the episode to use the bathroom but there was only TP in the men's room and not the ladies'. Male privilege too, then.

So no studio episodes recorded between early December and early February? Probably a good thing for Paul and Eban's sanity and the currentness of plugs and topical references, as much as it's also good to have lots of banked episodes to look forward to.

• Like 3

Those spontaneanation earrings. AMAZING

"people are dumb"

"Historically, black people need something to wipe their asses with" FINALLY, someone is talking about this

The crowd reaction when she said that some black lives don't matter...my god, if this episode was recorded this week, the crowd may have lit the place on fire.

One of the most joyous live episodes I've heard. The happy birthday song(s) sleighed me

Sign in to follow this