🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
ChristopherEstrada

Only God Forgives

With The Neon Demon coming out soon, I would love to see a truly divisive film. I know Devin reviewed it for BMD and loved it, but interested to see if his opinion changed and what Amy has to say. Also just getting a discussion about the themes and meanings, and Kristin Scott Thomas' insane dragon lady performance.

If you did the trilogy of Valhalla Rising, Drive, and Only God Forgives, I think that could make for a compelling episode. Refn is a great filmmaker. Only God Forgives is a great film. I'd love to see it, or something by Refn, discussed at some point.

I adore Only God Forgives and a discussion between Amy and Devin would be fantastic, but I don't really think it qualifies for "The Canon". Maybe Vs. Drive?

I do like the idea of pairing it against Drive, if only because they'll inevitably be comparing the two during the episode.

I happen to like both, but I wonder if the reception that Only God Forgives got, plus the early buzz on Neon Demon, tarnishes people's view of Drive in hindsight.

I happen to like both, but I wonder if the reception that Only God Forgives got, plus the early buzz on Neon Demon, tarnishes people's view of Drive in hindsight.

I don't think it has at all. If anything, it makes people yearn for more films like Drive. I know in some parts that people who love it have become a bit of a punchline, but Drive is so, so classic to me. It was a non-franchise $15 million dollar film that blew up and became actually iconic. There have been plenty of definitely classic and popular small films since, but none as iconic as Drive with the scorpion jacket, the perfect soundtrack of Cliff Martinez + synth pop, Gosling's performance, and hell ill even say TOOTHPICKS remind people of it. It's the kind of film that feels like a once-every-few-years deal at this point and it'd suck if it were voted away from the Canon.

I think Drive and especially Pusher are more devisive and interesting Refn films for consideration. Refn for sure deserves some talk. I really like Valhalla Rising, but I think it'd be tough to discuss.

I think Drive and especially Pusher are more devisive and interesting Refn films for consideration. Refn for sure deserves some talk. I really like Valhalla Rising, but I think it'd be tough to discuss.

Drive? More divisive? Definitely not

Well I don't think Only God Forgive will get enough "yes" support to be divisive. People loved Drive, and I think I'd vote yes, but I get the feeling from your post that you think it'd be a shutout. I imagine it would be much closer. There's definitely a "Drive is overrated" crowd.

Sign in to follow this