🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

BONUS: A Conversation with Mel Brooks

Great conversation! I really want to one day hear him talk more about "The Elephant Man", Mel and David Lynch are two of my favourites, and I'm really curious how they interacted. All I know is that Mel produced the film uncredited so people wouldn't think it was a comedy.

• Like 1

Worth a listen (WTF episode with Marc Maron).

He also did an episode of the Nerdist. Not sure he talked about the WW2 stuff then but Mel's always fun to listen to if you're interested.

• Like 1

Worth a listen (WTF episode with Marc Maron).

I need to listen to this now. I'm not a HUGE Mel Brooks fan. I grew up with a couple of his movies that I really enjoy, but I don't hold him in the same reverence that a lot of people do.

What I love about this interview is that Mel never seems to have any ego to defend around this. He's so charming and takes a very "listen to this crazy-ass shit" approach to it. He really embraces that this was something he did that just ended up being what it is.

• Like 3

I listen to HDTGM and Doug Loves Movies religiously. On a tournament ep of DLM, Samm Levine made a comment that, on Oscar night, he goes to a dinner with a bunch of older actors so he can listen to their stories. I now understand what Samm meant because Mel Brooks just gave that to me. Is there anything more enjoyable than "old Hollywood" reminding you of what it used to be like, before the 90's technological advances destroyed that mystique?

I have always adored Mel Brooks, but now I feel as if I cannot get enough. I want a weekly podcast about him, his stories, and his life. And. yes, I get that a podcast is an end result of the 90's technological advances that have destroyed so much. Cruel irony!!!!