🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
action52

PROPOSAL: All "versus" episodes have a "neither" option

"Neither" Option: Yes or Nay?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think all versus episodes should have a "neither" option?

Just an idea I have. The reason I think it's important, is that this is supposed to be ultimately up to the audience to decide. But if Devin and Amy pick two movies, neither of which are canon-worthy, it means that one of them has to get in by default. Theoretically they could use it to get a movie they like but know most people wouldn't vote in favor of by pitting it against a title nobody likes.

I am not saying they have done this. I think in all the versus episodes, the movie that won was one that probably would have gotten into the canon anyway.

But I think it's a good idea to have a "neither" option, mostly as insurance. If Devin and Amy are doing their jobs right, "never" won't even come close to winning. But this will weed out any bad movies if we do have versus episodes with no good option in the future.

Even if this poll comes out strongly in favor of a "neither" option I only intend it as a suggestion. I fully respect it if they decide they don't want to add a "neither" option, no matter what the reason.

EDIT: Amy and Devin have said on the podcast that they won't do this. I'm going to let the poll stand, but anybody reading this months or years from now: just so you know, a "neither" option will not be added regardless of people's opinions.

I think a good versus with a "neither" option would be The Breakfast Club vs. Ferris Bueller's Day Off, because FUCK JOHN HUGHES!!!

• Like 1

I think a good versus with a "neither" option would be The Breakfast Club vs. Ferris Bueller's Day Off, because FUCK JOHN HUGHES!!!

You can just see yourself right on out.

• Like 2

Actually, there were a couple of vs episodes I would've been glad if there was a "neither" option. Animal House vs Revenge Of The Nerds comes to mind, and also Let Me In vs. Let The Right One In.

• Like 3

I personally like the idea that versus episodes can be a sophie's choice either way. Whether you love both films or hate both of them, you have to vote one in and one out. If we're adding a "neither" option we might as well add a "both" option and then we might as well get rid of versus all together.

• Like 1

I personally like the idea that versus episodes can be a sophie's choice either way. Whether you love both films or hate both of them, you have to vote one in and one out. If we're adding a "neither" option we might as well add a "both" option and then we might as well get rid of versus all together.

I don't think a "both"-option would make any sense, there I agree with you. That would suck out all the tensions, wouldn't it? And I do believe that versus episodes are ideallly a Sophie's Choice. But let's see into this a bit more precise: In the film, Sophie has to choose that only one can survive, either your son or our daughter, not that either one HAS to survive. The Nazi in the film points out specifically, that if Sophie doesn't make her choice, they both are going to die. So technically, it's the choice is either of the siblings, or neither.

Now, that is a terrible thing to choose from, and the neither-option obviously doesn't stick to you when you wathch the film, given the horrible circumstances. But, we are not talking about human beings, we are discussing films here. People make mistakes. And really, if you see through the list of the films added to the canon, and you read: "500 blows", "it's a wonderful life", "nights of the cabiria", "annie hall", "the godfather 1 + 2" and "animal house", can you point to the one that feels a bit awkward? I'm not saying in any way that animal house doesn't have its merits, or doesn't belong to the canon, I simply think a "neither"-option would enrich the conversation.

No. The whole idea is that in the versus episodes one of the movies MUST go into the canon. Some people will like that, some people will dislike that.

If you don't like either movie, I suggest you do like I do in those cases: just don't vote.

• Like 1

I was out of state all last week, so I missed this discusion as well as the Boyz In Tha Hood episode. I probably should continue to miss this one, since I can't decide either way, but I wanted to say so.

I do love the idea of being forced to choose between two. There's a fun tension to that. But I'm also with the others that if you want to be invested in what goes into the Canon, then you're bothered when an Animal House is "forced" into the Canon just because one has to go in. When I can't decide, I don't vote in the poll, and in fact I'm doing it in this one. Maybe that's an implicit vote for keeping it as is.

...But I have a proposal! Tell me if I'm full of shit with this one.

On a versus episode you put up TWO polls: One for the versus, and a separate one for "should we put neither in the Canon."

1) The first poll would act as normal. Whoever gets the majority of the votes wins and goes into the Canon

2) The second poll would determine, independently, and without splitting votes, whether neither deserve entry. If you think one or both do, you vote against it. If you think both options fall short, you vote for it.

The innovation is this: The "Neither" vote requires more than 50% to pass: it can be as low as 60% and as high as 75%. Maybe 80%.

Let's say it's 75%. It's Animal House vs. Revenge of the Nerds and both polls go up. Everyone votes for which one they think is better no matter what. Then they separately vote whether both should be tossed out or not. This 2nd vote wins in a landslide 90% vote because both of those movies are average-to-awful. If either movie in this system has a fighting chance at support then it won't pass the high "Neither" threshold, and no votes are split. It retains the shape and the tension of the status quo while giving us an emergency veto option.

If this sounds legit please reply to it. Or with vicious takedowns, but I think it'd fit the podcast well.

• Like 1

If this sounds legit please reply to it. Or with vicious takedowns, but I think it'd fit the podcast well.

Not a takedown - but I do think this would be an overly complicated process for an entertainment podcast. A simple "yes" or "no", that's easily understandable, that's catchy, that's interesting. It boils down the whole thing to a very dramatic conclusion fitting a podcast.

Because in the end it doesn't *really* matter what goes into the canon and what is left behind - it's "just" a cool gimmick to make us feel ownership and be involved. And it's doing a damn good job at that.

• Like 2

Well, Devin and Amy have made it clear they don't want to do this. Thank you for listening and considering it!

I think the fun of the vs episodes is that two movies enter one movie lives. It becomes a debate of strategy that is occasionally hinged upon making a devils argument for a movie you might not like just to position a worse movie out of the running.

See, normally I'd be FINE with it, but, apparently, only the Woody Allen (Annie Hall vs. Manhattan) episode would likely be "qualified" for this.

99% of the time, you're just throwing your vote away. "None" is so Gary Johnson.

Personally, this would ruin versus episodes for me. If there was a "neither" option, it doesn't force people to take sides, even if they're not sure about either movie. I like that aspect of versus episodes.

Sign in to follow this