🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 62 - IKEA in Narnia: Live from The Atlantic Ocean

Paul F. Tompkins welcomes all of ye-- seekers, suckers, and more-- to a LIVE episode of Spontaneanation, recorded in front of a live audience on board JoCo Cruise 2016! This week, Paul’s special guest is rapper/actress/writer Jean Grae! They chat about the last time Jean felt tricked, the difficulties of boutique store shopping in New York City, and the worst part of being an adult. Paul is then joined by Matt Gourley, Amanda Lund, and Little Janet Varney to improvise a story set in an IKEA in Narnia. And as always, Eban (only the best) Schletter scores it all on piano! Thanks to Brian Irwin for the show pics and Nathan Diffee for the artwork.

SPONTANEANATION LIVE returns to Largo on Saturday, June 4th, with improvisors Nyima Funk, Colleen Smith and Chris Tallman, with special interview guest Robyn Hitchcock! Tickets are available now: bit.ly/SPONT616

PFT's NOTES

- The thing that didn't happen that I wanted to happen that I said I was disappointed when it didn't happen was for Eban to replicate the guitaric wolf-whistle from The Steve Miller Band's "The Joker" when I said "Some people call you Maurice!"

- Anytime I played the role of "Mr. Tumnus," I stood on the balls of my feet to simulate goat legs!

• Like 3

Havnt listened yet and it seems unlikely but I wonder if Dr. Baseball Ecstasy will make an appearance....

I like how the episode is called "IKEA in Narnia: Live from the Atlantic Ocean," and it seems like both of those things should be fake, but only one of them is.

I can't get over "I'm a Happy Feet penguin," in Matt Gourley's specific way of speaking. Little Janet Varney killing it with the genius callbacks! Amanda's dolphin story was adorable. I liked Jean's childhood stories because I could really picture them. Carol the Pisces pirate! Casey and her human prayers, to which God responds! The severed head! Just an awesome and silly episode all around!

• Like 4

- The thing that didn't happen that I wanted to happen that I said I was disappointed when it didn't happen was for Eban to replicate the guitaric wolf-whistle from The Steve Miller Band's "The Joker" when I said "Some people call you Maurice!"

I knew it!

Was it Little Janet who first introduced Blythe Danner? Because that was pretty fucking great.

• Like 1

After Cackowski/Gourley and MEJ/PFT, I will not be satisfied until every single Spontaneanation regular plays either Aslan or the White Witch at a live show.

Also, I will never stop smiling any time Eban slips in some Disneyland music.

• Like 2

You get a sense now why Gourley and Amanda Lund are a couple. Both giant fans of fearless blind groping into things they don't seem to really understand. Works real well.

• Like 1

God bless the Howl.fm family for keeping all the references of my youth fresh, dropping Lollapalooza-performing circus-folk references like 1996 was only a few years ago.

• Like 1

The only podcast where I look forward to the commercials - especially the ones recorded on tour. The phone ringing mid-ad is right up there with the airport announcements. Bless you, PFT, and your busy schedule.

• Like 3

I don't know why Jean Grae slipped my mind but she's a fantastic rapper. This was just the reminder I needed to go dig through my old hard drive and transfer her music onto the new hard drive. It's good stuff guys, highly recommended. Tied with Little Simz for best female MC since Lauryn Hill. Definitely underrated. I had no idea she was so personable and funny as well.

I don't know why Jean Grae slipped my mind but she's a fantastic rapper. This was just the reminder I needed to go dig through my old hard drive and transfer her music onto the new hard drive. It's good stuff guys, highly recommended. Tied with Little Simz for best female MC since Lauryn Hill. Definitely underrated. I had no idea she was so personable and funny as well.

Quick nerdy question: Has Jean Grae ever collaborated with Kitty Pryde?

Quick nerdy question: Has Jean Grae ever collaborated with Kitty Pryde?

They have pretty different styles of rapping imo. I doubt it would work. As far as I know, no. Interesting that they both picked their stage names based off X men. Although I'm not even sure that was the inspiration for Jean Grae. Kitty seems like more the type of person to be into comic books than Grae. I don't consider Kitty to be a particularly good MC though. Jean Grae doing a collab with Little Simz though... that would be raw af.

<- Jean

<- Simz

Those two would be a force to be reckon with on the same track...

Sign in to follow this