🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 137.5 - Minisode 137.5

Taylor Anne, congrats on new fave status.

giphy.gif

Me when I heard that!

BUT THEN ME WHEN PAUL WANTED TO TALK TRASH ABOUT SPICE WORLD AGAIN

giphy.gif

PAUL, DO YOU WANNA FIGHT ME?! COME AT ME BRO I WILL STILL DEFEND SPICE WORLD!

• Like 8

Does anyone else feel like the oral history stuff is starting to take over? Like, they're choosing which movies to do based more on who they can get to talk about them than how crazy or bad they are?

I literally don't want to listen to How Did This Get Made to hear how these movies got made!

Does anyone else feel like the oral history stuff is starting to take over? Like, they're choosing which movies to do based more on who they can get to talk about them than how crazy or bad they are?

I literally don't want to listen to How Did This Get Made to hear how these movies got made!

We already went through this a few threads ago. Paul said that this isn't a thing that's going to happen.

• Like 3

No. Directly from Paul:

Blake has never dictated an article. I always pick movies with Avaryl (Movie Bitches) and Nate - they often have seen them before and we try to find stuff that will breed an interesting conversation and be fun and different. But back to Blake after the movie is picked I tell him what we are doing. His approval isn't a consideration for me.
  • Like 5

i watched the hitcher last. its nuts. the phase "well that escalated quickly" came to mind. but on the dvd there is a very interesting extra with a title that caught my eye ... but its well worth a watch if you can find it

9awz8o.jpg

and just on a fun note ... how did this get left in the movie .. had to rewind a few times

hitcherkick.gif

My lip-reading skills are weak. What is he saying (or is something else what's being noted)?

• Like 1

I have not thought about Dragonheart in over a decade. I vaguely remember enjoying it as a child, but looking back on my memory of specific scenes I do not think that the movie is going to stand the test of time. Sean Connery’s voice over work as a child felt awesome, but as an adult I would be waiting for him to give Dennis Quad’s character love advice that involved “giving that red head a firm pop in the mouth” which really takes the whimsy out of the movie.tumblr_lx7uvyJzjh1qf7dauo1_500.jpg

Also does anyone else find the king’s character, played by David Thewlis, in Dragonheart similar to Dudley Moore’s character in Arthur? I feel like King Einon is just Arthur if he had been a really mean drunk. Arthur is another terrible movie that could be worthy of the How Did This Get Made treatment.

• Like 1

I have to say that I'm a bit hesitant to revisit Dragonheart. I remember really liking it when it came out, buuuuut I was also 15 and had really shitty taste. I kind of feel the same as a few others so far and think it's just going to be a "well, that was mediocre" kind of movie and not a really bad movie.

• Like 2

I was 12 when Dragonheart came out so, of course, I was all about it. Dragons voiced by James Bond/Indiana Jones' Dad? HELL YES. I have not revisited out of my desire to keep my good childhood memories from being sullied by my adult brain getting yet more evidence that I was a dumbshit as a kid. I already have plenty of that.

Those Temeraire books are great. GIVE ME ALL THE DRAGONS.

Also, I must wholeheartedly endorse all of Paul's Picks this week, especially the Vision comic. That is an astonishing piece of art and one of the best comics to come around in years. It is a privilege to read it every month. If there is any justice in this world (I know there isn't, but one can hope), it will be considered one of the great meditations on the nature of artificial life and "what makes a man a man." It's... pretty good.

• Like 3

I have to say that I'm a bit hesitant to revisit Dragonheart. I remember really liking it when it came out, buuuuut I was also 15 and had really shitty taste. I kind of feel the same as a few others so far and think it's just going to be a "well, that was mediocre" kind of movie and not a really bad movie.

That was pretty much exactly my experience. I don't want to sound like I'm defending the movie or anything, it's just the kind of movie that I've seen once, liked when I was a kid, and never really thought about ever again. In fact, when Paul announced it, I was like, "Oh yeah...I remember that movie. Huh..."

It's not to say that there aren't flaws, it's just sort of exceptionally mediocre. It also made me think of, I think it was, Tim Heidecker on the Timothy Green episode saying something like, "I'm judging this based on it's intended audience" and under that criteria, I think it works. It's a fantasy film for kids made in the 1990's with 1990's technology. It's cute and I even got a little misty at the end. Also, my son seemed to like it.

I mean, I guess, in a weird way, I'm happy about it. If they're going to open it up to middle of the road 90's movies, then I'm confident HDTGM will be set for years. God knows there are enough of them. For example, and I know I've brought this movie up before, but I though this movie was better than, say, The Lost World: Jurassic Park. That's a movie where unlikeable characters do insanely stupid things and ends in the most ridiculous way possible. I find it to be utterly unwatchable

• Like 4

That was pretty much exactly my experience. I don't want to sound like I'm defending the movie or anything, it's just the kind of movie that I've seen once, liked when I was a kid, and never really thought about ever again. In fact, when Paul announced it, I was like, "Oh yeah...I remember that movie. Huh..."

See when he announced it I got confused and thought of that Brendan Fraser movie Inkheart. Which has about the same rating on IMDb but like 20 percent less on RT. Maybe would have been a better choice.

I don't have any memory of DragonHeart being released and I know my mom would have never taken me to see it so this really flew by without me having any knowledge of its existence.

• Like 3

See when he announced it I got confused and thought of that Brendan Fraser movie Inkheart. Which has about the same rating on IMDb but like 20 percent less on RT. Maybe would have been a better choice.

I don't have any memory of DragonHeart being released and I know my mom would have never taken me to see it so this really flew by without me having any knowledge of its existence.

Inkheart?! As in a movie that managed to make Paul Bettany a sexy, fire-wielding, rogue?

tumblr_ljyp5vZf7c1qg9t1lo1_400.gif

Honestly, I think they are of about the same quality. Benign and forgettable. I actually like them both, or--at least in Inkheart's case--remember liking okay. I think I have a movie that is perfectly analogous to how I feel about Dragonheart, and that would be First Knight. They're the kind of movies that you put on on a rainy Sunday afternoon, but don't really think about too much afterwards. I mean, I can intuit what they're going to say about it, but I'm not sure it's really worth it--especially when a lot of it can be brushed away as "well, it's a fantasy." I hope I'm surprised, but I think we're going to get a lot about Thewlis in general, Quaid's voice, the fact that "England" looks like California (although it's not, I looked it up), the slow pacing, and the overall creepiness of the dragon's face and some of his dialog. They may also touch upon how the female character looks pretty good considering she's a peasant in England circa 900. I'm also relatively sure that there will be some talk about how it was by the same director who did xXx and The Fast and the Furious--specifically how the action in those movies compare to the action in Dragonheart. However, I hope I'm wrong. They're funny regardless, and I know it will be a good episode, I just hope they are able to mine it for something interesting.

Okay, I'm done talking about it Dragonheart for now. Now, on to THE LIST GAME!

I was wondering how you all would rank the last five movies you've seen. I'm not talking about specific genres or favorites of all time, just the last five movies you've most recently seen. They can be movies you've seen before. For my list, I'm going to include HDTGM movies (so they'll actually be seven of them), but I'll mark them with asterisks since they were movies I would not have otherwise taken the time to see. I'm just curious as to what you're all watching...

1) What We Do In Shadows

2) Kung Fu Panda 3

Dragonheart *

3) Pride & Prejudice & Zombies

The Avengers (1998) *

4) Cinderella (2015)

5) Gods of Egypt

• Like 1

I was wondering how you all would rank the last five movies you've seen. I'm not talking about specific genres or favorites of all time, just the last five movies you've most recently seen. They can be movies you've seen before. For my list, I'm going to include HDTGM movies (so they'll actually be seven of them), but I'll mark them with asterisks since they were movies I would not have otherwise taken the time to see. I'm just curious as to what you're all watching...

1) What We Do In Shadows

2) Kung Fu Panda 3

Dragonheart *

3) Pride & Prejudice & Zombies

The Avengers (1998) *

4) Cinderella (2015)

5) Gods of Egypt

I'm very behind on my movie watching as I've been slammed with work, editing photos, and comic con but here's my list.

1. Calvary (2014)

2. Notes on a Scandal (2006)

3. X-Men: Apocalypse (2016)

4. Victor Frankenstein (2015)

5. The Quiet Ones (2014)

6. The Avengers (1998)*

(I did what Cameron did and did 6 since I would not have watched The Avengers if it hadn't been for the podcast.)

Also wait I'm sorry, you're telling me you liked The Avengers more than Cinderella? I mean I haven't seen it but I fucking hated The Avengers so much that it seriously is now my least favorite movie of all time.

• Like 2

I'm looking forward to the sequel to What We Do in the Shadows.

My list:

1. Live and Let Die

2. Diamonds Are Forever

3. Man with the Golden Gun

4. The Do-Over

5. Bloodsport

I'm sorry.

• Like 3

I'm still doing the DLM Challenge, so I have a bunch and am going to do the last 10.

1) The Overnighters

2) Holy Hell

3) You're Next

4) A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night

5) Once

6) From Russia with Love

7) Trainwreck

8) The Night Before

9) Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (i'm watching all of the FF movies to date because of an old episode of the Blank Check podcast)

10) Fantastic Four (2005)

Also, because I've seen so many movies recently, The Lobster didn't make it to the last 10 in terms of recency, but it's my #1 film of the year so far (Sing Street is a pretty close second, even though John Carney has proven to be kind of an asshole).

• Like 2

Correction and Omission for "Ask Paul"... Gilligan's full name was Willy Gilligan, according to producer Sherwood Schwartz. This was disputed by Bob Denver, who insisted that it was simply "Gilligan." Ginger Grant and Thurston Howell III's full names were frequently mentioned, and a radio bulletin in the first episode referred to (Skipper) Jonas Grumby, (Professor) Roy Hinkley, and Mary Ann Summers. A later episode gave Lovey Howell the maiden name Eunice Wentworth.

And now you know.

• Like 1

Also, because I've seen so many movies recently, The Lobster didn't make it to the last 10 in terms of recency, but it's my #1 film of the year so far (Sing Street is a pretty close second, even though John Carney has proven to be kind of an asshole).

I can't wait to see the Lobster and I couldn't wait to see Sing Street but then that shit John Carney said pretty much put a bad filter over anything he makes from now on for me.

Begin Again wasn't even a bad film and was in my top 10 that year! Why did he need to shit on Keira's performance!?

• Like 1

giphy.gif

Me when I heard that!

BUT THEN ME WHEN PAUL WANTED TO TALK TRASH ABOUT SPICE WORLD AGAIN

giphy.gif

PAUL, DO YOU WANNA FIGHT ME?! COME AT ME BRO I WILL STILL DEFEND SPICE WORLD!

taylor anne, did you know that James Blunt wrote a song about you. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oofSnsGkops

Please don't ever leave us, you complete this forum.

• Like 2

I can't wait to see the Lobster and I couldn't wait to see Sing Street but then that shit John Carney said pretty much put a bad filter over anything he makes from now on for me.

WATCH the Lobster !! everyone watch that movie, then watch Jason Mantzoukas staring in Dirty Grandpa. poster to be posted at a later time or not.

rwovhz.jpg

• Like 2

My lip-reading skills are weak. What is he saying (or is something else what's being noted)?

Sorry, Cinco, I meant to respond to this earlier. I think it's the fact that when he's thrown on the hood of the car, his back leg flings back and kicks one of the guys in the back of the head--which is, insanely funny.

• Like 2

Begin Again wasn't even a bad film and was in my top 10 that year! Why did he need to shit on Keira's performance!?

I actually like Begin Again better than Once. I think the leads in Once really really boring, and Ruffalo/Knightley are pretty great together (although their 17-year age difference weirded me out because the first time I saw it, I thought it was setting them up to be together). Also, that role was originally supposed to go to Scarlett Johannson, and I feel like that would have been a total trainwreck.

I will say that Carney's apology helped redeem him a little bit for me. He didn't try to blame anyone else or make excuses he just said that he said some stupid shit and that he should have never said it. In Yes Please, Amy Poehler talks about how apologies shouldn't be an attempt to explain one's self or mitigate one's responsibility. It should be just saying, "I was wrong, and I'm sorry." I've taken that to heart in my own life, and that's the impression I got from his apology. So I'm definitely willing to cut him some slack for at least owning up to the fact that he was being an asshole.

All that said, I saw Sing Street before any of that shit went down, and I totally loved it. I'm a sucker for coming-of-age movies about weird kids, and that's exactly what that film is. But it's also a really great representation of that period in your life when you first really discover music. It's just a wonderful little film, and it has a GREAT soundtrack (which is obviously not a surprise).

The Lobster seems to be a really polarizing film. Everyone I know that's seen it either totally loves it or thinks it was "stupid hipster trash" (an actual concise review from someone this weekend who followed up that insightful criticism with lavish praise for Linklater's bully/bro-fest Everybody Wants Some!!)

• Like 1

I had a Netflix binge yesterday, so this was a great list suggestion

1. Cabin in the Woods

2. Minority Report

3. Wonder Woman

4. X-Men: Days of Future Past

5. Superman/Batman: Apocalypse

Side note: Andre Braugher needs to play more bad guys

giphy.gif

That's just him warming up

giphy.gif

The twist ending: HE KILLED HIS WIFE, HE OWNS A YELLOW SWEATER

• Like 5

I can't wait to see the Lobster and I couldn't wait to see Sing Street but then that shit John Carney said pretty much put a bad filter over anything he makes from now on for me

you just made me very happy. i was lucky enough to go to a screening of sing street a few months ago and i loved it. i went to the same kind of school as the main character and grew up around the same time. i could pretty much identify with the whole movie. nostalgia is a powerful thing. im delighted it got so much love in places like the uk and us. i wasn't sure how it would travel.

and i kept thinking it could easily be a U2 bio. one of the kids is the spit of the edge.

if you like it you should also check out "the snapper". its part of roddy doyles "barrytown trilogy" (the commitments, the snapper and the van). if you know any irish people ask them about the snapper. if they don't know it or say they don't like it tell them i said to hand in their passports ... its brilliant

"get outta me way a dozy bollocks" will be funny to me till i die

• Like 2