🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 63 - A Coffee Plantation in Bali: Live from SXSW

Paul F. Tompkins welcomes all Texans and those on the internet to this episode of Spontaneanation, recorded in front of a live audience at the 2016 South By Southwest Festival in Austin, TX! This week, Paul’s special guest is Who Charted? and Bajillion Dollar Propertie$' own Kulap Vilaysack! They chat about whom Kulap would kill first if murder were legal, getting into "gang" fights as a youth, and her time working at Hulk Hogan's Pastamania. Paul is then joined by his Bajillion Dollar Propertie$ co-stars Ryan Gaul, Mandell Maughan, Tawny Newsome, and Drew Tarver to improvise a story set in a Coffee Plantation in Bali. And as always, Eban (only the best) Schletter scores it all on piano!

The next live edition of Spontaneanation happens Saturday, August 6 at Largo at The Coronet! Join Paul & Eban as they welcome improvisors Dan Ahdoot, Tim Baltz and Tawny Newsome, and special interview guest Desmin Borges from You're The Worst! Tickets are on sale now!

This episode is sponsored by Leesa, Audible, Loot Crate, and Ritani.

• Like 2

We are up to March, the backlog is thinning!

• Like 1

The episode as foretold on that one episode of Hollywood Handbook

I think that there are very few things on the planet that PFT hates more than folks who yell out during the show (I love how he handles it).

• Like 3

Honestly, did I miss the announcement that this show would only be live from now on?
My guess is that Paul realized that being so far ahead of schedule might not be the best way to do the show (in terms of referencing current events and guests being able to promote stuff) and took a break from recording the studio eps for a while. That or he got busy with other stuff! This ep is a lot of fun.

I enjoy hearing Eban try to figure out what "Jerking off a whale" music sounds like. I think he nailed it.

More fun than a bundle of bananas!

In terms of scheduling, the Vancouver show and the June Largo show are releasing in August, and there's still the April live show to be released before that, so that means 6-9 studio episodes releasing between now and then, which were recorded between mid-March and early May, because PFT was on tour throughout May. Playing detective is fun!

• Like 3

Honestly, did I miss the announcement that this show would only be live from now on?

It just shook out that way. Due to my various other professional obligations and travel, I was unable to record on weekdays, which is when we record the studio episodes. We contributed with live recordings at Largo and a few other special settings.

We have resumed recording studio episodes.

• Like 10

Hulkster In Heaven is somehow real and not something Paul made up

• Like 6

We never really found out who Kulap would murder first, but can we all agree that it should be the guy in the audience who wouldn't stop "contributing" to the show? Oof, as they say, magoof.

• Like 3

I want to thank Paul for finally saying what we're all thinking about that StateFarm commercial! Although somehow even after seeing it thousands of times, when I started watching Bajillion I didn't even recognize Ryan Gaul as being from the commercial.

I'm also glad I wasn't the only one who immediately recognized that rendition of "Tomorrow" as "Good Morning".

I'm excited for the Bajillion cast to be added to the Regular Spontaneanation All-Star Rotation!

It just shook out that way. Due to my various other professional obligations and travel, I was unable to record on weekdays, which is when we record the studio episodes. We contributed with live recordings at Largo and a few other special settings.

We have resumed recording studio episodes.

Thanks for responding, PFT - I love your show, studio or otherwise, but for some reason the live episodes don't resonate with me as much as the studio-based ones!

• Like 2

For a Spont rookie, that was some EXPERT use of the flash forward effect by Drew to avoid having to do something (sing the long "tomorrow" song).

Super fun episode!

• Like 2

Drew Tarver is, to borrow a word from Scott Aukerman, fantastic. His appearance on the CBB Tour in Atlanta is one of the funniest moments of the tour.

• Like 2

For a Spont rookie, that was some EXPERT use of the flash forward effect by Drew to avoid having to do something (sing the long "tomorrow" song).

Yea, I like that the improvisors have a way to get out of "being pimped" to do something, but only if they remember to use the buttons.

Drew Tarver is, to borrow a word from Scott Aukerman, fantastic. His appearance on the CBB Tour in Atlanta is one of the funniest moments of the tour.

thats where he plays the old 70's singer that in massive debt and gets Refills at McDonalds right? that song he performed was fucking awesome. Drew Tarver has like an "it" thing about him. hes consistently hilarious in a PFT, Andy Daly manner.. i dont think he has nearly as much ability to have so many characters but he's pretty great

• Like 1

I'm a sucker for Hulk Hogan impressions so I was on board the moment it happened.

giphy.gif

Anytime I hear "Brother", I collapse in laughter

• Like 2

I haven't listened to the episode yet but already amused by how long I seriously wondered if Mandell Maughan went topless except for a Starbucks apron to the show.

fucking love Drew and Ryan's chemistry and i also love the live episodes!

• Like 1

I know some don't love the live episodes as much as studio-recorded eps but there's something about them that I really enjoy listening to.

Maybe the fact that there's so many visual gags that we can't see that make me crack up anyway, based on the other performer reactions? Or maybe just that it feels a little more unfettered and spontaneous(nation) - like anything could happen (and sometimes does - i.e. PFT falling off the stage). No idea really but I really do love them.

The Jon Hamm, Kristen Schaal, Keegan Michael Key and Scott Aukerman eps I've listened to way more than is healthy.

• Like 3

"I burp down there"

Also, does it not strike anyone else odd that a person interested in fitness owns a pasta restaurant?