🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Llewellyn_Wells

Similar film podcasts?

Hey, all, I'm looking for more podcasts on film. I listen to "You Must Remember This" and The Canon, and I'm looking for more podcasts that deal with all aspects of film, rather than the week-to-week ones that mostly cover upcoming blockbusters and new releases. I also listen to selected episodes of the DGA podcast and The Close Up.

You're all a smart bunch, and I trust ya! What are your recommendations? I'm looking for golden age of Hollywood stuff, New Hollywood, French New Wave, anything really.

Devin & Amy, if you read this, I'd love to hear your recommendations, too!

The website went ceased publication a year ago but the Dissolve podcasts were really good and everything is still online. It's very academic but if enjoyed film classes you should like the Dissolve. It's too bad it no longer exists as that was exactly what I was looking for in a film website and podcast.

• Like 1

Filmspotting is pretty fantastic.

The website went ceased publication a year ago but the Dissolve podcasts were really good and everything is still online. It's very academic but if enjoyed film classes you should like the Dissolve. It's too bad it no longer exists as that was exactly what I was looking for in a film website and podcast.

Good news! If you loved the Dissolved, (most of) the writers have a new podcast out there - The Next Picture Show. It is also fantastic.

• Like 3

I enjoy the conversations on Earwolf's own Maltin on Movies. Leonard's original co-host (comedian Baron Vaughn) is away working on two separate TV shows, so lately he's been interviewing people like Susan Sarandon, Alec Baldwin, and fellow film buff/podcaster Dana Gould.

I like the Maltin on Movies format when Baron Von Vaughn cohosts but haven't enjoyed the guest episodes where they don't stick to the format. The Alec Baldwin episode wasn't too bad though.

Filmspotting is pretty fantastic.

Good news! If you loved the Dissolved, (most of) the writers have a new podcast out there - The Next Picture Show. It is also fantastic.

Hey, I wanted to suggest exactly the same podcasts. These are awsome shows. I used to listen to Filmspotting when Matty Ballgame was still part of it... I enjoy Josh and Adam, but that guy was a league of his own... I tend to prefer the sacred cow episodes, and sometimes the marathon episodes, where they get really into the deep matter of things.

As for the Next Picture Show, Apart from being a great show, I really enjoy the extremely convoluted and elaborated intros into the different segments. It's worth listening for that alone.

Otherwise, I enjoy listening to (and watching) Half In The Bag. Granted, not every episode is great, and sometimes the in-jokes are a bit tedious, and I'm not always in the mood for bro-humor... but when they dig a bit deeper, they often come up with some pretty smart and original opinions, as shown in the Jack And Jill episode and the Boyhood discussion.

• Like 2

Faculty of Horror is a podcast from two girls using their graduate degrees to analyze horror films. Really interesting podcast. Not boring like I made it sound

Blank Check with Griffin and David is also a funny podcast that examines the enitre film trajectory of a big budget director like George Lucas and Shyamalan and the Wachowskis

• Like 1

One thing I really like about the Canon, the Dissolve and what I've heard today on The Last Picture Show is that they assume you watched the movie and don't make any attempt to keep it spoiler-free. I don't really listen to podcasts to hear about a movie before seeing it. I want critique and dissection not previews and general recommendations. With Maltin on Movies, I often skip ahead anyway if I haven't seen the movie. I just want their take on a movie I've already seen. I wish they wouldn't hold back to avoid spoilers.

haaaaaaaaaaalllllllf in the baaaaaaaag-- mike stoklasa for next Canon guest?

'The Cinephiliacs' and 'Illusionpodcast' are pretty good, also 'Welcome To The Basement' for a goofy youtube review series

• Like 1

Faculty of Horror is a podcast from two girls using their graduate degrees to analyze horror films. Really interesting podcast. Not boring like I made it sound

Hey, that's what I was going to recommend! Faculty of Horror is a very smart, fun podcast about film with a feminist angle that is really refreshing. It's probably my favorite movie podcast; I only wish new episodes came out more often.

The Vidiots Video Store Show is pretty new and pretty good. They discuss two movies every episodes. Usually they pick movies the other guy hasn't seen yet and then they discuss them. Sometimes they disagree bitterly, so if that's the aspect of The Canon you're into... it might be a good pick.

I'd really recommend The Projection Booth to anyone who wants really really deep dives on all different kinds of notable and classic movies. Their last episode was Apocalypse Now, and it's 2 hour and 45 minute deep dive on the movie that includes an interview with Fax Bahr (one of the guys behind Hearts of Darkness). I don't find the conversation about the movies they cover to be quite as entertaining as what Devin and Amy do on the Canon, but they do a lot of interviews and research that maybe provides a little more sourced insight into the productions.

• Like 4

I'd really recommend The Projection Booth to anyone who wants really really deep dives on all different kinds of notable and classic movies.

This is exactly what I was looking for; thank you!

'I Love Film' by Scott and Scott, here on Earwolf

Also can't reccomend filmspotting enough, my go-to friday pod. Also they read some of my gushing over Richard Linklater on air which is points

Hey, that's what I was going to recommend! Faculty of Horror is a very smart, fun podcast about film with a feminist angle that is really refreshing. It's probably my favorite movie podcast; I only wish new episodes came out more often.

Yea wish it was more than a monthly. My dream Canon episode would be one where Andrea Subissati or Alex West guested.

F This Movie is a really good one. I really enjoyed their episodes on Star Trek: Into Darkness and Jurassic World. Mostly, I like when they watch a bad movie and break down what is wrong with it. The reason I recommend those episodes is because those movies suffer from a lot of the same problems.

http://www.fthismovi...t/p/movies.html

The Vidiots Video Store Show is pretty new and pretty good. They discuss two movies every episodes. Usually they pick movies the other guy hasn't seen yet and then they discuss them. Sometimes they disagree bitterly, so if that's the aspect of The Canon you're into... it might be a good pick.

I started listening to this as well It's pretty good!!

Comedy film nerds is a great listen.

Rotten tomatoes pod is not.

CFN is good for coming out this week, for sure. RT is better at TV than movies.

I assume most of you listen to the BMD padcast, but if you don't I would suggest you try it out. Know going in it's pretty inconsistent.

• Like 1

I am new to The Canon (welcome to my first post!). I have a few currently active movie podcasts in my rotation, but was looking to replace one or two when I found The Canon which I am enjoying quite a bit. To catch up, I am alternating the most recent episodes with past eps of films I am especially interested in. Also included in my list are a few old favorites which, while no longer active, are worth listening to.

So, to jump into this topic here are some of my favorite movie podcasts:

• Now Playing Podcast - It's been around for years and offers up in depth, spoiler filled deconstructions of films. There are many retrospectives of film series, directors...etc. This is a long time favorite of mine.

• The B-Movies Podcast - My go-to weekly for reviews of current films and movie news.

• Film Sack - Their slogan is "Mining the depths of entertainment for all mankind..." They offer weekly discussions on many films not necessarily classics, but good films turn up occasionally. The hosts are very funny. I think that they focus on films available on Netflix streaming.

• The Hollywood Gauntlet - This one offers VERY in-depth, and usually quite long discussions on films and series. The Godfather ep is epic! They haven't dropped a new ep in a while but the library is worth checking out.

• James Bonding - If you like 007 movies this is must listen. The hosts are two uber fans and they are joined by different guests for each show.

• All Movie Talk - No longer active, but the library is very good. Interesting discussions on various themes. They include "Top 6" lists. I especially enjoyed eps where they satirize movie 'pitches' for genres of films consisting of various tropes and clichés.

• Cinebanter - Again, no longer active, but fun. I think one of the first male/female movie discussion shows.

• Filmspotting - I use to listen to this one a lot. Now, just an occasional listen. Sorry to say, I am not a big fan of Adam. But I really like Michael Phillips when he is on the show.

Obviously, like movies, there are a lot of shows out there and some will click with you and many will not.

Would second some already mentioned like Filmspotting, Next Picture Show, Cinephiliacs, Projection Booth, etc..

It's currently on hiatus, but I would toss out there Frances Farmer Show (formerly George Sanders Show). Two films are selected to discuss, sometimes connected, sometimes just what's playing locally. Recent episodes had pairings of Johnnie To's Three with Samuel Fuller's Shock Corridor, and Seijun Suzuki's Youth of the Beast with Takeshi Kitano's Sonatine.

I'm going to totally not answer the content of the question asking for a similar film pod but just give you another one: Doug Loves Movies. Yeah, it can be a bit frantic at times and the focus is on the games portion, but I honestly must say that I've found out about more indie and festival-circuit films via Doug Benson and his ragtag group of comedians, critics, and Oscar-nominated actors than from any other medium. He's done a great job in the past few years in booking big time filmmakers and actors like Simon Pegg, James Gunn, Michael Sheen (as a regular to boot!), and Shane Black. A perfect example of a movie that I heard discussed to rave reviews last year on DLM was Ex Machina, which I personally contended in another thread as one of the seminal films of this decade.

I listen to too many film podcasts.

I Was There Too - One of my favorite podcasts. Each episode the host interviews actors who had small parts in major films. For example in one recent episode he interviewed several of the bus passengers in Speed. Host Matt Gourley is extremely funny and very personable.

Star Wars Minute - Two smart nerds analyze each of the original Star Wars films one minute at a time. Ultra in-depth but thankfully they aren't complete Star Wars fanatics and make fun of a lot of the stupid stuff, especially all the extended universe madness. They just finished analyzing Phantom Menace.

The Film Programme - My preferred British review show. Kermode and Mayo is worth checking out but it's not my go to. This is a quick 30 minutes but usually fits in 4 or 5 segments including reviews and retrospectives.

The Business - Great show I wish was a lot longer. Focusing entirely on the business side of Hollywood, the show starts with a quick rundown of the latest entertainment business news. The second part is an interview with a major Hollywood figure about their work in relation to the business side.

The Treatment - Wonderful interview show with probably the smartest interviewer out there, Elvis Mitchell. Guy asks really strange but deep questions. Real good if you like the NPR style interviews.

Filmspotting - The mainstay movie review podcast and with good reason. The two hosts are perfectly complementary, the segments are interactive and fun, and the top 5 lists that end each show are clever ways to garner recommendations.

Filmspotting: Streaming Video Unit - Spin-off of Filmspotting focusing on films available for streaming or rent. Each week they tell you what's new on streaming and review a film or TV show chosen by the audience.

Scriptnotes - Pretty good screenwriting podcast with two hosts with real experience. The hosts aren't my favorite but it's a good show.

You Must Remember This - Incredible podcast about the secret dark underbelly of Hollywood. Has one of the best tellings of the Charles Manson murders I've ever heard.

Invisible Worlds - Podcast about cultural appreciate of sci-fi and fantasy. Some very great stuff on topics like strong female characters, how costume designers create superhero outfits, and a five part series on the cultural legacy of Star Wars.

The Next Picture Show - Reviewers from the sadly dead Dissolve website talk about a recent release and compare it to a classic film that may have inspired it. Some pairings include: The Wicker Man/The VVitch, Battle Royale/The Hunger Gamed, Barton Fink/Hail, Caesar.

The Director's Cut - DGA podcast where two famous directors interview each other. First episode should speak for the quality of this show: Spielberg and Scorsese interviewing each other.

Little Gold Men - Very in-depth but humorously cynical take on the Oscar Race. Seems to be going year round so maybe wait start listening between September - February.

• Like 2