🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 429 - Almost Mandatory

The notion of a lady confiding to a close friend that she'd recently had her pussy fucked AWAY -- couldn't deal with it. Giggled like a cartoon teapot.

• Like 7

This was amazing from start to finish, and now I can't decide which Tommy Middleditch accent is my favorite: German, English or Chinese. Ah, who am I kidding? It's the Chinese one. But he sounded like such a dandy in this episode, it had me laughing so much. I also need to go back and listen to his Klaus segment from the anniversary ep for, I don't know, maybe the 10th time.

• Like 4

Smashmouth's Astral Lounge is actually a very good album, so Scott is not crazy. Also, very happy that "PEOPLE ON THE STREET" made another appearance with absolutely no reaction!

Tommy MiddleDee is so funny. so quick and creative. and he likes weezer (posted some videos of them on instagram if i recall correctly). hopefully just old weezer. new weezer is 99% not good.

i think if I won the opportunity to be on the pod and have scott invite my favorite guests like that one guy did for donating to kulap's movie, i'd currently pick Tommy MiddleDee, Lauren Lapkus, Neil Campbell as the Time Keeper, and Jon Gabrus as Gino. I guess we already get that group with somewhat regularity minus Middleditch, but still. That's the group that makes me laugh the most. There are a lot of others I'd enjoy too like Horatio Sanz, Mike Hanford as John Lennon, PFT, Nick Kroll, Claudia O'doherty, and on and on and on, but I can't pick 'em all.

One guy I don't really get, and I know I'm in the tiny minority on this, is Mantzoukas. His main thing seems to be hearing scott wrong, and repeating back what he heard wrong. This might as well be heresy around here but the whole "heynong man" thing never really struck me as very funny either. I've heard a handful of his episodes, but maybe I still need to hear more to come around to him.

• Like 1

Tommy MiddleDee is so funny. so quick and creative. and he likes weezer (posted some videos of them on instagram if i recall correctly). hopefully just old weezer. new weezer is 99% not good.

i think if I won the opportunity to be on the pod and have scott invite my favorite guests like that one guy did for donating to kulap's movie, i'd currently pick Tommy MiddleDee, Lauren Lapkus, Neil Campbell as the Time Keeper, and Jon Gabrus as Gino. I guess we already get that group with somewhat regularity minus Middleditch, but still. That's the group that makes me laugh the most. There are a lot of others I'd enjoy too like Horatio Sanz, Mike Hanford as John Lennon, PFT, Nick Kroll, Claudia O'doherty, and on and on and on, but I can't pick 'em all.

One guy I don't really get, and I know I'm in the tiny minority on this, is Mantzoukas. His main thing seems to be hearing scott wrong, and repeating back what he heard wrong. This might as well be heresy around here but the whole "heynong man" thing never really struck me as very funny either. I've heard a handful of his episodes, but maybe I still need to hear more to come around to him.

It's weird because I agree with most of your list, but I think Jason HeyNongMantzouks is a legend in the CBB game. He's a sidekick though, different vibe than with a character guest. I just like his rapport with Scott which is usually them bickering and belittling each other, but I get many laughs out of his nitpicking with Scott and his awful jokes.

• Like 6

Quick question, what's the deal with "people on the street"? I listen to CBB at work and don't always give it my full attention, so while I remember hearing "people on the street" in a few episodes, I completely missed what it's a reference to. Sorry if it's like a really popular song or something, I'm not really plugged into pop culture. I do love Billy on the Street though, which is what I think of whenever Scott says it.

I'm an Icelandic sex party connoisseur. Four people have reported in from Iceland. That's enough for a live show in Reykjavík, right?

• Like 2

I also am from Iceland.

Unfortunately, I am not a member of any band. It is a lonely existence.

P.S. This episode was bonkers good. Episode of the year so far, for me.

• Like 2

Quick question, what's the deal with "people on the street"? I listen to CBB at work and don't always give it my full attention, so while I remember hearing "people on the street" in a few episodes, I completely missed what it's a reference to. Sorry if it's like a really popular song or something, I'm not really plugged into pop culture. I do love Billy on the Street though, which is what I think of whenever Scott says it.

It's a reference to both the Billy on The Street theme and the "people on streets" line from Queen & David Bowie's "

".
  • Like 5

This might as well be heresy around here but the whole "heynong man" thing never really struck me as very funny either.

I completely agree, but as a fan of the show you have to respect its power. I got to HNM PFT and it will probably go down as one of my life's great achievements. And you're definitely wrong about Zouks, but hey everybody likes different stuff. Some people even like Smashmouth.

• Like 1

I completely agree, but as a fan of the show you have to respect its power. I got to HNM PFT and it will probably go down as one of my life's great achievements. And you're definitely wrong about Zouks, but hey everybody likes different stuff. Some people even like Smashmouth.

You are right, I do respect the power & reach of HNM. It has shown up in a lot of usual places, uttered by some famous and unexpected people. It is fixed in the CBB lore. I don't think it's funny by itself, but using it as a reference to CBB or as a little nod-of-the-head is funny. I'm not sure I could think of another CBB one-liner that seems to be so universally well known among CBB listeners.

About Zouks: he's fine, and his name on an episode would never steer me away or anything like that, but right now I just don't think I 'get' him. He's less in-character than most guests, I guess, and I'm not really into just listening to him berate scott and break down scott's bad jokes for 90 minutes. 'Banter' might be a good word for it. Just not really into listening to him banter. I enjoy it more when they're in character and embrace the silliness.

• Like 1

About Zouks: he's fine, and his name on an episode would never steer me away or anything like that, but right now I just don't think I 'get' him. He's less in-character than most guests, I guess, and I'm not really into just listening to him berate scott and break down scott's bad jokes for 90 minutes. 'Banter' might be a good word for it. Just not really into listening to him banter. I enjoy it more when they're in character and embrace the silliness.

What are you talking about? By definition, Jason Mantzoukas is always in character.

• Like 5

I saw Dan already replied above, but I thought I'd point out that this recent trend I think was sparked on the recent Ben Schwartz/Horatio episode, where they were singing Billy Joel songs and Horatio burst in with the line from "Under Pressure" instead of William Joel's "Pressure".

These guys are silly and I like them.

Couldn't agree more. I'd love to hear an episode with Baltz and Middleditch together.

• Like 2

Well, you'll have to blame Scotty for that one. Mantzoukas said "Hang on, man," but Scott was the one who misheard it as "Heynong Man." And the world was never the same.

Anyway, I think most people like when Mantzoukas is on this show because he and Scott are clearly friends and it's fun to hear people fuck around with someone they're comfortable and have a history with.

• Like 2

Well, you'll have to blame Scotty for that one. Mantzoukas said "Hang on, man," but Scott was the one who misheard it as "Heynong Man." And the world was never the same.

I wish "big ups to people of all stars and stripes" got more play from that sode.

• Like 10

True. Role reversal on that one. I do think this sort of thing is a big part of their banter though. But I don't know why I'm singling him out - it is probably something a lot of guests do. I mean, countless premises are set up by someone saying something, and it slightly sounding like something else, so another person runs with that and repeats it back. PFT does it a lot too. Lapkus as well. Jason ain't the only one.

Anyway, I think most people like when Mantzoukas is on this show because he and Scott are clearly friends and it's fun to hear people fuck around with someone they're comfortable and have a history with.

I've listened to a couple more episodes with Zoinks in 'em, and while they didn't necessarily boost my estimation of him much, I did learn that he and Scott have known each other since they were kids and were in a tv show together as children. Er, I think that was true... maybe it was a bit... i can't remember! anyway yeah they clearly know each other well. I just... I don't know. The charm of Jason Mantzoukas just hasn't really struck me yet.

I wish "big ups to people of all stars and stripes" got more play from that sode.

that's one of my favorite Scott phrases.

• Like 1

Still waiting for that on a t-shirt.

Here's a shitty mockup:

BIG UPS

to people of all

S*T*A*R*S*==&=

S=T=R=I=P=E=S

• Like 6

I've listened to a couple more episodes with Zoinks in 'em, and while they didn't necessarily boost my estimation of him much, I did learn that he and Scott have known each other since they were kids and were in a tv show together as children. Er, I think that was true... maybe it was a bit... i can't remember! anyway yeah they clearly know each other well. I just... I don't know. The charm of Jason Mantzoukas just hasn't really struck me yet.

You have a lot of work to do, son

• Like 2

I wish they made a t-shirt of that, all patriotic like, I'd wear that on the weekend of the 4th of July