🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 139 - Simply Irresistible

HDTGM All-star Jensen Karp (Get Up On This, Kanye West Owes Me $300) joins Paul, June, and Jason in-studio to talk about the Sarah Michelle Gellar 1999 romantic comedy Simply Irresistible. Why is there so much unwarranted sexuality in the movie? Is the crab giving SMG magical powers to cook? Do guys really touch their belts when thinking about sex? Tune in to hear the HDTGM crew get to the bottom of all this insanity!

WATCH Filthy Preppy Teen$ on the FullScreen App today! Get yourself a BB-8 “What Is Its Mission?” T-shirt or Tote Bag over at http://howdidthisgetmade.bigcartel.com/ Set your DVRs for Party Over Here, a new FOX sketch comedy show from The Lonely Island and Paul starring Nicole Byer, Jessica McKenna, and Alison Rich. It airs Saturdays at 11 pm. People of the internet: Watch Paul in Fresh off the Boat on ABC. Awhile ago, Paul and Rob Huebel did a comedy special on a 60 foot glass bus that traveled around LA. Now you’ll be able to see it. Go to https://itun.es/us/3M4J9 now to buy it! You can also see Jason and June in Lady Dynamite on Netflix! Also, check out June in Grace and Frankie available on Netflix, and in all the episodes of NTSF:SD:SUV:: on HULU for free, and Jason in The Dictator (he’s still in it!).

My favorite bit of dialog from this movie:

I think the implication is that she preferred geometry? Or that math is hard because she's a girl? Is it really a surprise that anyone knows how to make a paper airplane? It's like being amazed that your date can count to ten without using his fingers.

• Like 5

The name "Southern Cross" has another interesting connotation, as it's also one of the names for an upside-down crucifix, which is seen as symbolic of Anti-Christian or even Satanic beliefs within certain groups. You see a lot of "Southern Crosses" in metal music, particularly the Black Metal and Death Metal genres.

Alternatively, it's also known as the Cross of St. Peter, who requested that he be crucified upside down, as he felt he was unworthy of being crucified in the same manner as Jesus Christ. So, the significance changes depending on the manner in which it's used.

My extrapolation of all of this is, the restaurant being called "Southern Cross" could either signify patronage of St. Peter's Church, or Sarah Michelle Gellar's a huge metalhead.

• Like 4

The name "Southern Cross" has another interesting connotation, as it's also one of the names for an upside-down crucifix, which is seen as symbolic of Anti-Christian or even Satanic beliefs within certain groups. You see a lot of "Southern Crosses" in metal music, particularly the Black Metal and Death Metal genres.

Alternatively, it's also known as the Cross of St. Peter, who requested that he be crucified upside down, as he felt he was unworthy of being crucified in the same manner as Jesus Christ. So, the significance changes depending on the manner in which it's used.

My extrapolation of all of this is, the restaurant being called "Southern Cross" could either signify patronage of St. Peter's Church, or the guy's a huge fan of bands like Deicide or Gorgoroth.

Maybe the creators of the FANTASTIC comic book series from Image, Southern Cross, are huge fans of this movie? I mean, I know they are metalheads as well, but that goes hand-in-hand with SMG magical romantic comedies, right?

SouthernCross_vol01-1.png

• Like 2

Maybe the creators of the FANTASTIC comic book series from Image, Southern Cross, are huge fans of this movie? I mean, I know they are metalheads as well, but that goes hand-in-hand with SMG magical romantic comedies, right?

SouthernCross_vol01-1.png

Remember Safe Haven? Josh Dumahel trying to get Julianna Hough to listen to Slayer (although, that's Thrash Metal), I think Metal and Romance go hand in hand.

In fact, there's a Black Sabbath song titled "The Sign of the Southern Cross"

• Like 3

Guys... Guys.

I'm new here. Been lurking for years and come close to joining with a couple films that were just too insane not to want to join the discussion here.... but this did it. This movie did it, you guys!

I kept reading the string of tv show theme songs in the minisode thread, enjoying every one of them, but I couldn't help but wonder why near NOBODY was talking about this movie.

As somebody already posted, like the best HDTGM films, I was legit yelling WTF 5 mins in, and every 5 mins after that.

It's Insane.

• Like 7

I kept reading the string of tv show theme songs in the minisode thread, enjoying every one of them, but I couldn't help but wonder why near NOBODY was talking about this movie.

As somebody already posted, like the best HDTGM films, I was legit yelling WTF 5 mins in, and every 5 mins after that.

It's Insane.

Welcome!

We generally just bullshit around in the minisode thread and save our thoughts and discussion about the movie for the main ep thread. It's not a rule or anything; it's just the way it's naturally worked out. For me, I got tired of posting stuff in the minisode thread and then repeating it in the main thread.

Plus, all of us idiots that post here regularly have gotten to know each other, and it's fun to just fuck around with your online friends.

But again, it's not a hard, fast rule or anything, so please don't ever feel like you CAN'T talk about the movie in a minisode thread.

----

On a completely different note, JUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNE! So happy she's in this one, and I can't wait to hear what she had to say about the wardrobe in this movie. I feel like 2/3 of my notes were stuff like, "This is the most 90s outfit I've ever seen" and "No wait, this one is more 90s."

• Like 6

Oh no, it's nothing like that. You guys always come across as a chill board.

It's more like... I've hung around long enough to get the rhythms of things. One thing I've noticed is the hype, or lack there of, that comes with a movie in the minisode threads. Not necessarily talk about the film, but instead quick blips of excitement, or a summary of their feelings, or a story about how they watched it. You can tell people are saving their best thoughts and notes for the main ep thread, not to mention all the discussion that'll be bred from the ep itself. But I just found it odd how a little was being talk about this film, considering how crazy it is. I don't expect it with every film, but this just thru me for a loop.

EDIT: I would've posted that in the minisode thread but this thread had just popped up and, well, I figured I'd just make an entrance I guess. Anyway, thanks for the warm welcome!

• Like 2

There is only one thing in this movie worth discussing. When D'Angelo Barksdale (Nolan) gave SMG the basketball analogy/pep talk. He tells her that she is Patrick Ewing and she has to foul Michael Jordan while he is taking the last shot. But he also says they are up 1. So they are going to send MJ to the free throw line to win the game instead of living with a contested shot? If I am Jeff Van Gundy and I see SMG/Patrick Ewing giving that foul I am losing my god damn mind!

But I understand there may be competing coaching philosophies so please everyone weigh in with some situational basketball.

• Like 4

If that restaurant has been there for 70 years shouldn't it be on the National Historic registry or something? I was as bothered by that throw away line as June was.

When the French chef comes into Tom's office and throws the knife into the wall the two TVs on the wall immediately turn off when the knife hits. Only a magic crab can explain that but I don't think he was around then.

I thought for the belt adjusting scene they showed great restraint only using the orchestral flourish for each adjustment when they obviously wanted to do this.

• Like 2

There is only one thing in this movie worth discussing. When D'Angelo Barksdale (Nolan) gave SMG the basketball analogy/pep talk. He tells her that she is Patrick Ewing and she has to foul Michael Jordan while he is taking the last shot. But he also says they are up 1. So they are going to send MJ to the free throw line to win the game instead of living with a contested shot? If I am Jeff Van Gundy and I see SMG/Patrick Ewing giving that foul I am losing my god damn mind!

But I understand there may be competing coaching philosophies so please everyone weigh in with some situational basketball.

Well, I don't know if that sous chef knew a lot about basketball. Earlier, he mentioned a crazy game the night before where Jon Starks was throwing around elbows? But by 1999 he wasn't a Knick anymore. So he must have been such a big Starks fan that he followed his new team? Ugh, this just reminded me of the 94 NBA finals. Still painful after all these years.

• Like 1

Thank you, ChunkStyle for pointing out that D'Angelo Barksdale is the sous chef in this movie. Also, Christopher Durang, who they pointed out was in this movie, was who they kept referring to as Dan Aykroyd.

Vanilla Frog Theory: "Frog" is a derogatory term for French people, SMG is cooking French food under the spell of the crab (A Crab Neapolitan for Powder, while Peet asks for "a simple Chicken Paillard.") I can't link it with any logic to Vanilla Sky, because it came out two years later, but maybe someone else has something for the Vanilla?

• Like 2

Well, I don't know if that sous chef knew a lot about basketball. Earlier, he mentioned a crazy game the night before where Jon Starks was throwing around elbows? But by 1999 he wasn't a Knick anymore. So he must have been such a big Starks fan that he followed his new team? Ugh, this just reminded me of the 94 NBA finals. Still painful after all these years.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and maybe he was still on the team while they were filming. Although having said that this movie could have been improved with some really awkward ADR.

Edit: Now that I think about it I guess this movie could have been a period piece. 1997.

• Like 1

When the French chef comes into Tom's office and throws the knife into the wall the two TVs on the wall immediately turn off when the knife hits. Only a magic crab can explain that but I don't think he was around then.

...unless the knife hits the power cable feeding into the outlet that the TVs are plugged into, inside the wall. That could happen.

And now this whole movie makes sense.

• Like 4

Did Jason say Betty Buckley was with John Belushi when he died? I thought that was Cathy Smith (the woman who admitted to shooting him up). She even served some jail time for it. Maybe there were more people with JB at he time of his death. Jason tends to know his stuff. Betty Buckley is the crazy old lady in "The Happening." (Which I know ain't happening on HDTGM, but a girl can dream.)

• Like 1

My favorite bit of dialog from this movie:

I think the implication is that she preferred geometry? Or that math is hard because she's a girl? Is it really a surprise that anyone knows how to make a paper airplane? It's like being amazed that your date can count to ten without using his fingers.

I thought this meant that she hated math so much that all she did in class was to fold paper airplanes.

• Like 3

Sorry I can't let the basketball part go. The fact that the main character was told to metaphorically commit a foul as a motivational technique has got to be unique in movie history, right?

I saw this movie in the theater as well. It immediately reminded me of the 1992 Spanish language film "Like Water For Chocolate". Set in the world of magical realism, it follows a young Mexican girl, who is denied the right to marry by her mother and throws herself into her cooking. When she discovers her true love is to marry another, her emotions start to blend into her food. The movie gets deep into the emotions, as there are many deaths and serious consequences for the characters. I always thought the screen writer for Simply Irresistible, saw this movie and tried to make it her own. The crab, and the earrings, and the angel dude, we're just plot devices she shoehorned in, to make her movie stand apart. Like Water for Chocolate was a huge hit, and at the time, the biggest Spanish language film of all time. I recommend watching it,.

• Like 6

Sorry I can't let the basketball part go. The fact that the main character was told to metaphorically commit a foul as a motivational technique has got to be unique in movie history, right?

Maybe fouling Jordan was a legitimate option as a Knick, sadly. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but back then, I think if you were fouled outside the 3 point line, you only got to shoot 2 free throws. So if Jordan sets up to shoot a 3 pointer, foul him and you take the 2 point loss instead of 3?

• Like 1

Loved the episode and the movie was amazing!

I really feel like June was getting to this when they were talking about culinary hygiene but never really got to it. Not only does SMG not wear a hairnet, but when she is fretting about cooking for Tom and his girlfriend, she pulls out a big hunk of raw chicken with her bare hands, and as her anxiety grows, she repeatedly runs her nasty fingers through her hair. Gross!

So, not only is she apparently ignoring her mother's tried and true recipes, but she is also contaminating her customers' food--not to mention that her hair probably smells like rotten chicken. Is it really any wonder why her restaurant is closing down...

Also, I had a real problem with the idea of having a restaurant in a clothing retailer. Tom says at a press conference ( ? ) that people will have the opportunity to enjoy a fine dining experience followed by free run of the store after they've eaten. First of all, I don't like the idea of people who have just eaten pawing at a bunch of clothes, but stranger still, is who the hell wants to shop for clothes after having just eaten?

"Gee-I'm nice and bloated now, guess I'll go try on some pants..."

• Like 5

CORRECTION: Sadly, Paul was wrong. According to IMDB the original title was "Vanilla FOG" because of the Vanilla flower peddles that land in her food and create the fog they bang in. An easy mistake.

Although "Vanilla Frog" correctly describes the insanity of this movie, "Vanilla Fog" makes more since (kicks can down street), I guess.

• Like 10

One explanation for the crab beside the ones suggested: it's a witch's familiar, like Jiji in Kiki's Delivery Service. An animal hanging around in a movie updating witchcraft would be a natural spin on the concept. And it explains why the crab reflects the personality of a guy who's still walking around on his own, since in many accounts familiars have just such a psychic connection to their witches. While Jiji is more of a sidekick, he has a special connection to Kiki in that only she, and none of the other witches, is able to hear him talk. (I was also reminded of Fritz Leiber's science fiction novel Gather, Darkness!, which has familiars explained as telepathically-linked clones.)

It should also be noted that the DVD's cast listing has the crab credited as itself.

• Like 6

Also, I had a real problem with the idea of having a restaurant in a clothing retailer. Tom says at a press conference ( ? ) that people will have the opportunity to enjoy a fine dining experience followed by free run of the store after they've eaten. First of all, I don't like the idea of people who have just eaten pawing at a bunch of clothes, but stranger still, is who the hell wants to shop for clothes after having just eaten?

"Gee-I'm nice and bloated now, guess I'll go try on some pants..."

See there's a restaurant attached to a mall here that my mom and I like to do brunch at sometimes and then we'll run to a few shops afterwards.

They may really just be banking on the female demographic to keep that place running.

• Like 5