🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
nickperkins

Homework: Re-Animator (1985)

Currently streaming on Netflix! Also available for digital rental. I have literally never even heard of this before.

This movie is sick and twisted in all of the best ways possible. To those who have never seen this movie, I envy you. There is nothing quite like the experience of seeing this for the first time.

Definite Yes for me on this one.

• Like 1

Oh hell yeah! One of you got their indulgence pick.

• Like 2

for like three years i swore this was a Cronenberg

AHAHAHAH! I love it!

i actually am kinda bitter thisll probably get into the Canon before any Cronenberg but i do like it

• Like 5

i actually am kinda bitter thisll probably get into the Canon before any Cronenberg but i do like it

Re-Animator v. The Brood

I love, love, love, love, this movie. Going in totally biased.

• Like 1

This is a shoo-in. And I love Devin decrying adult animation as something for perverts in one sentence and stating that this movie is one of his favorites in the next one! Hahaha

• Like 2

This movie is almost Stuart Gordon's masterpiece (that would be From Beyond) but it's so iconic, influential, and inventive that it's a slam dunk. No question. How much fun is Jeffrey Combs in this? I want to watch it again right now!

• Like 2

How much fun is Jeffrey Combs in this?

Man, Herbert West is one of the all time great horror movie characters. Combs is off the charts in this.

Let's take a moment in all this to reflect on the unmade "House of Re-Animator" where:

"Ignoring the previous three films, the story focuses on a "Bush-like president" who dies in office and his staff covertly brings in Dr. Herbert West to reanimate him."

• Like 1

I'm down to clown. Re-Animator is a horror gem. Really excited to hear what Amy thinks of it, because Devin is gonna have some interesting, excited things to say for sure.

Let's take a moment in all this to reflect on the unmade "House of Re-Animator" where:

"Ignoring the previous three films, the story focuses on a "Bush-like president" who dies in office and his staff covertly brings in Dr. Herbert West to reanimate him."

I weep for this loss.

I'm sure 99% of people have netflix but its also just went up on shudder if anybody is subscribed to that. Setting up my re-animator, bride of re-animator double feature. can't wait for this episode. :D

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to hearing arguments for Re-Animator because it is the movie that inspired my Letterboxd "Your Movie Sucks" tag. I hate this thing and would love to hear coherent argument for why it isn't horrible.

• Like 1

I hate this thing and would love to hear coherent argument for why it isn't horrible.

Considering that you're the only dissenting comment so far, I think you're the one that needs to make an argument. :P

• Like 3

I seriously love this movie. I've watched it so many times and it's been my go-to party movie for years. I love that it distilled the pompous and dry original material into a gross, funny, and pretty damn dark spookablast (thanks Sam Raimi for that awesome term).

Plus, it gave us Jeffery Combs for that I will forever be grateful.

I'm looking forward to hearing arguments for Re-Animator because it is the movie that inspired my Letterboxd "Your Movie Sucks" tag. I hate this thing and would love to hear coherent argument for why it isn't horrible.

Personally I love this movie because it adapts, as someone already mentioned a pretty dry story and turns it into an over the top campy gore fest that takes itself completely serious. I love when a movie can establish a tone so far outside the realm of reality and commit to it wholeheartedly. I can appreciate that if you don't like gore its probably pretty insufferable but I have a smile on my face for like 99% of this movie.

I think it'll be a landslide win. Part of me does think "maybe this isn't high enough quality for the Canon," but fuck that - it's near-perfect at what it is. The movie drags a little as it winds up for the big climax (bouncing between overlong scenes with Hill in his office and spending a limp beat on the Dan/Meg relationship), and I guess the scene where Meg searches for Rufus is overlong and flat. That's nitpicking and it's pretty much all I've got to hold against it. Re-Animator is perfectly executed fun.

And the hardest worker in the movie, second only to Jeffrey Combs, is the soundtrack. That bouncing strings n' oboe theme gives everything just the right tone between horror, comedy, and adventure. And it does play a little more like adventure than action.

• Like 1

I've been holding off on this film for a year now (been on my Netflix). I think my expectations for it have been so high that I've been too afraid to be disappointed. But so goes almost every facet of my relationship with films these days.

Currently streaming on Netflix! Also available for digital rental. I have literally never even heard of this before.

Never even heard of it? Seriously? All the Lovecraft geeks we have around now? The film was even name-dropped in "American Beauty".

Never even heard of it? Seriously? All the Lovecraft geeks we have around now? The film was even name-dropped in "American Beauty".

"The film that was name-dropped in American Beauty". I think we've just found the definitive tagline for Re-Animator. Good job, guys!

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this