🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 24 — Who Are Our Superfans?

We love all our Earwolf listeners and are impressed by their contributions to the network as fans. This episode celebrates those listeners by speaking to three of our biggest superfans: Dustin Martian, Julia Hays, and Mike McCawley. They all started listening at different times, for different reasons, and with different preferences, but they all make our jobs at Earwolf so much easier. Learn who your fellow listeners are and how they've developed relationships not only with Earwolf, but with each other as well. We'd love to hear your Earwolf stories in The Wolf Den forums!

Amazing episode. I'm streaming it right now and jealous of the superfans. Jeff picked great fans. Please help him and earwolf with reviews,donations,spread the word about this great podcasting network. I listen to at least 2-4 hours of podcasts a day. Thanks for working so hard for the network Jeff

Thanks again to Jeff for asking me to be a guest on this episode; I'm thrilled to have been a part of one of my favorite shows. It was great to chat with fellow super fans Dustin and Mike.

I really enjoyed listening to this episode. I don't think I'll be the only one who was answering the questions along with Dustin, Mike, and Julia. Thus, I will bore you with my how-I-started-listening story:
I started listening (watching) the Best Week Ever podcast and after about a week it got cancelled. It was about a year later that I remembered podcasting was a thing. This was between The State on DVD being announced and being released and I spent the bulk of my time searching for press regarding the DVDS. I read something on Tom Lennon's Twitter about being on a podcast so I went into iTunes, put in his name, and downloaded every thing that came up including the first ever episode of CBB (then CDR). I first listened to Tom, Kerri, and Ken on The Sound of Young America and found it very enlightening. Then I listened to CBB and IMMEDIATELY went back to iTunes following the "You might also like" train until I had about 15 subscriptions. I spent that summer housesitting so I just listened to podcasts every single hour of every single day. I listened to CBB stream on Indie 103 starting with Besser/Leggero/Agee episode and the rest is history!

This was so much fun to record. Thank you Jeff, for asking me to be on the show, and Julia and Dustin for being so great to chat with. So surreal!

My first podcast experience started in '09 w/ Doug loves movies, I then heard about Adam carolla, CDR, and theBill Burr Monday Morning podcast.
I'm still a loyal listener to those three to this day. I've added who charted?/howdidthisgetmade/bobducca/wolfden/mikedetective/applesisters/espnmichellebeadle/podftompcast/wtfmarcmaron to the list. Listening to wolfs den is almost like an extra credit assignment to the comedy nerd.Wolfsden is an appreciation to the comedy podcast world and it gets me excited to talk about why I love podcasting especially through earwolf .

Another great one. I was quite impressed with all of the guest's public speaking chops. Very articulate.

I am interested in this discussion of podcasts vs. TV/Film. One of the guests mentioned that people will soon be going home to listen to podcasts instead of watching TV/Film. I'm my opinion, I do not foresee this as taking place on a large scale. The visual appeal of TV/Film will always trump that of audio, especially with the emergence of new technologies. The podcast market will continue to grow at an accelerated rate, but as I've mentioned before, I believe there will need to be some type of video integration in order for podcast networks/websites like these to become truly mainstream.

Also, Jeff, talk to Pfizer about Bob Ducca. I see some real branding opportunities there.

The BS Report is what introduced me to podcasts, which was an easy entry into the podcasting world with ESPN's proprietary player. After discovering WTF, I became fully hooked on the medium and started looking for more. Whether it was thanks to Maron's guests or following comedians on twitter, I inevitably discovered Comedy Death Ray and became obsessed the second I heard Jesse Ventura start asking questions.

I love this! It was a great idea to have super fans on. The episode was rateable and interesting. Also, the fact that people become friends from listening to podcast. I've become internet friends with Caroline Anderson from listening to CBB.

@steve... You have an interesting point. I hadn't really thought about it that much, but I've realized that as I've been listening to more comedy podcasts, I've been watching less television. I think I was disappointed by some current TV series (I'm not hating on all TV, but I've found less shows that interest me enough to follow them regularly), so I've turned to podcasts to fill that void for entertainment. I agree that podcasts will never trump television and film, but I do think they can perform well in their own right. Jeff is very modest, and has a critical eye, which is a great quality to have in a CEO, but I hope he truly sees the huge progress that Earwolf has made since its inception. Earwolf is going to continue to make great strides as it brings new listeners and more advertisers on board. And I concur that video integration would be a wonderful tool to use on the site, as the resources become available. I already enjoy the video introductions that the shows have on the new website. P.S. I'm glad you liked the episode!

Regarding TV vs. Podcasts- I effing love television. I (think I) want to work in television. Television made me a comedy nerd and I think there is SO much great television I'm enjoying right now....television that I watch from my iPod or streaming off of Amazon or on Hulu or Netflix.
I think that television as a structure is great. 20 minutes, 3 acts, it's a GREAT way to be entertained. But I think what will happen is that "television" will leave TV and so people really will have the option of "Will I listen to Who Charted or watch Childrens Hospital" because they will consume both types of media using the same device. That's just what I've observed.

I think it would be more accurate to look at podcasts taking over terrestrial radio share of the market, especially as more and more cars become "Smart" and allow you to download content directly to your dashboard. Also, now that I have an AV plug-in in the car, I listen to almost nothing but podcasts (and WXRT) while I drive.

As far as advertisers go, it's hard for them to wrap their brain around this medium. It's best compared to national syndicated radio shows (like Dr. Laura, Bob & Tom, etc) but doesn't have the kind of large audience that syndicated radio brings. So you have to look more at what KIND of audience you're reaching... And that's the great thing about podcasts. It's not for all advertisers, but it's an audience that's loyal, tuned-in, and easy to narrowly target as far as demographics go. It's not a huge audience (even Carolla, Smith, and Maron can't compare to most syndicated radio listenership) but it's the RIGHT audience.

FINALLY some interesting guests! Kidding about the finally, but this IS a great listen. Nice to put faces/voices to names I see so often.

Great episode, love to hear real listeners on the show. I hope I see a meet up in LA

Could this show be any more a homer? Anyway, it was interesting to hear Jeff want more produced shows or see the need for them. I don't or really don't care how much production goes into a show. In fact I really miss the live aspect of CBB. That really made me feel apart of the show.
A few questions? Is there a backup plan for when hosts are too busy to record? I think the current event feel of many of the shows is a part of the appeal. Do Listeners like the show's format or the show's host? Of course you can like both, but would you stop listening to a show if it was hosted by another? Finally, is anyone interested in dressing up as their favorite Earwolf hosts or guest and have a sex party?

The US Navel Observatory commends The Wolf Den on its last four episodes.

Jeff, when are you going to stop referring to Earwolf as a comedy podcasting network? You are limiting the company by doing so.

Although a couple of guests mentioned it, I would be interested to know what podcasts they once listened to, but stopped doing so.

I agree with V. about the "comedy" tag.

Secondly, before James Adomian leaves, please get him to do an appearance without the characters, and talk to him about what it takes to make a good character and how his mind works. PLEASE!

First off it was nice to hear how other people found the earwolf networks. I started early when I happen to stumble on Comedy Death Ray episode 2 with Aziz Ansari. I was hooked. I had no idea who Scott was or how he had the CDR show at UCB or he was on and wrote for 'Mr. Show.' When Sklarbro and Who Charted came around, earwolf became my go to network for podcasts. Fast forward to now, I have been number 1 worst Christmas on who charted and ventured to San Francisco from Reno to see Skalarbro live podcast. Sat front row, 4 tables over from Jeff and Doug. Had no idea who they were until Doug got up on stage. I wear my Skalarbro shirt around Reno and once and a while a hear the faint call of, "Henderson!" echo down the streets in my direction. Thanks Jeff, Scott and the rest of the earwolf team for making me almost drive off the road in laughter on a daily bases.
-Chuck aka @tick0

I loved getting to hear this ep and realize the 'other side' is out there and a community exists...and I'm ready to make friends!

FYI: To those who were left in suspense by this episode... good news! My Sklarboro Country t-shirt came in the mail today. Engineer Frank's the man!

thoroughly enjoyed this episode...refreshing hearing a woman's perspective...julia was an excellent guest, ( along with the others), do more shows like this and have her back!

Deborah M.

Great show! Good idea having fans on and hopefully there will be more fan episodes. I totally agree with Jeff mentioning that getting hosts involved in the forums or site is important to its success. I'm not suggesting that hosts live on the forums, they're busy and I think most people here understand, but just a short something would go a long way.

I've been listening to The Wolf Den since it started and I must admit that I've come to the forums from time to time and have shamefully ignored Jeff and Scott's pleads for participation...then you released this episode. Now I feel like a jerk for not giving you the attention and devotion you all deserve. A 23 year-old jerk studying Marketing & Sociology in Austin, TX and whose only passions include stand up and writing segues that bring the attention back on himself.

Comedy Death Bang and The Wolf Den are among the elite group of podcasts that I have listened to every episode of, regardless of length or the amount of plane breaks. Others include Doug Loves Movies, Nerdist, WTF and This Week in Marketing. Thanks for all the laughter and inspiration you bring the listeners and for giving us a great place to meet fellow fans and comics alike.

My sincerest apologies for the mostly unintentional silent treatment...and the sentence written in the third person.

I started listening to podcasts in 2006, but before that I was listening to AM Talk Radio, Audio books and lots of Comedy albums. I'm a videographer and have been working as a landscaper by day for 9 years, so I have 8 hours a day to fill my ear holes with audio content. In the beginning, most podcasts were either re-purposed radio content or amateurs speaking into laptop mics. Harry Potter podcasts were always in the top 5.
I listened to all sorts of podcasts but the comedy section was lacking. Jimmy Pardo was around but I didn't know who we was and assumed it was another low budget "comedy" podcast. I was wrong. I subscribed to a podcast about "Comics" and it turned out to be about comic books not comedians.
In 2007, I started listening to The Preston & Steve show (Phillie morning show), where I was first exposed to Doug Benson. In 2009, I started listening to "I love Movies" and from there found a treasure load of comedy. Doug's show led me to "Comedy Death Ray", "Comedy & Everything Else, WTF, and most of the podcasts I listen to now. These days, I tend to find podcasts from other podcasts or from a network like Earwolf. Rarely do I seach iTunes for podcasts as I have in the past.
I've been a supporter of Ear Wolf since it's inception and their shows are some of my favorites. These days, 95% of the podcasts I listen to are comedy, before 2009, it was 5%. I still listen to podcasts every day, on my 5 year old ipod, 8-10 hours on weekdays, 5-6 hours on weekends.
I live in Hawaii and do not know anyone who listens to podcasts and not many comics perform on Maui. When you type my address into the "On Tour" section, you find nothing. Podcasts is a way for me to feel connected with the Mainland and an opportunity to hear funny people that I normally would not be exposed to. I appreciate the EarWolf forums as a place where I can relate to others with like minded sensibilities.
There are 2 types of show that I would listen to if EarWolf had them. One is a show with Comics talking about Comic Books and a show that talks about TV shows (mainly comedy). So many podcasts are about movies but not many about TV.
Thanks EarWolf! Aloha!

Sign in to follow this