🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 140.5 - Minisode 140.5

Yes! I have an opposite view in that I don't believe women should cut their hair shorter as they get older. I think it is a slippery slope to getting "old lady hair". It's a legitimate fear I have.

On the 5th episode of Bitch Sesh, we do hear June's opinion that long hair does look good on certain older women.

14kjztv.jpg

• Like 1

So I saw Ghosbusters and I absolutely love it.

Before I go into my mini-review I want to point out that in addition to letting women over the age of 30 headline a big-budget summer studio movie, the movie also cast off-the-radar comedic actors who aren't usually cast in mainstream movies. In other words, friends of Earwolf. Zach Woods, Karan Soni, Neil Casey, Toby Huss, Eugene Cordero, Milana Vayntrub and Matt Walsh have all been guests on Earwolf shows. Nate Coddry, Jamie Denbo and Jessica Chafin all have shows on Earwolf. Paul Feig (director) and Kate Dippold (screenwriter) have also appeared as guests on Earwolf podcasts. Dippold in fact was the guest on the Staying Alive episode of HDTGM, which I consider as one of the top HDTGM episodes.

I don't usually expressed a lot of emotions while watching movies but I laughed out loud frequently during Ghostbusters and I even cried a little.

My eyes started to get wet during an action sequence where Kate McKinnon's character, backed by the familiar Ghostbusters theme, battled ghosts in slo-mo. Here is a female character over the age of 30, who does not have cover girl looks, who has a Ph.D in the male-dominated field of nuclear engineering, who's wearing loose-fitting clothes, and she's fighting and looking BADASS. I'm so happy that young girls and young women have that.

Many actors from the 1984 Ghostbusters showed up in cameos. And when a certain actor showed up I started to cry. It's like, old friends! All my old friends are here! It's as if they are saying, it's cool you're making new friends, we like them too. We know you love us still and will never forget us. And then, and then at the end of the credits, the screen says "For Harold Ramis." Tears, tears.

And for a final bit of ghostbusters awesomeness. They busted a troll.

• Like 4

long hair does look good on certain older women

Ruth Gordon made an impression on me as a youth; I loved how she wore her hair in Harold and Maude (in braids) and how special it seemed when her hair was down, when they were in bed together.

• Like 3

I know Ghostbusters is the thing right now, but as always, I'm a few months behind on new movies. I just wanted to say I finally watched Batman V. Superman and...(surprise, surprise) I didn't like it. What's funny though, is it wasn't exactly what I expecting. For starters, I didn't think it was that bad, certainly not to the level everyone was making it out to be, just not very good--and better than Man of Steel (or, at least, I enjoyed it more).

In a lot of ways, based on the negativity surrounding it, it wasn't what I was expecting. However, as much as I feel it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, it was also waaaaaaaaaaaaay dumber than I expected. Never mind superhumans, it was like the screenwriters didn't even understand regular humans! I will say though, I laughed a lot at the phoney gravitas. It was ridiculous.

As my final thought, one of my favorite recurring moments (and I'm sure this happens in real life, but has no business in a movie where it can easily be fixed) is the amount of times the staff at the Daily Planet had to watch Television news to find out what was going on. At one point, Perry White even crafts a headline based on one of these stories! Um...aren't you guys a newspaper? If you're reporting on things that your seeing on TV, then it's not really "news," is it? No wonder print media is dying! I mean, it's weird what aspects of the comics they were slavish to and what aspects they changed. Why not simplify it and just make the Daily Planet a television news organization?

• Like 4

So I saw Ghosbusters and I absolutely love it.

Before I go into my mini-review I want to point out that in addition to letting women over the age of 30 headline a big-budget summer studio movie, the movie also cast off-the-radar comedic actors who aren't usually cast in mainstream movies. In other words, friends of Earwolf. Zach Woods, Karan Soni, Neil Casey, Toby Huss, Eugene Cordero, Milana Vayntrub and Matt Walsh have all been guests on Earwolf shows. Nate Coddry, Jamie Denbo and Jessica Chafin all have shows on Earwolf. Paul Feig (director) and Kate Dippold (screenwriter) have also appeared as guests on Earwolf podcasts. Dippold in fact was the guest on the Staying Alive episode of HDTGM, which I consider as one of the top HDTGM episodes.

I don't usually expressed a lot of emotions while watching movies but I laughed out loud frequently during Ghostbusters and I even cried a little.

My eyes started to get wet during an action sequence where Kate McKinnon's character, backed by the familiar Ghostbusters theme, battled ghosts in slo-mo. Here is a female character over the age of 30, who does not have cover girl looks, who has a Ph.D in the male-dominated field of nuclear engineering, who's wearing loose-fitting clothes, and she's fighting and looking BADASS. I'm so happy that young girls and young women have that.

Many actors from the 1984 Ghostbusters showed up in cameos. And when a certain actor showed up I started to cry. It's like, old friends! All my old friends are here! It's as if they are saying, it's cool you're making new friends, we like them too. We know you love us still and will never forget us. And then, and then at the end of the credits, the screen says "For Harold Ramis." Tears, tears.

And for a final bit of ghostbusters awesomeness. They busted a troll.

I wish we could like posts multiple times! AND WE COULD LIKE AVATARS BECAUSE I LOOOVE YOURS!!!

Gurl I definitely felt my eyes well up during that exact scene. I think whenever people just ask me what I'm into I'm just gonna show them a gif of Jillian Holtzmann licking her gun and saying, "Let's go." GOOD SHIT!

• Like 2

I wish we could like posts multiple times! AND WE COULD LIKE AVATARS BECAUSE I LOOOVE YOURS!!!

Gurl I definitely felt my eyes well up during that exact scene. I think whenever people just ask me what me what I'm into I'm just gonna show them a gif of Jillian Holtzmann licking her gun and saying, "Let's go." GOOD SHIT!

God! You guys make me want to see that movie so bad! I'll be honest, the first trailer didn't do much for me, but the second one got me interested. And now reading how much you both enjoyed it...

I've already decided I'm just going to buy it when it comes out, but of course, that won't be for months. :( So, I guess a couple of months from now, once everyone has moved on to the next best thing, you can expect me to post my thoughts on it. Fuck, my life is like living on a time delay...

• Like 2

Never mind superhumans, it was like the screenwriters didn't even understand regular humans! I will say, I laughed a lot throughout at the phoney gravitas. It was ridiculous.

For example, there's a scene where Lois is taking a bath and Clark comes into the bathroom carrying a large bag of groceries. Who does this? Put down the damn bag and at least put the ice cream in the freezer before wandering around the house looking for Lois.

• Like 5

God! You guys make me want to see that movie so bad! I'll be honest, the first trailer didn't do much for me, but the second one got me interested. And now reading how much you both enjoyed it...

I've already decided I'm just going to buy it when it comes out, but of course, that won't be for months. :( So, I guess a couple of months from now, once everyone has moved on to the next best thing, you can expect me to post my thoughts on it. Fuck, my life is like living on a time delay...

I don't want to get your hopes up crazy high, because even though I loved it unconditionally I still recognize that there are some things that could have been improved on. I especially don't want to do what you had feared with Hamilton and kill it for you before you even get the chance to watch it. But even with all that I walked out of that theater with a huge damn smile on my face, a huge ass mega crush on Kate McKinnon, and watching as three little girls (dressed up as Ghostbusters) excitedly talked and talked and talked to their parents about the references to the original and about how excited they were for the next one.

• Like 2

For example, there's a scene where Lois is taking a bath and Clark comes into the bathroom carrying a large bag of groceries. Who does this? Put down the damn bag and at least put the ice cream in the freezer before wandering around the house looking for Lois.

But that so clearly illustrates his obsession with Lois. I don't remember the exact dialog, but in that same scene, she says, "Look at what they're saying about you" (i.e. "blaming you for the deaths of the people who were killed after you rescued me"), and he dismissively says something like, "I don't care about that." What?!? You don't care that people died as a direct result of your intervention? Um...you should. You really, really should. Even if you don't think there's anything you could have done about it, it should at least bother you. There were also a couple scenes where he was like, "I failed because I was so focused on you, that I missed such and such." Oh, brother. Wow. What a "super" guy...

But to be fair, Alfred's constant nagging of Bruce about settling down and having kids really bugged me too. First of all, this guy doesn't need to be fathering any children, and secondly, who gives a fuck? I know it was being played for "laughs," but dear God did I roll my eyes every time it came up--which was like, every time they were in a scene together.

• Like 3

Thanks Taylor Anne! High praise!

Gurl I definitely felt my eyes well up during that exact scene. I think whenever people just ask me what me what I'm into I'm just gonna show them a gif of Jillian Holtzmann licking her gun and saying, "Let's go." GOOD SHIT!

Yay! I'm glad I'm not that only one who got verklempt at that scene.

So, I guess a couple of months from now, once everyone has moved on to the next best thing, you can expect me to post my thoughts on it. Fuck, my life is like living on a time delay...

But anytime you start a topic people will join in. Anywhere Cam goes, people follow.

Forgive me if this question is too personal, but how come you don't watch movies during their first run?

But even with all that I walked out of that theater with a huge damn smile on my face, a huge ass mega crush on Kate McKinnon, and watching as three little girls (dressed up as Ghostbusters) excitedly talked and talked and talked to their parents about the references to the original and about how excited they were for the next one.

Oh yeah, there's a post-credits scene that hints at what the sequel might be about, and it is EXCITING.

• Like 2

But that so clearly illustrates his obsession with Lois. I don't remember the exact dialog, but in that same scene, she says, "Look at what they're saying about you" (i.e. "blaming you for the deaths of the people who were killed after you rescued me"), and he dismissively says something like, "I don't care about that." What?!? You don't care that people died as a direct result of your intervention? Um...you should. You really, really should. Even if you don't think there's anything you could have done about it, it should at least bother you. There were also a couple scenes where he was like, "I failed because I was so focused on you, that I missed such and such." Oh, brother. Wow. What a "super" guy...

Yet he had a problem with Batman branding criminals. Some lives are worth more than others, I guess?

But to be fair, Alfred's constant nagging of Bruce about settling down and having kids really bugged me too. First of all, this guy doesn't need to be fathering any children, and secondly, who gives a fuck? I know it was being played for "laughs," but dear God did I roll my eyes every time it came up--which was like, every time they were in a scene together.

That made no sense. I think they tried to make Alfred more like JARVIS.

• Like 3

Yet he had a problem with Batman branding criminals. Some lives are worth more than others, I guess?

I genuinely didn't understand what the big deal about that really was... Maybe I'm just a horrible human being but legit he was saying to the world that these people were horrible and were caught by the Bat and what happens after that is on the people who act on those things. I don't believe this is the same as Superman running into a village full of innocent civilians or having buildings fall on top of thousands of people in Metropolis...

• Like 1

But anytime you start a topic people will join in. Anywhere Cam goes, people follow.

Forgive me if this question is too personal, but how come you don't watch movies during their first run?

To your first point...

2035_disney-cute-flower-bambi-blush.gif

To your second, it's partially because of my son (who's four) and wasn't the greatest (but not terrible) the one time we've taken him to the movies; partially because my wife is currently pregnant; and partially because I don't mind waiting. I find that it's cheaper just to buy a movie, even if I don't really like it, than going to the theater. I mean, I guess we could get a sitter, but it's just not worth it to either my wife or myself. And honestly, I like hanging out with my kid.

The only exception to all of this would be if it's like a really big deal movie (e.g. Star Wars), which we'd do our best to go see while it's out. And the only exception to the "just buy it" rule would be if I'm relatively sure I'm not going to like it, but want to see what the fuss is about, or if by watching it, it's something that might ruin my son's perception of his two favorite superheroes (see: Batman v Superman)

• Like 2

Honestly, Alfred was my favourite performance. I want more sassy Jeremy Irons in my life.

• Like 3

I genuinely didn't understand what the big deal about that really was... Maybe I'm just a horrible human being but legit he was saying to the world that these people were horrible and were caught by the Bat and what happens after that is on the people who act on those things. I don't believe this is the same as Superman running into a village full of innocent civilians or having buildings fall on top of thousands of people in Metropolis...

Yeah, that was one of things I heard about before seeing the movie, and thought I'd have a bigger problem with than I did. I believe they said the guy was a sex trafficker or something, and I was like, "Oh, yeah! Fuck that guy!" I don't think he was branding, like, jaywalkers or anything.

Now something that was somehow worse than imagined was the whole "Martha" thing. That blew my fucking mind!

Honestly, Alfred was my favourite performance. I want more sassy Jeremy Irons in my life.

Out of all the performances in the movie? I'd probably agree. However, on one point in which I think I'm in the minority, I wasn't thrilled by Affleck's Batman. Which isn't to say I loved Bale (I'm not a huge fan of his movies either), I just feel like I haven't seen "my" Batman yet--closest would be The Animated Series Batman.

Also, and I was surprised by this, I am less confident about the Wonder Woman movie after watching this than before. Gadot was fine, but I'm really on the fence now. It could really go either way I think...

• Like 2

OH! And before I have to get back to work. I LOVED Batman's super dramatic email to Wonder Woman and how she would scroll the page perfectly to emphasize his point.

I have something of yours.

[Double space] *scroll, scroll*

It's not someone that looks like you...

[double space] *scroll, scroll*

It IS you!

[double space] *scroll, scroll*

Who ARE you?

This was around midnight in my house last night, everyone else was fast asleep, and I laughed out loud. Hard.

• Like 4

Also, and I was surprised by this, I am less confident about the Wonder Woman movie after watching this than before. Gadot was fine, but I'm really on the fence now. It could really go either way I think...

Let's give Patty Jenkins a chance.

• Like 2

Out of all the performances in the movie? I'd probably agree. However, on one point in which I think I'm in the minority, I wasn't thrilled by Affleck's Batman. Which isn't to say I loved Bale (I'm not a huge fan of his movies either), I just feel like I haven't seen "my" Batman yet--closest would be The Animated Series Batman.

I believe Kevin Conroy is the definitive Batman. I loved The Dark Knight trilogy and I really enjoyed Batffleck but I have to agree that none of them are my batman. At least not like Conroy.

And while I understand why this movie could blow Wonder Woman for us, I still really have hope for it. Mostly since Zack Snyder doesn't actually have a hand in the writing or the directing, and sweet babies it's finally be given to a female director. Then again it's DC and their history leads me to be more of a realist and say it'll probably be shit too.

I digress but speaking who is our definitive "actor" in a role, I am 100% sick and fucking tired of Jared Leto as Joker and the damn movie hasn't even come out yet. He keeps going on and on about how the role is bringing darkness into his head and in order to channel that he leaves used condoms around set and harasses his coworkers when they're not even filming? That's some shit to the bull right there. Heath Ledger didn't harass anyone on set and even though he was "method" acting he was still reportedly the nicest guy around and would hang out with everyone without acting like a complete tool. Not to mention that Mark Hamill has been the Joker for 20 years now and hasn't let any kind of darkness effect anything in life at all.

tl;dr but basically fuck Jared Leto he will never be my Joker. /rant over

• Like 4

I believe Kevin Conroy is the definitive Batman. I loved The Dark Knight trilogy and I really enjoyed Batffleck but I have to agree that none of them are my batman. At least not like Conroy.

And while I understand why this movie could blow Wonder Woman for us, I still really have hope for it. Mostly since Zack Snyder doesn't actually have a hand in the writing or the directing, and sweet babies it's finally be given to a female director. Then again it's DC and their history leads me to be more of a realist and say it'll probably be shit too.

I digress but speaking who is our definitive "actor" in a role, I am 100% sick and fucking tired of Jared Leto as Joker and the damn movie hasn't even come out yet. He keeps going on and on about how the role is bringing darkness into his head and in order to channel that he leaves used condoms around set and harasses his coworkers when they're not even filming? That's some shit to the bull right there. Heath Ledger didn't harass anyone on set and even though he was "method" acting he was still reportedly the nicest guy around and would hang out with everyone without acting like a complete tool. Not to mention that Mark Hamill has been the Joker for 20 years now and hasn't let any kind of darkness effect anything in life at all.

tl;dr but basically fuck Jared Leto he will never be my Joker. /rant over

On top of the other "alleged" things I've heard about Leto recently, that dude can go straight fuck himself.

• Like 3

Jared Leto needs to go fuck himself for being responsible for inflicting the world with 30 Seconds To Mars.

Jared Leto needs to go fuck himself for being responsible for inflicting the world with 30 Seconds To Mars.

I've never heard or seen his band on radio or tv, so it doesn't bother me. Celebs can have their vanity music projects.

I have seen Keanu Reeves live in concert with Dog Star, so there's that blemish on my life.

• Like 2

I've never heard or seen his band on radio or tv, so it doesn't bother me. Celebs can have their vanity music projects.

I have seen Keanu Reeves live in concert with Dog Star, so there's that blemish on my life.

It wouldn't bother me either, but they're deceptive to go along with how much they suck ass.

One of my favourite bands is Black Label Society, I fucking LOVE this band, for 17 years, well, BLS have a logo that looks like this:

6042580.jpeg

I see this skull, I think "That's Black Label Society"

However, 30 Seconds To Mars have a logo that looks like this

skull_echelon_by_la_mithra.jpg

So, I was subjected to sub-par music, because of their flagrant false advertising.

Anyone else notice that peter boyle is driving a taxi cab in the movie? Like is it possible that this film is a remake of Deniro's Taxi Driver with a super hero instead of a lunatic?