155 replies to this topic

#41 Smigg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 04:11 AM

View PostRyan Sz, on 15 July 2016 - 06:24 PM, said:

I've watched that a couple times already and I notice more and more insane things each time. At least it seems to me that they understand that it's ridiculous, and I don't think I've ever seen a heel do something so vile as destroy their rival's landscaping.

Did you notice that "Vanguard" was spelled wrong?

#42 SevenDollarsWorthOfHoobastank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 08:53 AM

Oh awesome I had my omission/observance read!

#43 jerrycanada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,467 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 09:28 AM

Then what we need is someone to phone from 1 619 paul ass and leave a NASTY message at pauls answering service saying. I don't know what the hell is going on but we keep getting calls from people talking about Mannequins and stuff and it just needs to quit right now...btw "1 619 paul ass" is your total ass hotline, talk about ass, share storys about ass and then some.

Posted Image

would it be funner if it was a picture of paul, i wounder? if you bug me I'll do it.

#44 jerrycanada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,467 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 09:35 AM

ohh you didn't have to, it bugged me myself!

DING DING DING WE HAVE A WINNNER!!!!

Posted Image

and on that note I will stop with that, can't top that, no sir.

Mind you I could place jason and june in that photo? Hmmmmm

Paul you should get that number...

#45 Smigg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 11:27 AM

There's an MMA fighter called Paul Sass. So, maybe Paul is hesitant to advertise it; because Paul Sass might think that Paul's Paul Ass is making fun of him with Paul's Ass, because Paul Sass was called "Paul's Ass" for years, so Paul Sass will end up kicking Paul's ass.

I got tongue-tied typing that, let alone reading it.

#46 24 Hour Party Pizza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • LocationCascadia

Posted 16 July 2016 - 05:24 PM

View PostAuden, on 15 July 2016 - 08:47 AM, said:

I'm excited to see "Stranger Things". Wino forever!

If anyone is on the fence about this show, give it at least three episodes. The first ep is actually kinda meh, but it gets much better after that. It's kinda like Freaks and Geeks meets Super 8, with really cool music. I feel like I haven't seen Winona do anything in forever!

#47 taylor anne photo

A Most Peculiar Mademoiselle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts
  • LocationDeep in the heart of Texas

Posted 17 July 2016 - 04:31 PM

Okay I saw Ghostbusters twice already I loved it so much

#48 Ryan Sz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,577 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 05:57 PM

I saw it opening day and just thought it was "meh." It wasn't terrible or fantastic, but it just wasn't clicking for me, kinda hard to explain. I thought Wiig and McCarthy were good, but felt McKinnon was there just to chew up scenery and I did laugh for Leslie Jones the most, especially the "this is a room full of nightmares" line. I felt the cameos stopped the pace outside of Murray, who was basically playing a more skeptical version of Venkman.
2016 DLM Challenge: 618 movies (478 new)
"I'm gonna fuck the 'Mind of Mencia' out of you!" - Paul Scheer
"Fuck you, I watched this fucking movie bro!" June Diane Raphael
"If I'm holding a baby and I say 'cunt punch,' it's gonna be pretty fucking funny." - Zouks
"How's yo dick?" - Nicole Byer

#49 Yoko Zbornak

Alien Cover Girl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationHadley's Hope, Acheron

Posted 17 July 2016 - 07:32 PM

View Post24 Hour Party Pizza, on 16 July 2016 - 05:24 PM, said:

If anyone is on the fence about this show, give it at least three episodes. The first ep is actually kinda meh, but it gets much better after that. It's kinda like Freaks and Geeks meets Super 8, with really cool music. I feel like I haven't seen Winona do anything in forever!

I nearly let out a teenybopper scream when Winona first appeared onscreen. I just finished Stranger Things, it's a lot of fun.

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 17 July 2016 - 04:31 PM, said:

Okay I saw Ghostbusters twice already I loved it so much

I'm gonna watch it tomorrow in IMAX 3D!

Harold Ramis' daughter Violet Ramis Stiel has written a lovely and moving article in support of the reboot.

I just found out that one of my favorite martial arts actor, Donnie Yen, is in Rogue One. The movie looks great. It doesn't have the cartoon-y look of 90% of sci-fi and superhero movies. I might actually find the movie's life-and-death stakes convincing.

• I've always known that in your heart, you were a scientist first, a Templar second. - Alan Rikkin (Assassin's Creed)
  • The world's passing you by. - Sean Clements (Hollywood Handbook, ep. #143)
  • Not all opinions are equal. - Deborah Lipstadt

#50 Smigg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 01:43 AM

The best movie for me this year, so far, has to be either Deadpool or The Nice Guys.

If you haven't seen The Nice Guys, you're REALLY missing out on something great.

#51 tomspanks

jaded meowndarin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 05:49 AM

View PostAuden, on 17 July 2016 - 07:32 PM, said:

I just found out that one of my favorite martial arts actor, Donnie Yen, is in Rogue One. The movie looks great. It doesn't have the cartoon-y look of 90% of sci-fi and superhero movies. I might actually find the movie's life-and-death stakes convincing.

I'm so pumped. Ip Man in Space! Hope he's also doing the fight choreography.

#52 Ryan Sz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,577 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 07:03 AM

View PostSmigg, on 18 July 2016 - 01:43 AM, said:

The best movie for me this year, so far, has to be either Deadpool or The Nice Guys.

If you haven't seen The Nice Guys, you're REALLY missing out on something great.

Nice Guys further proves that Shane Black can make the best "non-Christmas but set around Christmas" movies ever. The amount of detail that they put into recreating 70s era LA was incredible, which he actually talked about on a recent episode of Doug Loves Movies. He came off as a bit pretentious at times but it only added to the idea that he really loves making quality movies.
"If I'm holding a baby and I say 'cunt punch,' it's gonna be pretty fucking funny." - Zouks

#53 Smigg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 07:06 AM

View PostRyan Sz, on 18 July 2016 - 07:03 AM, said:

Nice Guys further proves that Shane Black can make the best "non-Christmas but set around Christmas" movies ever. The amount of detail that they put into recreating 70s era LA was incredible, which he actually talked about on a recent episode of Doug Loves Movies. He came off as a bit pretentious at times but it only added to the idea that he really loves making quality movies.

Not only that, it was a comedy that was genuinely laugh out loud funny, and there were parts of the movie I missed because I was laughing at something else.

Gosling was absolutely perfect for that movie.

#54 Yoko Zbornak

Alien Cover Girl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 08:10 AM

View Posttomspanks, on 18 July 2016 - 05:49 AM, said:

Hope he's also doing the fight choreography.

I checked imdb, he's not, sadly.

I should also note that the other Chinese actor in Rogue One is Jiang Wen. He's a Big Deal actor in China. No doubt the casting of a Chinese actor and a Hong Kong actor is to broaden the movie's appeal in Chinese-speaking markets (Shanghai Disney Resort had recently opened and there's a Disneyland in Hong Kong), but it's still a score for diversity that Chinese actors are appearing for the first time in a Star Wars movie.
  • I've always known that in your heart, you were a scientist first, a Templar second. - Alan Rikkin (Assassin's Creed)

#55 Ryan Sz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,577 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 09:10 AM

View PostAuden, on 18 July 2016 - 08:10 AM, said:

I checked imdb, he's not, sadly.

I should also note that the other Chinese actor in Rogue One is Jiang Wen. He's a Big Deal actor in China. No doubt the casting of a Chinese actor and a Hong Kong actor is to broaden the movie's appeal in Chinese-speaking markets (Shanghai Disney Resort had recently opened and there's a Disneyland in Hong Kong), but it's still a score for diversity that Chinese actors are appearing for the first time in a Star Wars movie.

Aren't studios doing that as well to get tax write offs in various Asian markets? I remember there being something about Iron Man 3 shooting exclusive scenes featuring an Asian actress that were only going to be shown in the Chinese version of the movie.

#56 Cameron H.

This Charming Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,479 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 18 July 2016 - 09:14 AM

Glad to hear Ghostbusters is good! I am looking forward to seeing it, but of course, that won't be until I can get it on Amazon. I truly wish I could have seen that instead of the movie I did see this weekend--Crimson Peak--which I felt was absolute garbage (and not in a fun HDTGM way either).

However, my big question is: what's everyone's take on The Shadow? I only made it (maybe) halfway yesterday, and when I had the opportunity to pick up where I left off this morning, I really couldn't conjure up the desire to do so...I really wanted to like it, and I felt like it started interestingly enough, but after awhile, I just felt it had gotten tedious.

I don't know, maybe it's just me. What I can say, is every time I try to talk about it, I keep wanting to call it The Spirit instead of The Shadow. I can't help but wonder if The Spirit (which I have not seen) might have been a more interesting pick...
Billy: Jake! Jake! Jamieeeeeeeeeee!

The Wraith (1986)

Emcee: Oh, that's wicked! That's sooooooo wicked!

That Thing You Do! (1996)

#57 taylor anne photo

A Most Peculiar Mademoiselle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts
  • LocationDeep in the heart of Texas

Posted 18 July 2016 - 09:23 AM

View PostCameron H., on 18 July 2016 - 09:14 AM, said:

Glad to hear Ghostbusters is good! I am looking forward to seeing it, but of course, that won't be until I can get it on Amazon. I truly wish I could have seen that instead of the movie I did see this weekend--Crimson Peak--which I felt was absolute garbage (and not in a fun HDTGM way either).

Oh man I really really enjoyed Crimson Peak! I thought it was ridiculous in all the right ways and Jessica Chastain's acting was legit superb!

My best friend and I went to see it in theaters and that moment where she flips the book to reveal that drawn sex scene made us laugh out loud for a long while. We had to legitimately control ourselves so that we wouldn't burst out laughing throughout the movie because of that.

#58 Ryan Sz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,577 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 09:27 AM

View PostCameron H., on 18 July 2016 - 09:14 AM, said:

However, my big question is: what's everyone's take on The Shadow? I only made it (maybe) halfway yesterday, and when I had the opportunity to pick up where I left off this morning, I really couldn't conjure up the desire to do so...I really wanted to like it, and I felt like it started interestingly enough, but after awhile, I just felt it had gotten tedious.

I don't know, maybe it's just me. What I can say, is every time I try to talk about it, I keep wanting to call it The Spirit instead of The Shadow. I can't help but wonder if The Spirit (which I have not seen) might have been a more interesting pick...

See I loved Crimson Peak as a gothic romance, which sadly was not how it was portrayed in US trailers, but rather a horror movie, though I admit that I can barely get through Tom Hiddleston's eye scene. I am going to watch The Shadow today, and at most have only seen maybe three minutes of it on TV so that isn't the best barometer, but I'm sure it's leaps and bounds better than The Spirit which is basically Frank Miller going "what if The Spirit was in Sin City?" I can't even sit through it all the way and I've tried on a few occasions. Hell read the wikipedia for the movie and you'll feel like your brain is melting, which means it would be perfect for the show. The only positive from that movie is that it led Gabriel Macht into doing more serious roles like Suits, which is a fantastic show.

#59 Cameron H.

This Charming Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,479 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 18 July 2016 - 09:55 AM

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 18 July 2016 - 09:23 AM, said:

Oh man I really really enjoyed Crimson Peak! I thought it was ridiculous in all the right ways and Jessica Chastain's acting was legit superb!

My best friend and I went to see it in theaters and that moment where she flips the book to reveal that drawn sex scene made us laugh out loud for a long while. We had to legitimately control ourselves so that we wouldn't burst out laughing throughout the movie because of that.

View PostRyan Sz, on 18 July 2016 - 09:27 AM, said:

See I loved Crimson Peak as a gothic romance, which sadly was not how it was portrayed in US trailers, but rather a horror movie, though I admit that I can barely get through Tom Hiddleston's eye scene. I am going to watch The Shadow today, and at most have only seen maybe three minutes of it on TV so that isn't the best barometer, but I'm sure it's leaps and bounds better than The Spirit which is basically Frank Miller going "what if The Spirit was in Sin City?" I can't even sit through it all the way and I've tried on a few occasions. Hell read the wikipedia for the movie and you'll feel like your brain is melting, which means it would be perfect for the show. The only positive from that movie is that it led Gabriel Macht into doing more serious roles like Suits, which is a fantastic show.

Yeah, I don't know what I can say about Crimson Peak except that I respectfully disagree...

I thought it was fairly well-acted. I'm not much for "Horror" movies, and I kind of knew already that it wasn't that, which is I gave it a chance in the first place. It's just, to me, it felt long and meandering when it really didn't need to be. It also felt like it was trying so hard to be incredibly clever, but it was never really ahead of me in order to earn that, I don't know what to call it...smugness? This isn't to say, "Look at me. I'm so smart" it's just, personally, I was never all that surprised by it. And when it would pull back the curtain, I was like, "Yeah, I know." It felt like it was all style, no substance.

When my wife and I were talking about it later, I was telling her I would have preferred that the whole movie just occurred in the main character's head. Like, her own insecurities were manifesting this decrepit old house and this strange incestuous relationship, when in reality, it was a normal suburban house with a perfectly healthy brother/sister relationship, and that the "horror" (so to speak), was primarily a product of her own imagination and perceptions. Not saying that that is incredibly original, but it would have been something. In the end, I found it to be entirely forgettable. The only things I really took away from it were these two things. Firstly, no matter what you were in life, your ghost will be a gruesome Hell Spawn. And secondly, if after I've passed I ever need to warn my loved ones of some evil may come there way, I'm going to go with a lighter touch. Why? Because they're my loved ones and I don't really want to terrify them. That's just not cool.
Billy: Jake! Jake! Jamieeeeeeeeeee!

The Wraith (1986)

Emcee: Oh, that's wicked! That's sooooooo wicked!

That Thing You Do! (1996)

#60 Yoko Zbornak

Alien Cover Girl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 09:59 AM

View PostRyan Sz, on 18 July 2016 - 09:10 AM, said:

Aren't studios doing that as well to get tax write offs in various Asian markets?

Don't know.

View Posttaylor anne photo, on 18 July 2016 - 09:23 AM, said:

Chastain was awesome in that movie. Crimson Peak had 2 things going for me, Jessica Chastain and the art design. The movie looks gorgeous. The dialogue is not great, and Mia Wasikowska's faux-Austen dialogue made me angry.

I don't know whether someone really misheard the following or that person was pranking imdb.

Lucille Sharpe: You will stay here, with us... won't you? Wait for the storm to pass.
Dr. Alan McMichael: If you incest.

I actually double-checked the movie to make sure that Dr. McMichael said insist and not incest.