🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
DreamingStarkly

Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans (2009)

This is a fantastic movie. Is it crazy? Sure, although I think people have oversold that aspect. It's quite intelligent and a hell of a ride. Could they do this? Hmm.... It would be closer to one of the movies like Road House or Fast and Furious where it is good, but crazy. Of course those good but crazy movies were also dumb. This feels like a movie with a director much more in control. The only real negative thing I can say is that the lizard shots were rather self-indulgent but apart from that it has a fascinating main character and Cage uses his crazy acting style to it's strengths.

I think it's easy to dismiss the lead as another crazy performance, but there really is a lot going on with him. He's sort of like a more whacked out version of popular TV anti-heroes like Vic Mackey and Walter White. The character is consistent, but it is hard to get a bead on him. You can't easily peg him as a hero or villain. He clearly has some values and is competant despite his completely self-destructive nature (I love that you expect things to really blow up... and they don't), but it doesn't stop him from being a disgusting human being.

What's more, the crazy-ass stuff is basically supposed to be as darkly funny as you find it (something that comes up a lot in Herzog, check out Klaus Kinski's freak-out scene in Fitzcarraldo when he tries to play opera for people in the middle of a party).

So should this be an episode...

I don't think it could sustain a regular episode. It's just not that kind of movie. I can understand those who don't like the movie, but I think you need to be a certain kind of movie to be on the show and this is not one.

• Like 3

I just saw this over the weekend. My first thought was to round up everyone I know to invite them to watch it with me. The second thought was that I need a How Did This Get Made about it. It's a bad movie. Sorry. I love Herzog also, but that doesn't excuse the random POV from reptiles, the creepy dialogue during the rape/sex scene (did your parents mole-est you?), the disappearing dog, the breakdancing spirit, the "my lucky crackpipe", the weird ending.

I've heard it suggested that the entire movie is a crack dream. As if that excuses a scene where he is going to kill an old lady. It's all a crack dream sounds like some lame M. Night twist. No. It's silly and bad. But it's hella entertaining. The Room and BL:POCNOLO are similar in that they both have scripts that seem as if they were written by an alien whose only contact with humanity was late night cable. But the real difference is what a great director brings to the table. And a great actor.

Def. must for HDTGM.

Just curious, what is your opinion of American Psycho?

You know what all the other movies below this post don't have that this one does?

Nic Cage

Nah, I can guarantee there are a good half a dozen or so Cage flicks down there. "Face/Off" finds it's way back to the front page once in a while.

Anyone seen the trailer yet for James McAvoy's "Filth"? I've affectionately dubbed it "Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call-United Kingdom".

PlanBFromOuterSpace thanks for posting about that film the"Filth", it look's brilliant. I watched the red band trailer on you tube. I like the part with the doctor and the drugs, scene played by actor Jim Broadbent, Most people would know him from Moulin Rouge and Harry Potter. based on what i watched it looks like it could be a good film.

• Like 1

PlanBFromOuterSpace thanks for posting about that film the"Filth", it look's brilliant. I watched the red band trailer on you tube. I like the part with the doctor and the drugs, scene played by actor Jim Broadbent, Most people would know him from Moulin Rouge and Harry Potter. based on what i watched it looks like it could be a good film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rsXHrgoUOc

Imogen Poots has *the* best name ever.

• Like 1

PlanBFromOuterSpace thanks for posting about that film the"Filth", it look's brilliant. I watched the red band trailer on you tube. I like the part with the doctor and the drugs, scene played by actor Jim Broadbent, Most people would know him from Moulin Rouge and Harry Potter.

Let's not forget Mayor Tweed from Gangs of New York

Bump, because this is a wonderful, fever dream of a film. I want to see June trying to peel back the thematic onion of this movie.

This movie is a great great movie. Its 87% on RT is affirmation of this.

• Like 2

I'm just glad that Jason gave us the expression "Thank God That This Got Made" to describe movies like this.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this