🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 0 - The Room Where It's Happening

A sneak peek of Hamilton fan podcast “The Room Where It's Happening,” coming to Earwolf on August 15th! Join hosts Travon Free and Michael Drucker on a song-by-song journey through the biggest musical of all time. Superfan guests include Kristin Chenoweth, Adam Savage and John Hodgman plus Hamilton biographer Ron Chernow and cast members Anthony Ramos and Jasmin Cephas Jones. Subscribe now and you won't miss a thing.

• Like 3

I guess ill give this podcast a .....shot...

get it? like the song...from the musical... Hamilton

• Like 3

If they have Jimmy Pardo on, I might listen. But honestly, I'm kinda sick of hearing him and everyone else on the internet talk about that damn musical.

I'm excited about this podcast. Listening to all the episodes now. I'd leave a message about my favorite song but I don't know if I can pick one. It sort of depends on the day.

Maybe we could start a thread about how we all got into HAMILTON? That might be interesting. I'd love to know how everyone discovered it.

I actually saw the Roots talking about it on Jimmy Fallon, when it was at the Public. And I couldn't get seats at the Public and was SAD, SAD. (I'm a history nerd and had this same issue with BLOODY, BLOODY ANDREW JACKSON.) So when they moved to Broadway I was super excited. Except I work in children's book publishing--not a lucrative profession--so I didn't have money for seats. I thought I'd have to convince my sister/roommate (who works in software engineering) that she wanted to go see it.

But then it turns out I didn't have to. She had read an article about it in "Time Out" and came to me saying she wanted to see it and would I go with her. I was like, "Heck yeah!" So we got tickets for it early in its Broadway run. I know the soundtrack wasn't out yet, and I'm kind of jealous of people who got to listen to the soundtrack first, because I was waaaay up in the nosebleed seats trying to keep track of all the rhymes (which, of course, are very intricate) and make sense of the changes made to the Chernow biography--which I had read.

There were also VERY old ladies sitting all around us. And they kept loudly saying how they couldn't understand what anyone was saying except "the King" and that they wanted them to "bring the King back." I LOLed. (But, later, it made me angry when I had an African American teen I worked with who DESPERATELY wanted to see the show and wasn't able to afford tickets. I really wished I could retroactively give her those old ladies' tickets.)

I went home and immediately pre-ordered the soundtrack. Then I found out they were having a signing at my local B&N with the cast the day it came out. That was when I first realized it was a PHENOMENON. Because I rolled into the B&N and there was a huge LINE of people with wrist bands and waiting since the store opened to get their albums signed by the cast. (Sadly, I didn't get mine signed. But I did get to see Daveed Diggs randomly walking through the stacks, and hear the interview.)

Since then I went kind of crazy. I read the Chernow Washington bio, THE QUARTET, THE HEMINGSES OF MONTICELLO, BENJAMIN FRANKLIN, JOHN ADAMS, LAFAYETTE IN THE SOMEWHAT UNITED STATES and some papers on Hercules Mulligan (I tried to get his biography but it's one of those ones you can't take out the library. Very vexing. Someone should reprint his autobiography. I can also confirm the plaque that used to mark the cite of his shop is now gone. I demand it be returned, Water Street. Let's start a petition.) I spent a couple months working on the Hamilton Genius page, annotating the lyrics. (It got kind of overwhelming and I haven't done anything in weeks and weeks. But I'm still a top ten contributor--the one with "respect the Washingbubble as an avatar--jealous?)

I'm going to Mt. Vernon in a couple of weeks too... because that's the nerd I am.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this