🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Fazer

Hitchcock Versus ideas

I've been thinking about this for a few days now and I came up with two ideas for Hitchcock versus episodes:

Hitchcock + Cary Grant in

Notorious vs North by Northwest

or Hitchcock + Jimmy Stewart in

Rear Window vs. Vertigo

I think To Catch a Thief would go better with either Notorious or North by Northwest than the two would together. NxNW is very much a 1950s action movie, breezy and funny, the primary precursor to the Bond films, and feels very different from Notorious, a more character-based and classic studio romantic thriller. Although TCaT and NxNW both also work as colorful, splashy, comic travelogues.

So maybe:

To Catch a Thief v North by Northwest

or

Rebecca v Notorious

?

I would highly recommend not pitting two "slam dunk" Hitchcocks against each other. Don't include the likes of Psycho, Veritgo, North by Northwest, The Birds, etc in an episode; do the next tier films, like Dial M for Murder or The 39 Steps.

I mean, we're almost 100 episodes in and have done countless Spielberg films but still have yet to touch Jaws.

• Like 1

I'd rather do two slam dunk Hitchcock films, because that's way more fun. I mean, choosing between Vertigo and Psycho? How does anyone do that? That's as difficult as they come. I'd rather not pull punches.

I'd rather do two slam dunk Hitchcock films, because that's way more fun. I mean, choosing between Vertigo and Psycho? How does anyone do that? That's as difficult as they come. I'd rather not pull punches.

Well, I know where I'd go on that one.

A few months ago, I suggested Citizen Kane v Vertigo, which Devin replied to, suggesting some perverse interest (which was really my point in suggesting it). Because of the recent AFI #1 re-shuffling, not because I felt one didn't deserve inclusion.

But two of the best Hitchcocks against each other, for no good reason? No. I'd be reachy-peachy-keen if To Catch a Thief missed out, or Saboteur, or Dial M for Murder, or even (barely) Strangers on a Train. But Vertigo? North By Northwest (my personal favorite of his)? Psycho? Rear Window? Denied entry? Sure, I'm still holding my bloody grudge against Frodo for Empire Strikes Back, but we must all be civilized. Pitting the best against the best, just because.....we must not abuse our power.

• Like 1

Dial M for Murder vs Rope: Hitchcock movies that take place entirely in an apartment (or almost, since Dial M has - if I'm not wrong - one scene with Ray Milland calling Grace Kelly from a party).

Dial M for Murder vs Rope: Hitchcock movies that take place entirely in an apartment (or almost, since Dial M has - if I'm not wrong - one scene with Ray Milland calling Grace Kelly from a party).

You can throw Lifeboat into that mix too

Well, I know where I'd go on that one.

A few months ago, I suggested Citizen Kane v Vertigo, which Devin replied to, suggesting some perverse interest (which was really my point in suggesting it). Because of the recent AFI #1 re-shuffling, not because I felt one didn't deserve inclusion.

But two of the best Hitchcocks against each other, for no good reason? No. I'd be reachy-peachy-keen if To Catch a Thief missed out, or Saboteur, or Dial M for Murder, or even (barely) Strangers on a Train. But Vertigo? North By Northwest (my personal favorite of his)? Psycho? Rear Window? Denied entry? Sure, I'm still holding my bloody grudge against Frodo for Empire Strikes Back, but we must all be civilized. Pitting the best against the best, just because.....we must not abuse our power.

I couldn't agree with you more. Versuses are the most fun, if there is some interesting reason outside of the films' context to pitch them against each other (i.e. Sight And Sound's somewhat controversial 2012 poll for Citizen Kane vs. Vertigo), so you can anchor the discussion on a certain angle. It also works if the two films had a similar cultural impact (i.e. King Kong vs. Jurassic Park in terms of who did special effects in monster movies better), or if it's a original vs. a remake (Let Me In vs. Let The Right One In). I really don't see much reason to put up two of Hitchcock's greatest films against each other, since each would lend itself easily to a one-hour stand-alone discussion. Which is, by the way, also something I noticed during the Boogie Nights vs. There Will Be Blood episode. I loved Boogie Nights, and voted for it, but I was a bit disappointed that the same discussion-effort wasn't spent on There Will Be Bloodl.