🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 25 — Who Is The Nerdist?

It seems like every time you click refresh on the Nerdist website there is new cool stuff happening. What started as a blog and transitioned into a podcast is now a television pilot, a live performance space at Meltown Comics, a podcasting network, and even a book! Chris Hardwick is here to try to discuss all of that as well as his partnership with Geek Chic and the economic difficulties of doing a podcast live. We even get Chris' opinion on our new Earwolf Live App and a stellar suggestion for a new, simpler term to replace "download." Listen to the episode and, as always, let us know what you think over on the forums!

Where everybody at? I'm here. Have you listened yet? Thoughts on the episode?

Loved the episode, anytime you talk with a host of one of the other podcasts I listen to it is doubly informative. When you guys started talking about how a lot of the shows are being made into TV shows it got me thinking. If these shows take off do you think it will kill the podcast that they are based on?

Wolf Den + Nerdist + discussion about 'new media' = this girl is very very happy.

@robstraws- on the tv show tip, I'm not sure it's going to blow up like the actual podcasts are about to do...I don't know, it just seems to me that the tv show thing hit 'mainstream', then the actual podcasts may be almost "done", know what I mean? Kinda like the tv show thing would be stretching it out way too thin eventually. Eh, that's just my 2 cents...*

*that being said, I'm in no way hating on the Nerdist tv show- I'm really stoked for it. I just am thinking the whole genre podcasts of it all won't necessarily translate to tv.

Jeff, this was a great episode. Chris has such an excitement for podcasts, and it is always great to hear him talk about it in terms of the future, the possibilities for everything. I have let a few of these episodes pile up, because this show doesn't translate so well while I am working, as I would rather stop and really focus in on what is being said, but plating catch up has been good. They have all been home-runs, that's a sports reference i think. There's a nap for that.

Really interesting episode. I liked the discussion about whether a show needs to be good right away, or if it has time to grow. I am super on the fence. The biggest problem with the entire podcast landscape is that there are just way too many high quality ones. And, there is probably a high quality one that super fits someone’s exact tastes. That is certainly great for the listener, but I think it puts a huge premium on the quality of every individual episode. Someone can listen to five minutes of a podcast, not like it, then never listen again without ever really missing out on overall entertainment because there are just so many other great choices. At the same time the listener base is growing so rapidly that new and interesting things from an existing show can convert / pull in a new hardcore fan. This is certainly evident with Jeff’s statistic of so many people becoming listeners because of a host being a guest on another podcast or Christine Taylor’s Gateway podcast guests things.

I’d be interested to know when Chris feels like he found his voice in the podcasting medium. The first 10 episodes of Nerdist were pretty regular around the kitchen table style shows, but then he started really innovating more than I think “growing”. His live panels that he moderates, the interviews with people for Wired magazine, the new faces standup thing, the muppets, his Terriers slobberfest episode (best TV show ever), the musical episode, all these things were/are awesome, new and different. I think he way underplays how interestingly innovative he has been over the last two years. He is ridiculously killing it on the stand up lately too. “Growth” to me implies a gradual shifting, but I think he is taking big leaps pretty often. The same can really be said about Earwolf, and that is what makes both of them so interesting.

Very excited to hear about the new Nerdist Industries shows. And Matt Bessers and Brett Gelmans upcoming podcasts. But goddammit, there is not enough hours in the week to listen to all the shows I want to hear! What a great time to be a podcast nerd. I will never have friends again, with these earbuds permanately planted in my ears.

I think it's interesting that both Mr. Ullrich and Mr. Hardwick talk about building their brand (or voice or whatever) and expanding their business in order to facilitate their endeavors. It almost seems like both are attempting to reach some sort of plateau where they will be comfortable and be able to administer their various interests from a high, stable (financially and organizationally), and relaxed position. However, I think this will never be achieved... which is why both of these guys have given us so much great content. I think truly creative people are never satisfied with their current position and always have to strive for more. It may be a different vision from what they thought this realm of their careers would be, but it still is something of their own making (and something I enjoy very much).

Also, I think the statistic stating that 23% of Americans have downloaded a podcast might be misleading. I mean, what percent of Americans are over the age of 70? So many of the people who were already middle-aged when the personal computer became commercially viable will just never bother with podcasts or iTunes or any such thing. I think more specified demographics are necessary. Like, what percentage of people with access to podcasts actually listen to them? Out of the people who do listen to podcasts, how much time do they spend listening to them? How many people who are aware of podcasts actually bother with them? Etc.

Most importantly, this was a great episode. Much thanks.

Loved listening to you two yap about this stuff. Onwards and upwards!

Sign in to follow this