🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JackChristensen

Women in Politics on Film

Well, since there's no Hard Day's Night thread yet, I'll make another post I've been thinking about. I've been catching up on episodes I missed when my iPod went a crazy, and listening to the Election episode I was struck by something. One of the hosts commented about how Reese Witherspoon said that Hillary Clinton told her (follow that?) that she gets compared to Tracy Flick, and it's a shame that we only have one cinematic template for a woman in politics to compare to real-life women in politics. Personally when I think of 'women in politics' in terms of cinema/pop culture, my mind goes to Leslie Knope from Parks and Recreation. I love that show and I think Amy Poehler is brilliant. I know it's TV and not movies, but... Anyone else? What characters do you think of? I also immediately flash on The Contender, about a woman's battle to be brought in as a vice president. It's been too long since I've seen it to accurately judge how good that movie was, but I loved it when I saw it [back when it was a new release on VHS].

Sign in to follow this