🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
andreslucero

How can we improve the Earwolf.com forums?

Many of you have made suggestions for improving the forums, so here are some of the ideas we're considering:

• Facebook/Twitter login
  • User avatars
  • Recent activity view across all forums
  • Better replies/threaded comments
  • Ability to subscribe to threads via email
  • Private messages

Let us know if there's anything else you'd like to see added or improved upon. What features do you use on other forums that you'd like to see at Earwolf? Help us help you!

• Like 4

All of that sounds good to me. I think being able to have some more information in your profile page would help too, maybe have it show how many posts you've made.

That all sounds good. Also, something that notes when a post is new or unread.

One feature i like in forums is either a count at the bottom of the main page that show how many users are online and/or whch users they are

and of your list, i think better replies, "quoted" replies, etc are the most important

Most websites / communities shy away from chat. I can see why, people let it get out of hand. I may be going out on a limb but I think the people here would use it respectfully. Another idea could be an Earwolf staff member or guest could chat to answer questions or make announcements at a certain time weekly.

Thanks all, keep the suggestions coming.

Astralweeks - while we probably won't have IRC-style chat any time soon, I like the idea of a Q&A session with hosts/guests as a feature of the blog or forums.

Brand name snacks in the breakroom vending machines. Enough with this generic crap!

(I posted this in the jobs for the website team section. Admins can delete that post if they wish.)

I would like to edit or delete a post forever. I have noticed after a certain amount of time the edit feature goes away.

Astralweeks - I've been thinking about this, but what happens if someone deletes a topic (or even a thread within a topic) that others have already commented on? I think it could be confusing to others that are trying to follow the thread, or who have posted on a topic that suddenly disappears.

I'm curious to know when/why a thread would need to be deleted beyond the initial grace period (there are probably good reasons that I can't think of at the moment).

Better markup options, and a guide to what they mean

Also some sort of WYSIWYG thing, where hitting enter actually puts a line in your post

Andres- I totally agree with your point that it might be hard to follow. If someone's opinion has changed or said something that they regret the delete option would be nice or at least the option to always edit. [Just used the edit button to add a point :)] If there was a way to go directly to your account with a link on top that would be nice. To find out if a thread that I posted to has been updated I have to go to one of my posts and click on my name. Seems like too much work.

• Like 1

Thanks all! We're evaluating a few different forum applications with more features than bbPress and hope to make the switch soon.

I like the suggestions so far, but if signatures are enabled an option to browse the forum with them hidden should also be enabled. And when avatars are enabled there needs to be a reasonable size limit so peeps aren't messing the place up with giant avatars.

Also, there should be a line break between paragraphs. I left a break in here and look ... it ain't there now.

How about you invent a debate program. two people enter a debate there are an even number of paragraph boxes allowing like 1000 or whatever number of characters . They may continually update it, argument and counter argument until both parties are satisfied. Better hurry I don't think it exists , could be wrong

debate program. If you realize your wrong about something change it, if your right, go to your next box and defend it. limit the number of boxes. Only 2 people.