🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
CarlosFerreira

Clint Eastwood's filmography

This week I watched Changeling for the first time. It's a great film, which reminded me that Clint Eastwood is a master film-maker. Changeling is arguably not his best work, but to sustain that level of drama for two hours plus straight with such a harrowing story is a great feat.

This got me thinking about which of Eastwood's films could qualify for the Canon. I suggest three which could be chosen from: Unforgiven, Letters from Iwo Jima (perhaps alongside Flags of Our Fathers, even though Letters is widely accepted as the best of the two), or Gran Torino.

Any thoughts on this?

• Like 1

Interesting that all three of those picks are from the 90s and afterwards. While I agree with Unforgiven,and would suggest Mystic River also, I think that his earlier Westerns are often ignored and Pale Rider, High Plains Drifter, and The Outlaw Josey Wales are deserving of consideration.

• Like 1

I read this opening post thinking: "please no Gran Torino". But, alas.

I feel like I'm alone in thinking that was a truly terrible movie.

Plenty of other good Eastwood movies to choose from, though.

• Like 1

Interesting that all three of those picks are from the 90s and afterwards. While I agree with Unforgiven,and would suggest Mystic River also, I think that his earlier Westerns are often ignored and Pale Rider, High Plains Drifter, and The Outlaw Josey Wales are deserving of consideration.

I think I might have seen seen Mystic River but can't really remember it. As to the Westerns, guilty as charged! It's a genre I am learning to love as we speak.

I read this opening post thinking: "please no Gran Torino". But, alas.

I feel like I'm alone in thinking that was a truly terrible movie.

There were many things wrong with Gran Torino; the general standard of acting for a start. BUT... as a genre piece it works really well. I might be a little uncomfortable with some of the messages in the film, but it certainly worked for me.

There were many things wrong with Gran Torino; the general standard of acting for a start. BUT... as a genre piece it works really well. I might be a little uncomfortable with some of the messages in the film, but it certainly worked for me.

Setting aside the message(s) of the film, how said messages were delivered drove. me. nuts.

Yes, the horrible acting is a huge part of this. But they can't be blamed for a script that contains lines of direct exposition like (paraphrasing):

"He's laying there with his arms spread out. You know... like Jesus."

I think Unforgiven would be a clear slam dunk for the show. Since it hasn't come up yet: What do you think of Million Dollar Baby? For what it's worth, it's my mom's favorite film, apart from Hot Fuzz (I know.... a strange pairing. But oh well, moms be moms), I enjoyed it quite a lot, and Roger Ebert called it a masterpiece. I know, it's become a bit fashionable to dislike Million Dollar Baby, and I am not sure if it's worthy of inclusion to the Canon, but I think exactly these points could lead to a more interesting discussion.

Million Dollar Baby is fine. Hilary Swank is one of those actresses that I feel never quite got the roles that she deserved. I wonder how Boys Don't Cry holds up

Setting aside the message(s) of the film, how said messages were delivered drove. me. nuts.

Yes, the horrible acting is a huge part of this. But they can't be blamed for a script that contains lines of direct exposition like (paraphrasing):

"He's laying there with his arms spread out. You know... like Jesus."

Ugh. I need to watch that film again.

I think Unforgiven would be a clear slam dunk for the show. Since it hasn't come up yet: What do you think of Million Dollar Baby? For what it's worth, it's my mom's favorite film, apart from Hot Fuzz (I know.... a strange pairing. But oh well, moms be moms), I enjoyed it quite a lot, and Roger Ebert called it a masterpiece. I know, it's become a bit fashionable to dislike Million Dollar Baby, and I am not sure if it's worthy of inclusion to the Canon, but I think exactly these points could lead to a more interesting discussion.

I have never seen Million Dollar Baby - my mom (accidentally) spoiled it for me a couple of weeks after it came out, because she thought I had already seen it. I need to catch up with that.

Speaking of moms, I remember watching The Bridges of Madison County with her ages ago. I remember liking it, and thinking it was a very affecting film - a bit like Changeling, actually. Who'd have thought that the guy from the Western Spaghettis would end up directing films like those?