🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 1.2 — Meet the Podcasts: Day 2

Today is day two of the Earwolf Challenge and its time to meet some more contestants. First off we have Ham Radio which features Brett Hamil writing, performing and editing sketches all by himself. Next we get a look inside the married home of Elizabeth and Andy, host and “psychic” of Totally Laime who pride themselves on asking the most important people the least important questions. We also have Television Zombies whose love of sci-fi and fantasy strikes a chord with Matt. We end todays episode with The F Plus who offer us a look at the most awful garbage the internet has to offer. Just three more contestants left to meet, so stop by back tomorrow to get to know them!

*****I think the description is wrong for this episode. We heard the totally lame podcast and not left handed radio. *****

Hearing the podcasts today I think the best fit for Earwolf would be the totally lame podcast. They seem to have an ease about them while still being funny. Would I like to hear more from TV zombies? Of course but even though I am male the totally lame podcast would bring something to females that the others don't. That being said they all sound good although F+ is a tad creepy.

Ps Matt Besser just rung the nerd alarm bell heard 'round the world. I like hearing people geek out about stuff so it was nice.

@astralweeks I agree with you regarding the Totally Laime Podcast. They did a great job in their intro of explaining the show and featuring clips of the podcast, so people know what an actual episode sounds like. Some of the other shows didn't feature podcast clips in their intros, so I could only form an initial impression based on their voices and show synopses. And, of course, the fact that Totally Laime Podcast highlighted their notable past guests is a surefire way to get attention. So far (based on the first two episodes of The Earwolf Challenge), that's the show that's interested me the most.

Yeah, there were some edits and updates since I wrote my notes so they weren't completely accurate. I went ahead and fixed 'em up. Go Totally Laime!

I have to say all of these podcasts were fun but the one that grabbed my attention the most was Totally Laime. Anyone can interview but Andy and Elizabeth seem to really bring out the personality of the characters. Plus I agree with Julia Hays I liked that they did actual clips from their Podcasts. I also love that it is a female taking the lead role with a male side kick. Something you don't see a lot of in the PodCast world.

Gotta say I loved what Ham Radio does. It really feels inventive, and I think that the editing time shines through.

There are only so many hours in the day, and while I would love to fit in another hour+ interview podcast, I feel like there's a more glaring need for a shorter scripted podcast. Then again this competition isn't about what I would listen to, rather what makes a great podcast all together. I can see a top quality interview podcast like TLP having more time to work on the competition, since there are two hosts and there is less production time. It will be interesting to see if a heavy production podcast like Ham Radio can keep up.

That said, hang in there Brett! i'm rooting for ya!

Totally Laime is awesome. Been listening to them since Kumail episode.

Totally Laime sounded like an absolute delight. The first of the lot that I want to start listening to now based on their intro clip/interview.

F+ was a real throwback. I used to frequent The Portal of Evil!!! Maybe having Seanbaby from seanbaby.com is going to show up.

Totally Laime is great. Their podcast is too good for this dumb contest.

Thanks for selecting The F+ as part of the contest, Earwolf! I was a regular on Portal of Evil as well, and they're one of my favorite podcasts.

I totally love Totally Laime! Not only is it my favourite amongst the nominees so far, it's alrady one of my favourite podcasts in general.

Totally Laime is the only podcast in the Earwolf Challenge I already listened to. I found it searching for other podcast appearances by Harris Wittels and liked it enough to become a regular listener. The hosts are great and they get some excellent guests.

From the comments so far it seems like the one to beat.

i think i'm going to have to get in the corner of television zombies. nerd revolution

I love TVZ. I got a kick out of one of my favorite podcast crews talking to Matt Besser, who is a super awesome dude.

All of the podcast contestants sound interesting so far - it looks to be a great group of people for the challenge, and I'm likely going to start listening to most of their podcasts. I'd be hard-pressed to predict a winner based on the intro interviews alone, but having listened to about 150 episodes or so of Television Zombies, I know that they are going to be fierce competitors in this. How TVZ manages to stay fresh week after week is beyond me, but they do. Not only are they consistently funny, but they know their field like nobody's business. In the last half-year or so their podcast has really exploded: the hosts' chemistry is great, and Chris' interviews are really fantastic. You can tell by the questions he asks that he does a LOT of research about the interviewees prior to speaking with them. That, or he's just preternaturally lucky at asking random questions that turn out to be pertinent. He doesn't carry the show all on his own, though -- it's truly a team effort and Jeff and Chuck are also equally great. I'm pulling for them to win this thing.

Very psyched to hear more from Ham Radio. Matt calls it out himself when he said Brett is truly doing something unique and under (un?) represented in the group. Some of the other podcasts have interesting hooks but who has time for yet another interview podcast? Brett is playing with the short format, scripted, comedy show which is what Earwolf needs, not another quasi-morning zoo-cast.

We're on the studio bleechers holding our "American Loves Ham" sign.

Sign in to follow this