🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JosephDaley

Cronenberg's Crash

Cronenberg's Crash is one of my favorite movies--- of *ALL TIME*. I don't think this is an indulgence, I think this movie is one of the most quotable movies of the 1990's,I think it's a vastly misunderstood masterwork from one of the most intellectually stimulating auteurs working today, and I think it's just so niche, weird, and frankly just plain ol' interesting movies we could ever talk about for The Canon.

I've agonized for months over which Cronenberg film to submit as a suggestion, and I want them all. I want Videodrome, I want Dead Ringers, I want The Brood, The Fly ( :unsure: ), Eastern Promises... I mean, the only two films of his that i dont enjoy are Fast Company and M. Butterfly. What does everyone think--- am I crazy? Is this the wrong Cronenberg?

film-crash.jpg

I think it's a genius adaptation and really shows Cronenberg as someone who had now mastered the craft of filmmaking. His sense of mood here is so appropriate to the material and he got some very finely calibrated performances. Even more than Videodrome and The Fly, Crash has a fascination with the meeting of the sexual/physical and the technological. His earlier films seem to say that our love for technology will inevitably destroy us, while in Crash the very literal intersection of biology and technology is sexually liberating, even spiritually liberating. You could even say this is a transhumanist film that bends towards optimism (at least, I choose to see it that way).

I don't know if it's canon but it's a great film and a truly great adaptation of a notoriously difficult to adapt author.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this