🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 26 — Well That Was Weird

For the first time, Jeff records an episode from his apartment and without guests. He monologues about trying to survive a rough week at Earwolf, why you should pursue your passion and how to afford titty bars. He also plays messages from listeners about what they like about Earwolf and what can be improved. He even discusses his thoughts on inappropriate laughter in lactation rooms. Enjoy this weird episode.

To be honest, I would listen to a show like Eardrop that was just fans calling in sharing their favorite Earwolf show moments of the week and other random thoughts. Fan shoutouts make me happy. P.S. I like 'preachy' Jeff talking about pursuing one's dreams, even if that dream involves making at rain at strip clubs. Regarding question #4, I laughed at Jeff's summation: "For the most part you guys are great, everyone once in awhile... you're creepy." But now I feel like there's suspense, because we'll never know what those messages were. Release the tapes! (Ok, I'm imagining they're funny creepy like Don Dimelo, but if they're actually creepy, then maybe no.) Can't wait to hear the coming annoucements from Earwolf!

So, directly after listening to this weeks ep, I had my most embarrassing Ear Wolf experience. I use Android Listen to subscribe to all of the Earwolf shows and, apparently, it keeps a queue of things to listen to that I'm too lazy to learn how to delete. The app is kinda buggy in and of itself, as it likes to skip in between shows for no reason whatsoever. Walking into my office, I hit pause on this week's ep and threw my phone into my pocket. I guess something in my pocket hit the screen and, not only did it unpause the player, it also skipped to a half listened to Affirmation Nation. So, I walk in the door and what's the first thing that comes out of my phone? Bob Ducca saying "unlimited masturbation." Yeah...

@Sam... Thank goodness it was just Bob Ducca and not Brett Gelman's iBrain.

I have found that the moments are embarrassing because most people are not aware of podcasts. They think that you are listening to weird al or something. I try to think of another word to replace podcast but im tapped. Also I was shocked that the wolf den was the least listened to show, I find it informative and entertaining.

Earwolf could use a companion to How Did This Get Made, time slot wise. The Wolf den could be every other week. The audio player needs a volume function. Live broadcasts would be appreciated too. Did you turn down Chris Hardwick's offer to use Nerdmelt? It seems odd to rent when you only use the space for a few hours a day. I worry about your money situation. Hopefully you can get some advertising soon. Also, I know you were frustrated and maybe he deserved it, but I feel that you threw Engineer Doug under the bus.

Don't get discourage. You are putting out an exceptional product. I am glad you went above and beyond to release this week's Wolf Den. This show ranks in my top three out of all the current podcasts available. I am wondering why you have not decided to partner with advertisers. It would be a no-brainer for FX to put in a quick ad before or during a show that features Nick Kroll or that tiny talent agent from Shutterbug Inc. Maron appears to have seamlessly integrated it into his show.

I personally believe that subscription/donation based model is not long term or sustainable. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Good luck and keep your head up!

Also, this is exactly the kind of thing I meant in my really long and rambling call where I said the same thing over and over. This kind of call-in idea is great, and really does help that connection to fans. It's awesome to think that all those fans called and said something, and then someone listened.

You don't get that a lot these days.

I appreciate the fact that Jeff did this ep- Shahruz, too! I appreciated the little pep talk thrown in there about doing one thing a day to get to where you want to be- I take that kind of advice to heart and hope to hear more stuff like that sprinkled throughout the Wolf Den.

Hang in there, Jeff! I'm an older fan- 38- and I listen during my boring day job as well, which I don't mind as much because I'm mostly driving, and now listening to a slew of excellent podcasts (including, of course, every Earwolf podcast) which I couldn't possibly live without. I hold Earwolf and all of its shows in the same regard as I hold The State, The Young Ones, Monty Python, Freaks and Geeks- all shows which seemed to be aimed right at me and my sensibilities and particular taste. It's part of my wiring now, part of the lexicon of my brain. Lifelong fan here. Keep putting them out, however possible. I'm sure you've considered setting up shop in a room in your house, or a friends house, WTF style? Or having a mobile engineer that can travel with gear from place to place? I've seen portable sound proofing materials, the kind that fold out like a room partition.

Thanks everyone for listening the commenting. I wish I could respond to each of you, but our forum replies suck and it's too hard. Andres is trying to figure out a way to improve stuff like that. It'd be great to be able to reply to each comment individually like we used to be able to do with our Disqus comments.

Loved the episode this week, Jeff. Really great idea by Shahruz and a cool format with you interjecting between, saying what the questions were, etc. Making this maybe a monthly/bi-monthly/semi-regular thing could be awesome. I love hearing what other listeners actually sound like and what they like to compare or contrast against my likes, and hearing their embarrassing stories really made me relate.

And hearing you monologue was refreshing, too. Like you said, you do a fair amount of talking with guests, but it's certainly a different dynamic when it's just you and a microphone. Really enjoyed that part as well.

Really enjoyed this week's episode. I love Jeff waxing Gatsby as he looks out from his office at Maron's Hill. One Jeff, we'll find that american dream and die a (sort of) martyr, victimized by the fabric of our own desires.

Also, what does it mean to swear "adorably"? Sounds awesome.

I wish checked my twitter feed while this was going on! I was about an hour late on it. Also, is it me or is Jeff not the audio twin of Bill Hader. I like to think that he was BIll's voice double in Cloudy With a Chance Of Meetballs.

I didn't get to call in but I have a suggestion to improve The Wolf Den. First some quick context: I have been listening as a big fan since pre-Earwolf days of Comedy Death Ray. I also make it a point to listen to most everything that this podcast network posts as I find it truly inspired (that is the highest compliment I could think of other than 'funny'). My suggestion: let The Wolf Den be what it is. Jeff Ulrich is fantastic and I have truly felt the honesty and earnestness on many occasions.

The show is a niche within a niche and not achieving the numbers in comparison to other shows on the network is understandable. Would the ratings of a drama on Comedy Central be as good as The Daily Show? Think of The Wolf Den as an audio diary that includes a community of committed and interested fans. I love it and I bet there are others who feel the same way.

Jeff, I don't know if what your dealing with is necessarily a generation gap, as much as it might be a gap in thought process, unless I completely misunderstood you. It feels like creative, young people should be the kinds interested in experimenting in new media, but I don't think that's always the case, at least in terms of what I have observed in my peers. Even those who have an interest in using Internet / new media as a creative medium, I'm not sure many of them know how to use it, or even approach the concept. I think the bigger issue is that we are all still so used to having the long standing technology and the preexisting community, and not needing to build it from the ground up. For example, one doesn't need to invent language, paper, the printing press, book stores, advertising and distribution models to write a novel. We aren't even conditioned to consider all the steps involved. However, I will admit that age is an issue in all of this, because younger people have an easier time reconditioning themselves.

These are just things this episode made me think about, off the top of my head. Again, I apologize if I misread your thoughts, and in the interest of full discretion, I'm a 24 year old undergrad at a rather small art college on the coast of Massachusetts and besides that I've spent a couple years amongst creative types in the Minneapolis / St Paul area. So, despite my broad statements, my cultural view is admittedly small.

On an unrelated note, I want you to know that I love and listen to all of the earwolf shows. It gets difficult, being stuck in my own head all day, and these shows keep me sane when I'm up the entire night creating art. Not to mention how inspiring it is, listening to hours of creative content. So, thank you.

Sign in to follow this