🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 51 — This Is How We Do It

If Sklarbro Country had a Vice President, it would be Chris Cox. His contributions to Sklarbro Country are consistently hilarious and have garnered the love of Sklones everywhere. You've heard him as Tiger Woods, Sam Elliott, Racist Vin Scully and more, now hear him without all the voices (okay, there are still some voices thrown in). Get to know his past as a writer on projects like Small Shots and Swing Blade and find out which impressions have yet to make their way to the calming shores. The guys talk music, Saturday Night Live, sports memories and more. It feels like you're hanging out with friends, only your friends' Owen Wilson impressions aren't as funny. Framed by the A.V. Club Undercover song series, this episode gracefully brings Sklarbro Country into it's second year as a podcast.

this was probably my favourite episode to date. love the comedy, the guests (real and chris-cox'ed), the music and especially the sports; but it was nice to hear from such a big part of the show and learn more about him. can't wait to hear michael caine on the show talking football - i never thought i'd hear a better michael caine impression than steve coogan, but chris might have nailed it!

This episode was great, not only as a fan who loves the show, but because I've been doing radio, characters, and voices since college myself (not half as good as Chris's, obviously), so it was fascinating to hear Chris talk about how he manifests his hilarious creations. I also loved hearing different voices and characters that normally don't appear on the show. Maybe Jeff Goldblum or Michael Caine will be making visits to the Calming Shores in the future?

Also, I really liked the talk about impressions, especially since I've thought along the same lines. Dana Carvey has done some of the best impressions in the history of television, but a lot of those impressions are creations inspired individuals, not imitations of how they sound. Carvey's Bush doesn't sound like President Bush, but it's still hilarious. A lot of people who have done Bush or Perot impressions since Carvey are really just doing his versions of those guys, so it's pretty awesome that Chris is willing and able to branch out and find his own in-roads into those characters.

I hope you guys heard the "Badly Drawn Boy" cover (on AV). Great episode. When Chris was listing all of his credits,I was really happy for his success.
A week early, but, I wish you all the best in the world.
Take care...Mick

Absolutely loved it. Showing how the sausage is made can be a little risky, but with someone as skilled and articulate as Chris, it's like watching gold being turned into sausages. Comedy history, linguistic physiology, this episode has it all.

I also loved that you played covers during the show about a guy who does celebrity voice covers. Very apt.

Said this on the Year In Review ep. but since it was lost in the site revamp, it's as good an excuse as any to repost it:

Chris Cox is a golden god

What a great show. I like hearing from skilled impressionists.

Oh, yeah, and Hogeboom did play (kind of) for the Cardinals (Phoenix). It was in 1989, after Neil Lomax and before Timm Rosenbaugh . It was a sad period in Cardinals history.

Definitely one of my favorite episodes so far. Right up there with the Jon Hamm episode. Randy and Jason could definitely carry this podcast on their own, but Chris Cox just takes it to a whole 'nother level. He truly is a Golden GOD. And his TV executive impersonation is pretty good too!

Yes We Cast! Brilliant episode, guys, and so nice to hear from Chris Cox in his normal voice. He has such a quick wit, I was surprised to hear he wasn't a stand-up comedian. But it's clear he also has great chemistry with Randy and Jason. They just kinda' give him the football (the one with the Internet shut-off key) and let him run with it. More Al Gore and Michael Caine, please! I hope Chris has continued success with his other projects, and props to Julia for the "Go punch a waterfall" shout-out!

Chris Cox rapping as Al Gore is one of the best Cox moments of the year. Is there any character he can't do?! P.S. Thanks for the shout out, gentlemen!

Very cool episode, I like the change up and the opportunity to get to know Chris more. I just started watching The Avengers on Netflix the night before I listened to the episode....very cool...by the way, Jose Conseco has been on Maui the past week with his Yuma Scorpions, playing against Maui's team, Na Koa Ikaika (I fillmed all the home games last year but decided not to this year, crap). He's doing a meet and greet thing tonight with his brother after the game...anyway, thanks for all the hard work and love all of you put into this podcast. Aloha!

It was pretty cool getting a peek behind the theoretical curtain this week...really appreciate that access. Congrats on almost a whole year, fellas! I've been enjoying my stay in the condo by the calming shores, waiting for my box of ponytails to arrive.

Great episode! I love the traditional format of the show, but I'm glad to see you guys experimenting with other formats as well. It bugs me some times when podcasts are so strict about sticking to the established format, the worst is when a host will have a really good rhythm going with his guest(s), and then all of a sudden will just end the show because they're "out of time". It's like, come on, this isn't television! You guys make the rules and can change the rules at any time, so I'm always happy to hear when podcasters experiment and take advantage of the creative freedom they have.

Randy and Jason, you guys are great interviewers, and I hope to see more episode-long interviews mixed in in the future.

By the way, Chris Cox fans- he makes an appearance on the Doug Loves Movies 'Tournament of Championships vol. 2 (with Scott Aukerman, Paul F. Tompkins & Sam Levine) as "Fake Edgar Wright".

This one's a $2 episode that's in all 2 hours long and one of the better DLMs I've heard lately... (just fyi!).

Yeah, dittos on the DLM TOC- I didn't realize that it was Cox and kept wondering, "Who is just nailing Edgar Wright??" Of course...I think they asked him to do it like a day before...Would love to hear an Adomian v. Cox showdown if Mr. Adomain ever makes it back to L.A...

Sign in to follow this