klemjohansen

Reading Regret

Welcome to the anti-book club. Let's talk about books we regret reading. Me first.

I don't remember exactly why I hated Children of Dune so much, but I gave up on it with 10 pages to go. Also, I was at the beach at the time and had nothing else to read all day, but still, it seemed worth it at the time not to let the bastard win. I read God Emperor Dune a few years later and loved it, so go figure. I didn't make it through Chapter House, but I don't think that was the book's fault.

Tuesdays with Morrie reads like a series of Hallmark cards ready by Hummel figurines, a simplistic, surface-level appeal to what the author assumes is our better nature. Never again am I going to let the "everyone is telling me to read this book" phenomenon drive book buying decisions. So much of the glurgy message of the book is about acceptance, and yet the text spends so much time judging people (the author judging himself and guessing at the motivations of random strangers to whom he never speaks) that you want to shake the author to death. Assuming that people who do not see the world as you do are miserable and in need of your help is deeply arrogant and gross. I don't know how else to describe the book and how I felt reading it but that word: gross.

I read Atlas Shrugged as an adventure story. A guy makes special metal and there's an issue with the trains blah blah blah. It was dumb, so very dumb,though I didn't hate it as much as Tuesdays because I knew it was a pseudo-intellectual snot rag from the get-go. Also, I skipped the 50 page speech at the end because I've got shit to do.

Your turn- what books did you read or (half read) only to regret it at some point?

I finished the Plague by Albert Camus and I should have given up. If a book isn't grabbing me by page 50 I give up now.

On 9/4/2016 at 8:29 AM, klemjohansen said:

Welcome to the anti-book club. Let's talk about books we regret reading. Me first.

I don't remember exactly why I hated Children of Dune so much, but I gave up on it with 10 pages to go. Also, I was at the beach at the time and had nothing else to read all day, but still, it seemed worth it at the time not to let the bastard win. I read God Emperor Dune a few years later and loved it, so go figure. I didn't make it through Chapter House, but I don't think that was the book's fault.

Tuesdays with Morrie reads like a series of Hallmark cards ready by Hummel figurines, a simplistic, surface-level appeal to what the author assumes is our better nature. Never again am I going to let the "everyone is telling me to read this book" phenomenon drive book buying decisions. So much of the glurgy message of the book is about acceptance, and yet the text spends so much time judging people (the author judging himself and guessing at the motivations of random strangers to whom he never speaks) that you want to shake the author to death. Assuming that people who do not see the world as you do are miserable and in need of your help is deeply arrogant and gross. I don't know how else to describe the book and how I felt reading it but that word: gross.

I read Atlas Shrugged as an adventure story. A guy makes special metal and there's an issue with the trains blah blah blah. It was dumb, so very dumb,though I didn't hate it as much as Tuesdays because I knew it was a pseudo-intellectual snot rag from the get-go. Also, I skipped the 50 page speech at the end because I've got shit to do.

Your turn- what books did you read or (half read) only to regret it at some point?

Percy Jackson. Nonsense book. I love greek mythology but this one is so shit that they add up some new characters to greek myth.