🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
BenGuttridge

Blue Velvet vs. Mulholland Drive

This seems appropriate at the moment given Blue Velvet's 30th anniversary and Mulholland Drive taking the BBC poll of best 21st century movies. It would also be nice to have some Lynch in the Canon and these are arguably his best works.

• Like 3

I'd reaaaaaaally enjoy such a vs episode. Let us, once and for all, crown Mulholland Drive as the One True Lynch.

Blue Velvet....an...interesting....film. But who wants to watch it twice? Mullholland Drive just keeps giving more and more and more the more and more and more you watch it. Sure, they're both really depressing, but one feels more earned.

• Like 1

Blue Velvet....an...interesting....film. But who wants to watch it twice?

It's my favorite film of all time and I will fight you IRL.

• Like 3

It's my favorite film of all time and I will fight you IRL.

Hmm....what's MY favorite film of all time...?

Oh right, the rest of what you said. Ummm...my interest in the film just...kinda died when Hopper showed up. I'm not a film school major. Never took classes. I watch movies to enjoy pretty things, have some laughs, escape to another time and place, be told stories, and be inspired to think of my own. Blue Velvet...just made me feel bad. I'm certain I saw the whole film (this was fifteen years ago, roughly, and I watched this almost right after Mulholland Drive), but I remember almost nothing after that.

Wild at Heart was fun.

Blue Velvet is my favorite Lynch film but he's always been a difficult filmmaker for me. I feel anyone approaching Lynch for the first time is going to go with the movie with an easier to follow narrative (Blue Velvet). Would that be fair to fans of Lynch's whole body of work? Mulholland Drive versus Eraserhead may be better as a versus but also difficult for newcomers to watch back to back. Perhaps a single Lynch film episode may be a better one for people to watch.

Mulholland Drive vs. Blue Velvet or Mulholland Drive vs. Eraserhead would both be great episodes. Either way, I think Mulholland Drive definitely deserves consideration into the Canon considering the recent BBC list. I love all three films, but there's no way I wouldn't vote for Mulholland Drive. It is easily one of my favorite films ever.

I liked Mulholland Drive, but am kind of stunned that critics seem to regard it as the best film of the (current) century. I'd like to hear an episode on it just to enlighten me on what I'm missing.

I liked Mulholland Drive, but am kind of stunned that critics seem to regard it as the best film of the (current) century. I'd like to hear an episode on it just to enlighten me on what I'm missing.

I can see your point... I watched that film once about 6 years ago, and was confused and, honestly, a bit bored. Since then, I watched some of his other films, and I grew to like him quite a bit. I watched Eraserhead, Blue Velvet, and, in a theatre, The Elephant Man. I think all of these are discussion-worthy, and I'd consider all of them slam dunks (maybe, just maybe, with the exception of Elephant Man, which must be in may ways the un-Lynchiest Lynch film of the crowd). I think I should give it another shot.

That said, I don't like putting films up against each other, just because they're from the same film-maker. After having added a gazzilion 90s-indie-comedies and 80s-horror-flicks, I think it's fair to give each film a single shot, and make vs.-episodes only with some good cultural reasoning behind. That being said, I'm still waiting for that Citizen Kane vs. Vertigo episode ;)

• Like 1