🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
ElieB

X-Men: Age of Apocalypse (2016)

Yeah most of the post Civil War storylines are really good, though the Secret Invasion is kind of a lame way to buy back some of the ill will various characters garnered during Civil War, but even then it's a good arc. I was surprised how certain characters were used in the movie like Crossbones, who plays a vital part in the comic version of the story, but when you are making movies based on superheroes you can't really try to carry over every foe unlike in comics where an arc can run for years. I thought they timed it perfectly as the cracks in the friendship between Stark and Rogers were apparent from the first Avengers and carried over into their subsequent films, also the fact that Downey really can't continue to play Iron Man like he would want to due to his age and how the movies are spaced out over time, made this the most ideal situation.

One thing that has me kind of worried is that they are making the Infinity War a single movie rather than split it into two, because if rumors are to be true there are going to be an assload of characters in that movie so to try and give fair screen time to almost 20 major characters in a 2 1/2 long movie is going to be a real chore.

• Like 4

I expect there to be more infinity stone developments leading into Infinity War. I have to assume they're going to tee it up as much as they possibly can to save on exposition time.

I don't really know what to expect from it to begin with tho... I've read the 1991 series, out of context. I seen the Gauntlet come up in various other series. My favorite is the Infinity crossover event a few years back. But that is WAY to big, could be bigger than civil war. Shit, it crossed over every galaxy in the universe, involved every planet and race marvel has, and a whole lot of beings way beyond the universe itself. No way they make that into a movie so I have to assume it'll be some kind of gauntlet attack on earth. Meh, gotta reserve judgement. I'm just really incredibly super hyped for Captain Marvel so if it gives me a glimpse of Brie, I'll love it.

Edit: Welcome to Elie's Marvel corner.

• Like 2

I'm assuming that there will be another stone introduced in Doctor Strange and allow for that character to segue into Guardians 2 and eventually Black Panther which I assume will both feature something towards the Guantlet and Thanos. I expect Spider-Man to be a standalone movie in the same vein as Ant-Man where there are only slight connections to characters or the overall universe since they are basically origin/intro stories. I wonder that now the Inhumans are being introduced to the MCU if they will alter the "No More Mutants" storyline and replace it using the Inhumans, which could be interesting especially if they introduce characters like Ms. Marvel.

• Like 1

Ohh I missed secret invasion but kept seeing it referenced in later material. Had to look it up because i only got back into comics again about 3yrs ago. Will check it out after civwar2, thanks.

Yeah I have to look at my collection to get an chronological list of the big arcs, but if I remember right it went Avengers Disassembled, House of M, No More Mutants, Secret Wars (can't remember how they numbered this one since there have been a few Secret Wars), Civil War, Death of Captain America, Secret Invasion, and that eventually leads to Siege. Secret Invasion was also a fave of mine as it featured the art of Leinil Francis Yu, and if we're really going to nerd out I can easily list some of my top artists, which is usually one of the biggest factors I consider reading a series or story.

Great artists to look for when looking to buy comics:

Leinil Francis Yu

Lee Bermejo

Eduardo Risso

Steve McNiven

John Romita Jr.

Paco Medina

Howard Chaykin

Darwyn Cooke

Tony Moore

Steve Dillon

Jim Lee

One thing that has me kind of worried is that they are making the Infinity War a single movie rather than split it into two, because if rumors are to be true there are going to be an assload of characters in that movie so to try and give fair screen time to almost 20 major characters in a 2 1/2 long movie is going to be a real chore.

Oh this was a false report! They're just not naming it "part 1" & "part 2." So it'll still be the same story line split into two movies but they'll just title the second movie something different.

• Like 1

Oh this was a false report! There just not naming it "part 1" & "part 2." So it'll still be the same story line split into two movies but they'll just title the second movie something different.

Infinity Crusade?

My guess is the first movie will end with most of the characters "dying" except for Captain Marvel. In the second movie she will recruit the New Avengers (maybe even in her solo film) who will somehow resurrect some of the dead characters (maybe through Thor or Dr. Strange) and defeat Thanos. At this point, those Old Avengers still alive will be respectfully retired (and gracefully finish their contracts) to make room for the new group.

At least, this is what I hope will happen :)/>

• Like 2

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Oof this reminds me of the scene in Star Wars Episode 3 where Emperor Palpatine has a quick transformation into his 4-6 form. I don't know if they explained Xavier's baldness in the comics, but if they had just given McAvoy a wig with a bald top, I think we could have done the math.

• Like 4

Oof this reminds me of the scene in Star Wars Episode 3 when Emperor Palpatine has a quick transformation into his 4-6 form. I don't know if they explained Xavier's baldness in the comics, but if they had just given McAvoy a wig with a bald top, I think we could have done the math.

I agree! It's like, "Here are the answers to the questions you've never even cared enough to ask about." I was laughing at this movie as it apparently posited that Apocalypse's secondary mutation was "hair stylist." Seriously, isn't it cooler if Storm just always had white hair? I've never felt the need to wonder why that might be.

• Like 4

Infinity Crusade?

My guess is the first movie will end with most of the characters "dying" except for Captain Marvel. In the second movie she will recruit the New Avengers (maybe even in her solo film) who will somehow resurrect some of the dead characters (maybe through Thor or Dr. Strange) and defeat Thanos. At this point, those Old Avengers still alive will be respectfully retired (and gracefully finish their contracts) to make room for the new group.

At least, this is what I hope will happen :)/>

Infinity Crusade was exactly what I was thinking. According to Marvel it's still currently just "Untitled Avengers Film" lol. But also according to the Russos Infinity War won't end on a cliffhanger and they will both be considered stand alone films. So idk I just want more information because I'm greedy but I also want it to be done correctly, especially since I'm with you on characters dying.

• Like 2

I agree! It's like, "Here are the answers to the questions you've never even cared enough to ask about." I was laughing at this movie as it apparently posited that Apocalypse's secondary mutation was "hair stylist." Seriously, isn't it cooler if Storm just always had white hair? I've never felt the need to wonder why that might be.

Now that we know how Professor X went bald, perhaps future films will give us the origin story of Beast's mild to moderate plaque psoriasis or Quicksilver's struggles with bleaching his roots.

• Like 5

My guess is the first movie will end with most of the characters "dying" except for Captain Marvel. In the second movie she will recruit the New Avengers (maybe even in her solo film)

I'm guessing she'll be 'Major' Danvers in Infinity War and get her Promotion to Captain after Steve dies or something... Can't have 2 captains. (Though don't really know if Steve even goes by Cap anymore after Civil.)

• Like 1

My thoughts were that the end of Civil War hints at a lead into Secret Avengers which would be a cool thing to do (and would be a great way to re-introduce Coulson back into the movies).

• Like 2

I'm guessing she'll be 'Major' Danvers in Infinity War and get her Promotion to Captain after Steve dies or something... Can't have 2 captains. (Though don't really know if Steve even goes by Cap anymore after Civil.)

That sounds very likely. I just know that they said that the MCU would be very different after these movies. And I think, if you look at the books they are putting out, you can get an idea of where they want to position themselves--kind of testing the waters. For example, in the comics, Captain Marvel has been (deservedly) getting a major push lately, so I wouldn't be surprised if their intention is to introduce her as the new leader. I think the ultimate goal is to introduce a more diverse and inclusive roster in the future. In the comics, we also now have an Asian Hulk (whose mother was introduced in Age of Ultron), a black Captain America and Iron Woman, a female Thor, and a Muslim Ms. Marvel. I would not be the least bit surprised, especially since we're talking years before we're even talking about a post-Infinity War Avengers movie--and therefore giving people an established precedence for this kind of casting--if we aren't going to see a lot of that being incorporated into the MCU. And I honestly hope that's the plan. The Avengers shouldn't be a bunch of super powered white guys with just a couple of token female and minority characters.

I can even see the X films moving more in this direction with the very likely inclusion of X-23 in the next Wolverine movie--basically setting her up to assume Jackman's mantle. Although, I really hope--considering the diminishing returns in profit and quality in regard to the X Films--they pull a Sony and merge with Marvel Studios. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if we're starting to see the seeds of that already when you consider the "SHIELD Hellicarrier" Easter egg in Deadpool--the most successful X Film in a while with characters that seem to adhere closer to the Marvel Studios model (i.e. True to source material costumes and an accented, better developed Colossus). I would bet that they're really going to be watching how Wolverine 3 does. If it does really well, they'll probably stay the course; but if it disappoints, I would not be at all surprised if the Avengers movie right after the two coming up isn't titled A vs X. Of course, this is all speculation...

ETA: Oh, and the Russos stated recently that when Steve drops the shield at the end of Civil War that was him dropping the mantle of "Captain America" and that he would be called something different in Infinity War. So that does leave room for just one Captain :)

• Like 3

ETA: Oh, and the Russos stated recently that when Steve drops the shield at the end of Civil War that was him dropping the mantle of "Captain America" and that he would be called something different in Infinity War. So that does leave room for just one Captain :)

Yes and no. I don't think her title of "Captain Marvel" should be tied to him. It certainly isn't in the comics.

I think they're bracing the audience for a passing the baton on to Bucky. It could also be passed to Sam considering he has the title in the comics currently, but Bucky did get it first.

• Like 2

As happy as I was too see them finally deliver a young spiderman on screen (as opposed to old-ass macguire and garfield), I was really starting to hope they would give us either of Kamala khan Ms Marvel, Sam Alexander Nova or Miles Morales Spidey. Those 3 are the current "Young" heroes and they're fantastic. Having Kamala and Danvers on screen together would be great, same as Sam with Quill or Thor and Morales with older Parker.

• Like 1

I think they're bracing the audience for a passing the baton on to Bucky. It could also be passed to Sam considering he has the title in the comics currently, but Bucky did get it first.

It's a tough choice to make for marvel, politically. Personally I love seeing bucky with the shield, and as mentioned, loved his brooding struggle with living up to Steve. Sam's cap has been pretty good post-secret wars, some of that same struggle with modern day america divided. But he just has too many gimmicks with the birds and redwing and hyper-vision goggles and flight-suit AND the shield? Come on... Let bucky carry the shield. Would make a great confrontation and reconciliation with Stark once Steve is dead, for bucky to have to get the shield back.

• Like 2

Yes and no. I don't think her title of "Captain Marvel" should be tied to him. It certainly isn't in the comics.

Oh, I agree. I was responding to ElieB's comment about "2 Captains" with what I heard. I don't believe they should be tied to each other beyond mutual respect for their shared rank.

However, I do disagree that it's going to be Bucky who succeeds him. While sympathetic, I think he has a little too much baggage. I think Sam gets it. But I think we can all agree that Steve is 100% dead by the end--probably while saving Tony's life.

• Like 2

On a semi-related note, Lucas Till, AKA Havok is playing MacGyver in the reboot:

This looks terrible. It will probably be a hit.

• Like 2

On another semi-related note: Lucas Till, AKA Havok keeps showing up in shit movies.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/uQrj2M-2Uiw

I really hope this guy's career tanks asap, cause I can't take it.

Monster-Trucks-Movie-Creatch-Trailer.jpg

Has anyone else seen "All Superheroes Must Die"? He was in that, and that thing was fucking garbage. It's from most of the people that brought us "The FP", a movie where colorful street gangs settled their beefs with high stakes games of DDR, which was pretty enjoyable.

Sign in to follow this