đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—
Sign in to follow this  
BJColangelo

PARIS IS BURNING (1990).

I put this suggestion in the wrong place the first time. My bad, y'all.

i would love, love, LOVE to see a discussion surrounding Now that phrases like "yaaas queen" or "werq" are part of the modern lexicon, it would be great to see a focus on the film that presented such a punk and important community long before BROAD CITY starting aping their catchphrases.

This would be a great episode to bring a guest on, especially as the circumstances surrounding the release of this documentary raised so many questions ABOUT the exploitative nature of documentary itself.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/jun/24/burning-down-the-house-debate-paris-is-burning

I also think it is a phenomenal piece of filmmaking that absolutely 100%, slam-dunk belongs in the Canon.

It's one of the great documentaries, for sure. I feel like the genre may be beyond the scope of this podcast -- maybe it should be? There's so much to discuss: Maysles brothers, Herzog, Errol Morris, Les Blank, Shirley Clarke, and on and on. I guess there was a Penelope Spheeris ep, which I appreciate, but the Decline films are kind of safe crowd pleasers.

It's crazy that Paris Is Burning is on Netflix now, it was out of print forever. We used to rent the single scratchy worn out VHS from our local video store, in their tiny "cult/gay/other" section.

Big bump for this incredible time capsule of a documentary that is perhaps more relevant in 2018 than ever.

It is astonishing in its presentation of 1980s NYC and the subcultures within it. It is hilarious, entharlling, harrowing and heartbreaking all at the same time.

The Canon needs to devote an hour to this classic, if for no other reason than to educate people as to where terms like “throw shade” actually came from.

Sign in to follow this