🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Bobby

Suggestions

This isn't really a suggestion, just some words of encouragement. I just saw the closed thread and Scott's comments and realized how it was spiraling out of control, but I think you guys are getting a handle on it. I'm sure I'm not the first to say it, but it seems like a lot of forums on websites that appeal to a large audience have to reign in the masses occasionally. Even if things start with just a few bad apples, others can inadvertently fuel the flame just by adding their own two cents. It'll all clam down, and I hope this doesn't make you guys think twice about putting out these podcasts that the majority of us enjoy and comment on (fairly) respectfully!

This isn't really a suggestion, just some words of encouragement. I just saw the closed thread and Scott's comments and realized how it was spiraling out of control, but I think you guys are getting a handle on it. I'm sure I'm not the first to say it, but it seems like a lot of forums on websites that appeal to a large audience have to reign in the masses occasionally. Even if things start with just a few bad apples, others can inadvertently fuel the flame just by adding their own two cents. It'll all clam down, and I hope this doesn't make you guys think twice about putting out these podcasts that the majority of us enjoy and comment on (fairly) respectfully!

Not as an employee of Earwolf in any way, but just as a fan of the Challenge, I disagree that the unfamiliarity with the podcasts is a problem . I'd actually rather them know nothing about the contestants.

First you have to think of the time issue. These comedians are taking time out of their packed schedules (whether the angry posters here think they just sit around and do "bong rips" all day) to be on the show. If you tack on "Oh and you also have to listen to a bunch of amateur podcasts that you may or may not like for hours and hours," the quality of the guest judges will go down. Do you think Mark Maron has time to spend doing that? He barely had time to be a guest judge I'm sure, much less study up for it hours beforehand. So right there I don't think it is practical. The same thing happens with Doug Loves Movies; we can't all expect John Lithgow to know how to play the Leonard Maltin Game, but would you rather have him on? or have the game go 100% smoothly? There is a trade off for sure.

And on top of that, I think it hurts the content. Like when Benson and Harris Wittles were judges, they both knew a lot about the shows, and I thought it brought a whole aspect into it that didn't work as well. They were partially basing decisions on their preconceived notions about the shows. I think it was designed to be about what you turn in that week, not what overall kind of podcast you are. So in my opinion, I'd rather have them come in cold. Better guests and better content. What's not to like?

Not as an employee of Earwolf in any way, but just as a fan of the Challenge, I disagree that the unfamiliarity with the podcasts is a problem . I'd actually rather them know nothing about the contestants.

First you have to think of the time issue. These comedians are taking time out of their packed schedules (whether the angry posters here think they just sit around and do "bong rips" all day) to be on the show. If you tack on "Oh and you also have to listen to a bunch of amateur podcasts that you may or may not like for hours and hours," the quality of the guest judges will go down. Do you think Mark Maron has time to spend doing that? He barely had time to be a guest judge I'm sure, much less study up for it hours beforehand. So right there I don't think it is practical. The same thing happens with Doug Loves Movies; we can't all expect John Lithgow to know how to play the Leonard Maltin Game, but would you rather have him on? or have the game go 100% smoothly? There is a trade off for sure.

And on top of that, I think it hurts the content. Like when Benson and Harris Wittles were judges, they both knew a lot about the shows, and I thought it brought a whole aspect into it that didn't work as well. They were partially basing decisions on their preconceived notions about the shows. I think it was designed to be about what you turn in that week, not what overall kind of podcast you are. So in my opinion, I'd rather have them come in cold. Better guests and better content. What's not to like?

Could radio legend El Chupacabra be a guest judge next season? The world needs his verve and goat chompin' spirit!

Could radio legend El Chupacabra be a guest judge next season? The world needs his verve and goat chompin' spirit!

I was expecting one of the challenges to be using a character, expected a CBB regular to show up.

I was expecting one of the challenges to be using a character, expected a CBB regular to show up.

Yeah...I've definitely had a good time listening to all 10 weeks.
I found myself developing a more critical ear as many of the informed judges established their criteria of what constitutes a successful podcast.
It helped set a standard for any other podcasts I listen to now what to appreciate from the current greats.
I'd say a second season is in order!

Yeah...I've definitely had a good time listening to all 10 weeks.
I found myself developing a more critical ear as many of the informed judges established their criteria of what constitutes a successful podcast.
It helped set a standard for any other podcasts I listen to now what to appreciate from the current greats.
I'd say a second season is in order!

Sign in to follow this