🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
kubrickshines

Capturing the Friedmans

I haven't seen a ton of documentary nominations, so I'm throwing this one out. I think its become a bit forgotten, despite the intense praise it got at release.

I wouldn't thumb my nose at an Errol Morris versus though.

It's a good doc, capturing a subject that is rarely visited (although HBO made a pretty good movie about the McMartin preschool trial). In some ways this movie is better than Jarecki's more famous Bob Durst documentary; perhaps mostly because he doesn't insert himself into this movie.

It's a good doc, capturing a subject that is rarely visited (although HBO made a pretty good movie about the McMartin preschool trial). In some ways this movie is better than Jarecki's more famous Bob Durst documentary; perhaps mostly because he doesn't insert himself into this movie.

I liked the Jarecki series because of the way he inserted himself and his crew. It felt, to me, like an attempt attempt at transparency, revealing the weird relationship of documentarian and subject. Responsibility of the filmmaker is a subject rarely broached in the genre; most actively try to ignore it. So many true crime documentaries have almost comically biased perspectives that are often passed off as benign formalism.

Errol Morris is one of the best directors of my lifetime. About 5 or 6 features he's made are easy candidates.

Capturing The Friedman's is definitely a film worth talking about. I've yet to meet a person whose seen it that didn't come away wanting to discuss it at length. One of my favorite nonfiction films ever.

You could do a versus about awful things involving kids with this and Dear Zachary. Mostly, I'm a sadist who will look for any excuse to make anyone watch Dear Zachary. That said, I love Capturing the Friedmans, and would happily take a solo episode for it.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this