🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
RossHolzschuh

Edgar Wright

I know that Wright's movies are recent (maybe too much so), but I feel like they are great for analyzing style, homages, trend-setting, and general oddity. I think the no-brainer would be Shaun of the Dead, but in the midst of superhero movie bombardment, Scott Pilgrim would also make for a lot of talking points. Huge fan of the show. Feel particularly weird writing on the forum after the King of Comedy episode. But I figure it this way: better to be a poster for one night, than a guy behind a keyboard for a lifetime.

• Like 2

Ross, admitting you're a psychopath with delusions of grandeur is the first step. Welcome to the club!

And this may be the caffeine talking, but Edgar Wright might be the greatest comedy director of all time. Doesn't get nearly enough credit due to his genre of choice. All his works are insta-Canon for me, though I'd argue Shaun of the Dead is his weakest directorially.

• Like 4

He's a great entry-point into cinema, every aspect of filmmaking is shown off in such an impressive way- particularly sound and film editing; it's so important for comedy. He is 4 for 4 with his film output- I'll gladly vote any of his films in.

• Like 3

The World's End doesn't get enough love. It's not a perfect movie, but it's easily my favorite of his, the one with the most going on under the surface.

He's a great entry-point into cinema, every aspect of filmmaking is shown off in such an impressive way- particularly sound and film editing; it's so important for comedy. He is 4 for 4 with his film output- I'll gladly vote any of his films in

Yeah, Wright could teach a master class on comedic pacing. Hollywood's been a little too in love with the Apatow method, which can be fun for a scene or two, but really drags for a whole movie. Wright keeps it moving, and, better still, with all the time he saves, he just puts even more in. You still get 100 minutes, they just don't feel like it.

• Like 1

The World's End doesn't get enough love. It's not a perfect movie, but it's easily my favorite of his, the one with the most going on under the surface.

Yeah, Wright could teach a master class on comedic pacing. Hollywood's been a little too in love with the Apatow method, which can be fun for a scene or two, but really drags for a whole movie. Wright keeps it moving, and, better still, with all the time he saves, he just puts even more in. You still get 100 minutes, they just don't feel like it.

In The World's End Commentary (I think) he mentions that he doesn't oppose improvisation, but has rules concerning it- and he mentions Apatow by name saying that scenes start and finish, but they end with improv, and the improv mostly has an argument format which tires the scene. I completely agree. Man, he's a genius

• Like 1

Edgar Wright is a legitimate genius. The World's End is my favorite film of his-- It's his most thematically complex and emotionally powerful-- but everything he's done is brilliant, with the Cornetto films in particular standing in absolute masterpiece territory.

I'd love to see a Shaun of the Dead vs. Hot Fuzz episode, even though I have no doubt Shaun would win.

• Like 1

Edgar Wright is a legitimate genius. The World's End is my favorite film of his-- It's his most thematically complex and emotionally powerful-- but everything he's done is brilliant, with the Cornetto films in particular standing in absolute masterpiece territory.

I'd love to see a Shaun of the Dead vs. Hot Fuzz episode, even though I have no doubt Shaun would win.

I prefer Hot Fuzz to Shaun of the Dead but I can accept that I'm in the minority there

I prefer Hot Fuzz to Shaun of the Dead but I can accept that I'm in the minority there

Hot Fuzz is far and away the best, if you ask me--which is saying a lot, considering that they're all impeccably-made films.

• Like 2

Tastes in Edgar Wright films are like strains of DNA. I've seldom met someone who agrees with my preferences.

1. The World's End

2. Scott Pilgrim

3. Shaun

4. Hot Fuzz

5. A Fistful of Fingers (saw it on VHS aeons ago, it isn't great)

I actually do to! "Shaun" is technically my least favorite of the Cornetto films, but it's really just splitting hairs because all three of them are absolutely fantastic.

• Like 1

Add me to the Hot Fuzz is better than Shaun of the Dead camp, but it's definitely a tough choice.

I would rank them:

1. Hot Fuzz

2. Shaun of the Dead

3. The World's End (only seen it once though, I feel it could only get better with re-watch like his others)

4. Scott Pilgrim

Hot Fuzz is one of many reasons I felt 2007 was an extremely strong year for film.

1. Shaun of the Dead

2. Spaced (TV series)

3. Hot Fuzz

4. The World's End

5. Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

6. Imagining what his Ant-Man would've been like

His fake trailer "Don't" in Grindhouse is also by far my favorite fake trailer from that double feature. It's actually one of the things I remember talking about with my friends at the restaurant we went to after seeing the movie(s), but I didn't know it was by Edgar Wright until later.

1) Scott Pilgrim

2) Hot Fuzz

3) Shaun of the Dead

4) At World's End

I'm an MCU fanboy and even still I can say that SP is the only comic book adaptation that recreates things that are unique about comic books.

Here's a cool video on the scene transitions that get pulled off. When you map scenes out in a physical place, it's like practically recreating a comic page

• Like 1

Bumping this thread because I recently discovered Hot Fuzz on Netflix and it has quickly become one of my all time favorites. Good Lord, what an endless rewatchable film.

Wright is a true original and he has now proven with Baby Driver that he can make a seamless transition to Hollywood.

Sign in to follow this