🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 79 - Madrid: Live from Outside Lands 2016 (w/ Fred Armisen, Craig Cackowski, Tawny Newsome, Little Janet Varney)

Paul F. Tompkins welcomes all back to Spontaneanation, recorded in front of a LIVE audience at Outside Lands in San Francisco! This week, Paul’s special guest is Fred Armisen of Portlandia and Saturday Night Live! They chat about whether a cheeseburger is a part of the sandwich family, discovering that Alzheimer’s didn’t mean “old timers,” and the true meaning of the Madonna song “Like A Prayer.” Paul is then joined by Craig Cackowski, Tawny Newsome, and Little Janet Varney, to improvise a story set in Madrid. And as always, Eban (only the best) Schletter scores it all on piano!

Go to paulftompkins.com/live to get tickets for live performances of Spontaneanation October 1st at Lago and October 30th at The Now Hear This Festival in Anaheim!

How did Al A. Peterson (the smooth criminal) get so many jobs reading ads for companies?

He's such a considerate criminal, not wanting to wake the hotel guests next door. I like that guy.

Oh careful. you guys dont want to get on the wrong side of Sean and Hayes by bad mouthing hamburger sandwich

• Like 2

Love how passionate that audience is about sandwich classifications!

Many very clever lines in this improv, particularly "I am an expat/ex-Pat myself"/"Oh, really, what's your name now?"

• Like 2

I would argue that a cheeseburger is maybe more than just a sandwich, but is still definitely a sandwich.

Is this an "Every square is a rectangle, but not every rectangle is a square" situation?

How did Al A. Peterson (the smooth criminal) get so many jobs reading ads for companies?

He's such a considerate criminal, not wanting to wake the hotel guests next door. I like that guy.

I can't help but imagine Paul's quiet recording session being interrupted by Gabrus busting through the wall like a drunken Kool-Aid Man.

Consequence of Sound published some high-quality photos from the show in their gallery:

I was really hoping for a shot of Craig and Janet blowing through that stop sign on a scooter, but no luck.

• Like 2

I laughed way too hard at this.

Another word like "misled" that my friends and I would misread as children is "molestation." We were like, "What's a mole station? Is there a tiny subway for rodents? Oh, wait, I get it now." This is officially the least dark anecdote about molestation you'll ever hear.

• Like 2

I mean...that's obviously Alec Baldwin. How do you NOT hire that guy to read your ads if possible?

This week in Eban Song Spotting... "Oom Pah Pah" from Oliver! right after Paul mentions Bill Sykes

I would argue that a cheeseburger is maybe more than just a sandwich, but is still definitely a sandwich.

I agree that it is definitely a sandwich. I think of it this way ... think about any burger place's menu. If you swap out the beef patty for a chicken patty, it becomes a "chicken sandwich." I think that if we did not have the name "hamburger," it would be called like a "ground beef sandwich" or something like that.

Ipso facto, hamburger sandwich!

• Like 2

I wish Scott and Scott were there for that U2 discussion

I mean...that's obviously Alec Baldwin. How do you NOT hire that guy to read your ads if possible?

No! The last thing you want is an ad spokesman who uses such an old, cheap cell phone.

• Like 2

No! The last thing you want is an ad spokesman who uses such an old, cheap cell phone.

I was going to do that joke but I chickened out. Glad someone got us there.

• Like 1

Quick story: I had seen the word "facade" in print, but hadn't heard it pronounced out loud until the film My Fellow Americans with James Garner and Jack Lemmon, and the vice president (played by the dad from Home Alone) says it "fuh-kade." For YEARS I thought that was how you said it. It wasn't until an idea of subtitles occurred to me that I found out how it's actually pronounced.

Sign in to follow this