🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 144.5 - Minisode 144.5

Vampires, a connection to Terminator 2 and Incubus weighs in on their contribution to the Stealth soundtrack (sort of) all on today’s minisode! Plus, Corrections and Omissions for Stealth and what movie you’ll need to see next. Send your own voicemail explanation hopes for Paul to answer by calling 619-PAUL ASK.

Come see us at the Now Hear This podcast festival: nowhearthisfest.com

Get yourself a BB-8 “What Is Its Mission?” T-shirt or Tote Bag over at http://howdidthisgetmade.bigcartel.com

Where to Find Jason, June & Paul:

Paul, Jason and June appear in a new animated pilot BAD GUYS on Adult Swim watch and vote here http://adultswim.com/misc/pilots/

Paul’s new comedy Filthy Preppy Teen$ is now avail on the FullScreen and you can see June and Paul in their old show NTSF:SD:SUV:: on HULU. Paul also appears on Fresh off the Boat on ABC.

June stars in Grace and Frankie on Netflix, as well as Lady Dynamite alongside with Jason.

Jason can be seen in How to Be Single, Sleeping with Other People, and is still indeed in The Dictator.

Vampire Academy is going to be awesome!! What's the bet Jason's read the books?

• Like 3

Omg. I just willingly watched this movie about a month ago. I did read this book and everything is so laughable.

I am so ready.

• Like 5

Just picked up a copy: I get the feeling that this will be much more fun than Stealth. Oh, and are we allowed to note in here that we're pleased to be read out in the minisodes? Because I'm very happy I got a comment in this week. I promise to be cooler about it next time!

• Like 6

Vampire Academy is going to be awesome!! What's the bet Jason's read the books?

If he has, I'd be surprised. I work in publishing and I read a lot of YA books that are popular. I've read "Vampire Diaries," "Twilight," etc. These I read a couple pages and I was like, "Nope, can't do it." Plus the fans of the series hated the movie. So that means this is terribleness made worse.

I'm glad Taylor Anne Photo has read the book so none of us have to now.

Speaking of books, I did a Scientology read weekend this weekend and I thought of you guys a lot. I read "Going Clear" and "Troublemaker" (Leah Remini's book). I realized this show has done a lot of Scientology movies. Battlefield Earth, Face/Off, etc. Also MONKEYSHINES. Did you guys know Jason Beghe was a former Scientologist who speaks out against them now?? Throughout "Going Clear" there were stories of young kids who were basically slave labor for the church. There was one story about a kid who did forced labor in the Scientology book publishing office and got his FINGER CUT OFF by one of those things that cuts notches out of books (that no one under 18 is supposed to operate). The happy ending is that Jason Beghe says he took him in at the end.

I was like, "Holy shit we all need to go buy Monkeyshines so Jason Beghe can get royalties and take in more Scientology kids."

• Like 6

I'm glad Taylor Anne Photo has read the book so none of us have to now.

My college roommate was rather obsessed with them so she lent me her copies. It is really hard to get through the first part of that first book but it actually picks up towards the the middle & end. But then I tried to read the second one and like you got through the first chapter and was like "nope, can't do it."

What's hilarious about the fans of the book not liking the movie is that the movie stays rather true to the source. The book is fucking ridiculous and I guess it just took them adapting it to realize how stupid and over the top everything is.

• Like 5

But then I tried to read the second one and like you got through the first chapter and was like "nope, can't do it."

I was midway through the third when I stopped usually if I'm that far in I'll just finish it even if I'm hating it but I was just like nope can't do this anymore.

• Like 5

I was midway through the third when I stopped usually if I'm that far in I'll just finish it even if I'm hating it but I was just like nope can't do this anymore.

I'm the same way! I couldn't finish this series nor the Divergent series so I think that shines a light on that shit lol.

• Like 2

My college roommate was rather obsessed with them so she lent me her copies. It is really hard to get through the first part of that first book but it actually picks up towards the the middle & end. But then I tried to read the second one and like you got through the first chapter and was like "nope, can't do it."

What's hilarious about the fans of the book not liking the movie is that the movie stays rather true to the source. The book is fucking ridiculous and I guess it just took them adapting it to realize how stupid and over the top everything is.

Taylor Anne... Is the movie just the first book???

• Like 1

I'm the same way! I couldn't finish this series nor the Divergent series so I think that shines a light on that shit lol.

Oh see I did Divergent. If they ever do those movies, I will be the designated authority, I guess. They got worse as they went on and the first one was not that good. (I referred to it as "WHEN RAVENCLAWS ATTACK!" because the factions thing was clearly based on HP. But no one else thought I was funny.)

• Like 4

Taylor Anne... Is the movie just the first book???

Yup! There are 6 fucking books in this series and the movie only covers one of them.

Oh see I did Divergent. If they ever do those movies, I will be the designated authority, I guess. They got worse as they went on and the first one was not that good. (I referred to it as "WHEN RAVENCLAWS ATTACK!" because the factions thing was clearly based on HP. But no one else thought I was funny.)

I couldn't finish the 3rd book to save my life. And I've only ever seen the first movie (and fucking hated it with the passion of a thousand burning suns).

• Like 5

Also any fan of Comedy Bang! Bang! will remember the classic episode 300 where Jason "J-Dog" (HeyNongMan)tzoukas said he was reading the Divergent series so his input will be significant...

• Like 4

Yup! There are 6 fucking books in this series and the movie only covers one of them.

I couldn't finish the 3rd book to save my life. And I've only ever seen the first movie (and fucking hated it with the passion of a thousand burning suns).

I'm not surprised as the movie only covers the first book as there is enough content in the books for a single movie for each, unlike the Lemony Snicket movie covering the first three books because those books are very quick reads as half the pages are illustrations. My problem with YA books is that they pull punches when it comes to how they detail content, because publishers treat their readers like infants still. Hunger Games broke through that a little bit with the first book but the subsequent novels just fell a part when they tried to take a class warfare and propaganda storyline and mix it with the content of the first novel, which showed as that film series continued and the final two movies were just unwatchably boring. Divergent is interesting in that they have gotten so progressively bad that now they are making the final entry a TV movie using different actors, which I have never seen happen with a film series.

That's not to say that there aren't series that can be adapted well to film, the I Hunt Killers series comes to mind as it wasn't overlong in books and it treated teen readers like adults. I just hope that if they ever do it they stop this damn trend of splitting the final film into two movies because none of these series are Harry Potter where there is enough content in the final book to fill two movies.

When he announced Vampire Academy, I thought "is this the one where Jay Baruchel is Nicolas Cage's assistant?" I clearly combined The Sorcerer's Apprentice and The Vampire's Assistant and confused it with Vampire Academy.

• Like 1

Oh man, I saw Vampire Academy on cable a while back and looked it up -- it's by the Waters brothers, who collectively wrote Heathers and directed Mean Girls. You can see hints of that teen girl snark in Vampire Academy, but not enough to elevate it from its trashy YA vampire crap that is entirely by the numbers. At one point, a character says something like "We're vampires but we DON'T sparkle in the sunlight", like it's aware that it needs to stand out from all the "me too" YA franchise non-starters.

On one hand, I'm all for movies about teen girls that don't feature them getting naked and murdered; on the other hand, Vampire Academy is by the writer of Demolition Man(!) and Hudson Hawk(!!).

• Like 4

Oh man, I saw Vampire Academy on cable a while back and looked it up -- it's by the Waters brothers, who collectively wrote Heathers and directed Mean Girls. You can see hints of that teen girl snark in Vampire Academy, but not enough to elevate it from its trashy YA vampire crap that is entirely by the numbers. At one point, a character says something like "We're vampires but we DON'T sparkle in the sunlight", like it's aware that it needs to stand out from all the "me too" YA franchise non-starters.

On one hand, I'm all for movies about teen girls that don't feature them getting naked and murdered; on the other hand, Vampire Academy is by the writer of Demolition Man(!) and Hudson Hawk(!!).

Hey now let's not denigrate the great Demolition Man script and its near psychic abilities to predict the future.

• Like 1

Thank you guys for putting out a mini-episode during your family emergency, shows how much you love your fans - much appreciated :D

• Like 1

When he announced Vampire Academy, I thought "is this the one where Jay Baruchel is Nicolas Cage's assistant?" I clearly combined The Sorcerer's Apprentice and The Vampire's Assistant and confused it with Vampire Academy.

I thought they were talking about the Cirque du Freak movie when I first heard Vampire Academy.

Oh man, when I saw "vampires" in the episode description, I was hoping they were going do "John Carpenter's Vampires," but this "Vampire Academy" seems to be equally a mess, so it should be just as fun.

"Via con dios, slayer."

• Like 2

Oh man, when I saw "vampires" in the episode description, I was hoping they were going do "John Carpenter's Vampires," but this "Vampire Academy" seems to be equally a mess, so it should be just as fun.

"Via con dios, slayer."

Yeah I just rewatched JC's Vampires for the first time in like 15 years, awesome bad movie nostalgia watch. I felt super super teased by that write-up intro... Really really hate YA stuff and I can only handle blood suckers in Vampire's Kiss and JC's Vampires. I did actually consider seen vamp academy as a hate watch last year but my better nature won out so I never stooped that low.

On the other hand, this stunning revelation has piqued my interest.

• Like 1