🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
kubrickshines

The Truman Show

I can recall seeing this around 12 and really loving it, but now I worry it'll fall into the 'generally pleasant, not great' category of Forrest Gumps and Shawshank Redemptions.

On a less personal note, it's the rare film that: 1) was adored by general audiences and film critics alike, 2) maintains a significant level of cultural relevancy long after its release and 3) offers a bunch of parabolic interpretations to stimulate discourse. i.e. its popularity ensures more subscribers and our cohosts get to dump on millennials some more.

Win-Win.

• Like 1

Haven't seen this in forever but I remember loving it at the time. I'm not sure if I would vote it in the canon but I'd love to hear the discussion

I may get dragged over the coals for this but...

I think Jim Carrey might have been miscast

Well, it took him forever to find roles where he wasn't Jim Carreying the whole time. That said, Jim Carrey--especially at the time--brings a likability and celebrity that I don't know would have worked with anyone else.

Not to mention it's arguably Jim Carrey's best role. Well, alongside Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

I'd argue that he's perfect in Man in the Moon, even when the movie decidedly isn't.

Well, it took him forever to find roles where he wasn't Jim Carreying the whole time. That said, Jim Carrey--especially at the time--brings a likability and celebrity that I don't know would have worked with anyone else.

And I feel like that's part of what makes me dislike the casting. If the appeal of the in universe Truman Show is that it's a show about an everyday normal man, they got one of the most abnormal actors to play him. For example, the scene where he makes a spaceman helmet in the mirror with the soap should have played out like an ordinary person having silly, goofy fun in private like we all do (my private, weirdo thing is replacing song lyrics with my dogs name) but instead it feels like Jim Carrey doing his shtick.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this