🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 46 - Diamonds Are Forever with Putter Smith

Jazz and Bass veteran Putter Smith joins Matt this week to talk about playing the assassin Mr. Kidd in one of Matt’s all time favorite Bond films, Diamonds Are Forever. We’ll hear how he ended up getting a script for the film and doing a screen test with Paul Williams, getting to carry Sean Connery alongside fellow assassin Mr. Wint portrayed by Bruce Glover, and getting his arms burned for his death scene. Putter also tells us what it was like working with Thelonious Monk and the sessions for The Righteous Brothers’ “You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feelin’.” Do yourself a favor and check out Tyler Dilt’s book in his homicide series “Come Twilight” which features references to this very podcast!

I've been listening from the beginning and love this series but due to some glitch, I've only recently been able to successfully register an account on the forums (thanks for the tech support, Shannon!).

So, "long time/first time etc" aside, I have a question about the first photo in the gallery below the podcast. Maybe I missed the context as I was into the fourth hour of a flight delay (thanks earwolf for helping to keep me entertained), but who or what is it of? It's the big guy in dungarees, bloodied and the smaller guy with the beard.

Thanks to anyone who can enlighten me.

• Like 2

So, "long time/first time etc" aside, I have a question about the first photo in the gallery below the podcast. Maybe I missed the context as I was into the fourth hour of a flight delay (thanks earwolf for helping to keep me entertained), but who or what is it of? It's the big guy in dungarees, bloodied and the smaller guy with the beard.

At the end of the episode, Matt reads an excerpt from the book Come Twilight by Tyler Dilts, a friend with whom he acted in college. That's a photo of Tyler and Matt assaying the roles of Lennie and Curley in "Of Mice and Men". (Note the gloved hand.)

• Like 1

Heeeey, there it is!

Actually, after posting the above, I realised I hadn't made it to the end of the podcast before my journey was over last night. Even so, I still didn't click that that was a picture from the Of Mice and Men production (I'm still a bit sleep-deprived).

Wow, Matt does not look like Matt in that. Though the reason I was asking is that Tyler (as I now know) in that picture looks VERY much like my brother. I showed the photo to two employees earlier, asking who he looked like and they both immediately named my brother. At the same moment, he walked in, looked, frowned, and said "That looks like me!".

Thanks for enlightening my dulled brain.

• Like 1

No worries! I was confused when I first saw the photo, since I didn't remember anyone mentioning Robert Downey Jr. during the show.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this