🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 3.2 — Concept & Content: Day 2

Jesse Thorn and Paul F. Tompkins both host popular podcasts with unique concepts and compelling content, so who better to judge this week's challenge? No topic is left uncovered as the judges critique the submissions for their originality, sound quality, sketch writing, likeability, and more. Will your favorite show make it to Week 4? Tune in tomorrow to hear the judges' final ruling.

The three strongest content submissions today were, in my opinion, Bob and Dan Cast, Totally Laime Podcast, and The Little Dum Dum Club. I thought that Paul and Jesse were great judges to have on the show. They're both experienced podcast hosts and guests, and seem to be good at providing constructive criticism.
Also, if you haven't read Paul's American Idol recaps for New York Magazine's Vulture blog, which was mentioned on today's episode, you need to check it out! It is probably be the funniest TV recap writing that I've ever followed.

I agree that both Paul and Jesse were great (although I thought the Ham radio bit had a great ending), some great suggestions and I was glad they adressed if they were associated to any contestant. I listened to the PFT episode of Totally Laime and was wondering if that was going to come up. The thing I was pondering is what kind of podcast they are actually looking for. Are they looking for a show thta could be an Earwolf staple, or is it just the best overall podcast that they host for a year and maybe do another Challenge? Because I feel some of the podcasts who would come out at the bottom of this challenge would really add something to the Earwolf universe. Podcasts like the F Plus or the short sketch shows could with the added support of Earwolf be great niche podcasts, while Totally Laime and The Little Dum Dum Club seem to be doing just fine withour Earwolf. Basically, do you go for whatever is already formed or a show you could mold into something better?

Really enjoyed this episode and the criticism. Was a bit disappointed in the Fort's submission - the production quality was excellent but the writing seemed way below that. I enjoyed the production on Hamm Radio - and I love comedy that criticises comedy - but did find the nesting structure a little odd (but I'm not familiar with the conceit I guess - I don't hear that many hacks, complaining about hacks in that manner but I am in different country). While I enjoyed the Totally Lame submission I do find it a bit odd (although at the same time refreshingly honest I guess) how all the judging so far veers into discussions of gender. It's a fun show, with lots to think about in general.

This was a great episode! Great judging-- I loved how PFT & Jesse gave really sound technical advice, rather than just acknowledging the technical problems as a negative. It might just be my own taste, but I really enjoyed how The Fort and Ham Radio just beat the hell out of a single premise, without giving the listener a clue to where they were going. That kind of stuff where things go from amusing, to annoying, to hilarious is something that podcasts do particularly well. The clips as a whole were very entertaining (although I could do without some of the Gervais-style cackling in the background of the F Plus) and I retract my earlier teasing of Left Handed Radio, who were quite good. Looking forward to tomorrow's show!

This was the first episode I listened to of the Challenge. I was drawn in when I saw that The Godfather and The Gateway were The Guests and over the course of the episode their superb commentary and Matt Besser's brilliant hosting really hooked me to want to follow the show from here on.

Great episode and great feedback. I feel like the podcasts had a better idea of what was expected of them, and there was a better effort across the board. One of the sketch podcasts (Left handed radio?) also performed beautifully, and I now have a much better idea of what they're all about.

And talk about guests! Tremendous. Say no more. A wink is as good as a nod to a blind bat. Say no more.

I would love to hear more about tips for creating great audio. Culturally we tend to put so much emphasis on the visual that we lose focus on how vital it is to have good audio. Sadly, since we depend on visual metaphors, audio-logic is often foreign conceptual ground for a production amateur.

Keep trying Hamm Radio. Liked the meta elements, but you're more talented than those jokes. The judges had sound advice.

I liked the part where they said "Yeah we have been doing this podcast for 4 years...but yeah we don't have THOSE POP FILTER THINGS"

So, you put all this time and work into a pod, and then don't spend $10 on making your show not sound like shit?

• Like 1

Heh, yeah Jizz, I lolled out loud at that too.

I totally agree with Paul F Tompcat about female podcasters. Thats why I like Tig Notaro and Kulap so much. Good point.

I love totally laime, but I feel like they shouldn't have been in the running. They had the good fortune of being able to pull huge names, so they should have already been signed, and the other nine should have competed.

Sign in to follow this