🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
ElieB

The Greasy Strangler (2016)

Surprised this hasn't come up yet. This decade's most disturbing and deranged piece of film making:

The Greasy Strangler

Disclaimer. The trailer makes it seem actually kind of decent, however deranged. But in truth it's fucking terrible in a The Room kind of way with about 1000000x more penis, disgusting sex, and greasy serial killing. perhaps the best thing of the movie is the original soundtrack that's great. On the other hand all the line delivery is fucking brutal, perhaps intentionally so. The part that reminds me of the room is all this disjointed, stiff dialogue which makes no sense at all. Also they often did this thing of creating scenes that repeat two lines of dialogue over and over and over for maybe 2 minutes until your brain turns to mush. The outfits are all disturbing in a real sad way. It's real hard to tell how unintentionally or deliberately bad the film is... But one thing's for sure, it's both hilarious and scarring. The stuff of nightmares.

I can't expect they would ever cover it on the podcast because there's no way June would get through more than 2 minutes of it. Also there's just way too much dick. Myself, I caught it at the local indy theatre with a friend to call his bluff (he was claiming it would be best movie of the year lol.) Thought it was worth recommending for the more adventurous HDTGM fans...

p.s. Leaving the theatre after the movie, my friend who is not an HDTGM listener literally asked "How did that get made?" So, there's that.

Edited by ElieB
  • Like 1

I didn't see it, but assumed it was a Tim & Eric thing. Almost to the point of plagiarism, the style is so specific.

• Like 1

I didn't see it, but assumed it was a Tim & Eric thing. Almost to the point of plagiarism, the style is so specific.

I saw it and you're spot on, it's definitely aping Tim & Eric. Clearly influenced by so many great things (John Waters, T&E, David Lynch), but it's such a less satisfying xerox of all those influences. I wouldn't recommend it for the show because it's so obviously being intentionally weird/gross/unpleasant (which is why I can't get into the Sharknado eps; the creators are in on the joke). If we're gonna watch a disgusting mess of a film for this podcast, I want it to be completely unintentional (I'm looking directly at you, The Garbage Pail Kids Movie).

Yaaaaaaa, see, I prefer my disgusting mess films not to involve children or be made 30 years ago... But again, I don't suggest this for the show, just for the board. I don't think it was a great film, but I also don't think it's fair to call it a xerox because its weirdness is comparable to past greats. Also I've found myself unable to watch tim & eric in the past, or Waters, or Lynch. The later two just make me uncomfortable and bored, which is torture. T&E were funny but totally unmemorable because everything is a flash in the pan. So I'd give credit to Greasy Strangler for at least being on that level of weirdness, while balancing humour and discomfort within a traditional narrative arc. + dat soundtrack, can't say that enough.

Sign in to follow this