Sign in to follow this  
admin

EPISODE 97 - A Face In The Crowd

Episode 97: A Face In The Crowd  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Is A FACE IN THE CROWD Canon?

• Stands out from the pack
    • Just another face in...well you know.

Is this extra-topical '57 classic Canon? Vote now!

I couldn't really emotionally engage with the film. But the sheer excitement I have for the filmmaking here is enough--that, and the timeliness of it all. Seriously though. The way Kazan populates the frame with so much activity. Rhodes is just being churned out of one machine-like structure after another. This also keeps the viewer from being distracted or bored. Also, the general blocking within scenes is pretty great. The pacing is top notch. Everyone is putting in such mind-blowing work. Lastly, am I the only one who found Walter Matthau to be weirdly sexy in his role? He's just so calm and authoritative. It's really hypnotic stuff--though, maybe I'm revealing too much.

Anyway, this is a great film. Absolute slam dunk.

I loved this film. I feel like every voter should watch it just to see the falseness they can get wrapped up in. Trump is a really obvious example, but I think it's more common than not unfortunately. There's so much pandering in politics which doesn't necessarily make for good leaders.

Big Yes.

Also I found Patricia Neal insanely charming in this role.

I only watched it last night, so I haven't had a lot of time for the film to grow on me. But right now, it's a yes. I was enthralled, entertained and engaged. Makes me want to check out the rest of Kazan's filmography.

I haven't watched this film yet but I listened to the ep (I enjoy doing it first, so I know what to look for); I have to reply, though, because of how meta this episode has gotten.

The fervor that both Devin and Amy had in discussing Nate Parker and The Birth of a Nation, with the assault accusations treated as if they were not ended in acquittals and that Nate is guilty (something that made me uncomfortable as someone who DOES NOT defend Parker-- his behavior and defensiveness were rude enough), the talks about Public Shaming and what can change overnight, all now on the heels of Devin himself dealing with Public Shaming over assault accusations....

It's wild, ironic and definitely deserves a point of discussion. Google it.

I think the man himself would separate the critic/artist from the work, but would go way overboard and talking about how scummy the action was.

This is a big YES for me. And I'm so glad that you're considering a Kazan film that's a little outside of his most famous fare. I feel like so many talk about ON THE WATERFRONT, A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE, and EAST OF EDEN, but this is one of my all time favorites. I'd also love to see some consideration given to A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN, AMERICA AMERICA, and BABY DOLL. I feel like Kazan has become notable in the history books of Hollywood but many of his films have been nearly forgotten. Happy to see this one introduced a wider audience.

I voted yes because A Face in the Crowd is timelessly relevant and a great film that became one of my favorites after my first viewing.

When it was announced AFITC would be the subject of this week's episode, I naturally recognized the parallels to the Trump campaign which only became stronger with the release of the Access Hollwood video. I couldn't have guessed how the film and Devin and Amy's discussions would reflect another situation that came to light this week.

Goody Two Shoes is one of my favorite songs, and I've never understood the significance of the line "must be something inside," until now. Also, I have a cold too. Me and Devin should hang out! ;) Is it too early to vote 'Yes' on Welcome to the Dollhouse? YOUCH! That choice for episode 100 hurts. I kind of hate you guys. I'm going to try to call.

Goody Two Shoes is one of my favorite songs, and I've never understood the significance of the line "must be something inside," until now. Also, I have a cold too. Me and Devin should hang out! ;)/>/>/> Is it too early to vote 'Yes' on Welcome to the Dollhouse? YOUCH! That choice for episode 100 hurts. I kind of hate you guys. I'm going to try to call.

Adam Ant didn't drink or do drugs. Or at least he didn't at that time. The song was written in response to people who thought that was strange I guess.

• Like 1

It's my favourite type of film in that it's smart and biting within its own cultural context and continues to be over time.

Terrific film.

Congratulations, "A Face in the Crowd" you have made it into The Canon.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this