🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
ThomasMariani

Future of the Show?

This is what Amy should do:

-abandon The Canon because there's a massive dark cloud over it that's never going to go away.

-try to find another critic that she's friendly with while also contrasting in taste just enough to make for a good show

-take the same premise, maybe adjust it slightly, start a new podcast with a new title. New forum on Earwolf. Clean slate.

Or if she really doesn't think it's going to happen she should release a list of movies she was considering for the show. I'm going to miss all the obscure movies I was watching.

• Like 2

All things considered, things have gone down about as smoothly as they could. Well enough, at least, that Devin could conceivably continue doing the show. I imagine that this isn't much of a priority, but I don't know. The responses from everyone involved seem civil and understanding, which is all anyone can ask.

• Like 1

I'd like to see it continue with Devin after an appropriate absence. It's one of my favourite podcasts... it seems like he's taking this very seriously, as he should. You can't escape your past forever, but the victim in this case has spoken with Devin's (former?) employer at Drafthouse and seems to believe Devin is responding appropriately and the hope is there's some good that can come of this.

Ultimately of course it's up to Amy and Earwolf and their comfort level with Devin. My read on it is that Amy and Devin are legitimately friends, although I'm sure a revelation like this is going to affect all his relationships in some way.

I hope to see it return in the same format.

• Like 8

I certainly won't listen to Devin again. I'd love to see Amy come back, but I can't imagine that would happen. So long, The Canon. Sorry you were hosted by a creep.

I'm cool with a guest host format if Amy wants to keep doing the show. I think that probably makes the most sense while Devin sorts through whatever is going on in his personal life and they can make a more formal decision about his departure.

Either way, I really enjoy listening to Amy talk about movies, so I'm cool listening to the show reformatted around just her.

• Like 2

A person can be a jerk, an asshole, or a bully and not sexually assault someone (and vice-versa), so I'm not going to grab a pitchfork for that particular witch-hunt.

I'm conflicted because the Devin I'm familiar with (starting with The Canon and from there Birth.Movies.Death.) was sometimes a jerk/asshole/bully whom I often disagreed with, but also a smart, insightful writer on cinema who frequently espoused pro-feminist, pro-LGBT, anti-racist causes (all of which will be tainted now, but that's how it goes). So learning about his past and his transgressions is total whiplash for me, to say the least...

That being said, it seems Devin has owned up, and the victim - no question the protagonist here - I'm sure lives with a pain and scars I'll never understand, but at the very least seems to have come to an "amicable" (not sure if there's even a good word for it) conclusion with those involved, and seems ready to move on. I'll do the same.

That being said, I'm also 100% on-board with an Amy-led Canon if she's up for it, but totally understand if not. To end on a positive note, check out Amy's Skillset podcast. It's fantastic.

• Like 4

That being said, I'm 100% on-board with an Amy-led Canon, if she's up for it, but totally understand if not. To end on a positive note, check out Amy's Skillset podcast. It's fantastic.

Skillset is good. What MTV has going on in their podcast network in general is pretty good. Really dig the mix of talent they have working over there.

The tough thing about a replacement host is that this show is very much keyed in the personal tastes of the hosts. Sure, any two people would have picked most of the classics and /or under-seen movies in the current Canon, but Re-animator, Cannibal Holocaust, Creed being in the best of 2015 episode? Those are Devin picks, just like how their wouldn't be Working Girl or Pennies from Heaven episodes w/o Amy as a host. Amy and a potential the new host are always going to have to deal with the specter of "Devin's Canon". They'll either have to start over, or throw out all of Devin's stuff...which would be very similar. I'm okay with whatever choice winds up getting made, although I do hope the old episodes stay available.

They'll either have to start over, or throw out all of Devin's stuff...which would be very similar.

I don't think that's true at all. We've still voted those films in as a community. Guests who have nothing to do with the show long term, like Bobcat Goldthwait, have nominated films. I think it's fine.

• Like 4

If it means anything, the best film podcast ever has gone through 3 co-hosts in its run, alongside plenty of guest hosts, and lots of of fans of Filmspotting would say that the current (third co-host) brings the most to the table. (Matty, #2, did the most for me, but I'm still listening each week). I don't think a guest host period would do the program any harm while finding a hard replacement. But that's also just the opinion of the selfish listener who wants more episodes.

Guys I don't want the podcast to end either, but this isn't just a host leaving; this is an extremely nasty scandal. People have to think about what it means for their careers to be associated with it in any way. Who wants to be the new co-host of a podcast after something like that? Who wants to try to continue on after 97 episodes as though nothing happened? How many listeners are they going to lose no matter what they do?

I think Amy has an extremely bright future, but if she continues with this concept it might be better to just start over with a new podcast. But there's also a strong chance that it's just over.

It's really awful guys, but I think that's the reality of the situation.

Worst case scenario, whatever happens I hope Earwolf/Devin/Amy just won't cancel the podcast without an announcement of sorts, even if it's just written here in the forums or something. Just so we'd know if it's still going on, on a hiatus or what...

It seems likely they may also have some unreleased episodes already recorded "in the bank", so I wonder what the future will hold for those, if they exist.

You can't really replace Devin. While it's both of their show, Devin really shapes the voice of the show (for good or ill)-- replacing him with, basically, anybody but him is going to leave us with Film Spotting.

He doesn't remember whether this event occurred but still owned up to it. I respect that. No defensiveness or attacking someone's character.

I think this doesn't change who the Critic is, much like knowing more about the artist doesn't change the art (for good or ill).

I'll be really sorry to see this podcast disappear.

• Like 2

A person can be a jerk, an asshole, or a bully and not sexually assault someone (and vice-versa), so I'm not going to grab a pitchfork for that particular witch-hunt.

I'm conflicted because the Devin I'm familiar with (starting with The Canon and from there Birth.Movies.Death.) was sometimes a jerk/asshole/bully whom I often disagreed with, but also a smart, insightful writer on cinema who frequently espoused pro-feminist, pro-LGBT, anti-racist causes (all of which will be tainted now, but that's how it goes). So learning about his past and his transgressions is total whiplash for me, to say the least...

That being said, it seems Devin has owned up, and the victim - no question the protagonist here - I'm sure lives with a pain and scars I'll never understand, but at the very least seems to have come to an "amicable" (not sure if there's even a good word for it) conclusion with those involved, and seems ready to move on. I'll do the same.

That being said, I'm also 100% on-board with an Amy-led Canon if she's up for it, but totally understand if not. To end on a positive note, check out Amy's Skillset podcast. It's fantastic.

No, he still refers to them as allegations and resigns without any explicit ownership because the comment sections of his articles would be flooded "every single god-damn day". He's resigning because the allegations would be a distraction to BMD and Alamo Drafthouse (who I assumed forced him to resign). The problem here is that Devin is not someone you know. He's a guy who, yes, has a vast knowledge and understanding of cinema, but he's also a reprehensible human being (not even taking this incident into account) who has left websites like the Clintons left the White House and let his SJW agenda influence his work. He's responsible for the movement in film criticism where if you simply voice that you don't like something (whether it's because of quality or it just doesn't speak to you), then FUCK YOU you racist, homophobic misogynist.

Love it when this kind of hypocrisy is exposed.

• Like 1

No, he still refers to them as allegations and resigns without any explicit ownership because the comment sections of his articles would be flooded "every single god-damn day". He's resigning because the allegations would be a distraction to BMD and Alamo Drafthouse (who I assumed forced him to resign). The problem here is that Devin is not someone you know. He's a guy who, yes, has a vast knowledge and understanding of cinema, but he's also a reprehensible human being (not even taking this incident into account) who has left websites like the Clintons left the White House and let his SJW agenda influence his work. He's responsible for the movement in film criticism where if you simply voice that you don't like something (whether it's because of quality or it just doesn't speak to you), then FUCK YOU you racist, homophobic misogynist.

Love it when this kind of hypocrisy is exposed.

I remember when I had my first beer too.

• Like 8

I think we were all waiting for GamerGate to come crawling out of the shadows....

Oh cool, another blanket label used to describe people who have a different opinion than you.

The problem here is that Devin is not someone you know.

Immediately goes on a rant about how he thinks he knows him.

• Like 4

if you simply voice that you don't like something (whether it's because of quality or it just doesn't speak to you), then FUCK YOU you racist, homophobic misogynist.

Because after nearly a hundred episodes of this podcast, everyone on this forum has been called a racist, homophobic, misogynist because they voted differently on a movie than Devin did?

Sure pal.

• Like 3