🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
ThomasMariani

Future of the Show?

Devin's new film blog if anyone's interested.

Seeing the reaction to his blog from film twitter is interesting.

I'm reminded of the backlash towards Three Billboards in which people feel this isn't the appropriate time to watch the redemption of a shitty guy whose shittiness is still a particularly emotive world issue (institutional racism in three billboards, #metoo from Devin).

Devin's new film blog if anyone's interested.

Seeing the reaction to his blog from film twitter is interesting.

I'm reminded of the backlash towards Three Billboards in which people feel this isn't the appropriate time to watch the redemption of a shitty guy whose shittiness is still a particularly emotive world issue (institutional racism in three billboards, #metoo from Devin).

The Twitter reaction seems outsized to me (not the first time that's happened!), but I understand that a lot of people felt betrayed by Devin and that given their justified anger, they are not going to give him any benefit of the doubt. Still, it seems to me that a guy starting an independent, personal blog on which he displays no ads and asks for no money (outside of voluntary donations) shouldn't be anyone's idea of intrusive, assaulting behavior. This is entirely ignorable if you wish to avoid exposure to Devin Faraci's writing.

Meanwhile, if I'm considering what I'd expect to see if Devin were actually sincere about acknowledging his past misdeeds and trying to make amends and be a better person, then none of this seems inconsistent with that. He says he's contacted his victims to apologize, and in the PBS show she confirms he did. If he's sincere about not remembering the specific incident, then it seems he's at least acknowledged it's probably true, because he used to behave like an asshole (his words) to a lot of people. The tone he's taken on his blog and in other appearances (including on PBS and on this podcast) seems a lot more positive than the old Devin.

So I dunno. It's entirely possible he's bullshitting us again, but if he is then we'll soon find out. It's not like he's in any position of power here.

• Like 1

The Twitter reaction seems outsized to me (not the first time that's happened!)

That seems to be the very definition of twitter.

• Like 1