๐Ÿ”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ร—
JulyDiaz

Episode 146.5 - Minisode 146.5

I consider both Nightmare Before Christmas and Gremlins to be Christmas movies, and in my house they are treated as such.

ย 

100% agree. Amazon keeps trying to sell me on Gremlins as a Halloween movie. Nice try, motherfuckers.

ย 

Also, I'm not sure if I'm just weirdly emotional right now or if it's this debilitating conjunctivitis, but something about the climactic basketball game at the end of Teen Wolf just made me tear up like crazy.

• Like 4

Can we say they're "Goth Christmas" movies?

• Like 1

100% agree. Amazon keeps trying to sell me on Gremlins as a Halloween movie. Nice try, motherfuckers.

ย 

Also, I'm not sure if I'm just weirdly emotional right now or if it's this debilitating conjunctivitis, but something about the climactic basketball game at the end of Teen Wolf just made me tear up like crazy.

Whoa. I think The Nightmare Before Christmas could pass as a film for either holiday, but no way in hell does Gremlins qualify as a Halloween flick. Are they pitching Donnie Darko as an Easter film? You know, because of the rabbit.

• Like 2

ย 

Whoa. I think The Nightmare Before Christmas could pass as a film for either holiday, but no way in hell does Gremlins qualify as a Halloween flick. Are they pitching Donnie Darko as an Easter film? You know, because of the rabbit.

ย 

I might as well watch Scrooged next since there are ghosts in it...

• Like 2

ย 

No, but Critters 2 is 100% an Easter flick.

• Like 1

ย 

Some time after my first kid was born (maybe my wife was pregnant with number 2? No, I don't mean a "food baby") I cried at the end of Robocop, when someone asks what he name is and he smiles and says "Murphy." I mention the kids because I noticed myself becoming a lot more emotional when she was pregnant and even afterward. Sympathetic hormonal changes, I think. Like, my body reacting to the pheromones she's giving off.

• Like 3

Every time Mickey dies in Rocky III or Apollo in IV

OQ08E9.gif

• Like 4

The earlier discussion of silent movies with alternative soundtracks reminded me of The Cinematic Orchestra's soundtrack for Man With A Movie Camera. Excellent album, it stands on its own without the film:

• Like 1

This one. Every time. Just thinking about it now. Even in the 'I Was There Too' Episode about it.

ย 

6a76056b68d328139cedec7f29eae4d8eb373ded2a60435280986491aee2873b.jpg

• Like 3

I love both versions of Nosferatu but I guess I prefer the original. I know some aspects are a little silly, but those are just film-making conventions of the time, the same for any decade or era. Gamer certainly has its... foibles (like making me feel like I need to puke from motion sickness, then showing that greasy obese gross fucker and then I wanna puke some more). Even great movies are artifacts of their time. I wouldn't want Casablanca to be any less 1940s, ya know? I wouldn't want Nosferatu to be any less weirdly 1922 either. I acknowledge that it might be a big ask to watch silent movies now for some people, but that's also why I really like Nosferatu, Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, or something like Metropolis since there's SO MUCH visually going on in those films. German Expressionists were nuts.

I wasn't trying to shit on Nosferatu or say that I didn't love it. It was just a few parts in the plot that took me by surprise by how funny I thought they were, but I would never want it to ever change. It's perfect!

ย 

Mostly I was trying to tell IRONicmerMAN not to have expectations that it would scare him or anything like the other movies he mentioned had, because it's a great movie but if you are wanting to be fulfilled in that way then you will be disappointed.

• Like 4

So...I'm not finding Gamer even a little bit fun. I only got about 20 mins in, but I think I'm going to have to call it. Life's too short and I don't have the energy for this one. I'm sure the episode will be great though.

• Like 2

So...I'm not finding Gamer even a little bit fun. I only got about 20 mins in, but I think I'm going to have to call it. Life's too short and I don't have the energy for this one. I'm sure the episode will be great though.

ย 

But.. but... Dancing Dexter!

ย 

Sigh. Yeah, I have to admit, waffle dipping whale man nearly broke it for me. What will we do without your insight?

• Like 3

I'm mostly mad at this movie because I haven't been able to shake 'I've Got You Under My Skin' for a week now. And for some reason my brain just hums the Bono version. I catch myself singing it at all hours. For such a great Cole Porter number, why must I automatically sing the worst version? (and, of course, the mental image is Dancing Dexter)

ย 

ย 

maxresdefault.jpg

ย 

• Like 3

I forgot another film I tend to watch a lot around this time of year. The Shining (Kubrick's) has no holidays associated with the storyline, but it seems to fit.

• For one, the mood and atmosphere are creepy. I love the look and feel of the film, and the score sets the tone. I remember watching it with friends back in high school, and a couple were legitimately freaked out seeing it the first time.
  • Second, the Torrance family moves into the Overlook when it's closing for the season, settling in for the closing months from October to May. That always strikes me as the buildup starting around Halloween. Even in Stephen King's recounting of how he developed the story, he tells of going to stay at the Stanley Hotel on October 30th, when no other guests were around.

ย 

Alas, with all the chills, the most terrifying part of the film is Shelly Duvall's "acting" as Wendy Torrance.

• Like 2

I have a hard time with movies that feel like their first priority is social commentary and the story and everything else must fit in around said message. To me, that's how Gamer felt.

• Like 2

I wish I was a fly on the wall on the day that John Leguizamo read this script and thought, "yes! This is the project for me!"

ย 

Or the day that the kid from Percy Jackson read his script and said "yes! Referring to ammunition choices as 'gay' is exactly the right phrasing! No need to argue that one."

ย 

Having read the perspectives of everyone else above, now I'm a little depressed that I quite enjoyed this one.

• Like 2

i had 0 emotional investment in any of these characters other than that I was concerned that I was going to watch the fat gamer legitimately die on film.

• Like 3

ย 

Did you get to the jump scare part?

ย 

Or the day that the kid from Percy Jackson read his script and said "yes! Referring to ammunition choices as 'gay' is exactly the right phrasing! No need to argue that one."

ย 

He also says at one point "Retardedly gay" and tosses a perfect last sandwich bite onto a shelf

• Like 2

Hey Paul, ya dumdum! Sorry I'm a bit late to this party since I've been obsessed with one of your previous recommendations (Tanis) so I was behind on HDTGM.

ย 

But I can't let this slide because you seemed so amazed that some dumb listener made a point about the ass-worm aliens being in the toilet.

ย 

Well let me set you and them straight, because you've been suckered!

ย 

Toilets are NOT CONNECTED to the "water supply"! Geeze, do you think we want to be drinking poo water? Toilets go to the sewer! Now, in some places sewage is heavily treated, filtered, and re-used as non-potable water, but unless you're living on the space station, no one but your dumb dog is drinking toilet water.

ย 

"But what about the water coming into the toilet?" I hear you say.

ย 

Have you ever looked inside a toilet tank when you weren't dropping a top decker at Jason's? The water comes in through a tiny tube that is air-gapped and valved... not to mention that rubber stopper. No ass-worm is going to climb up there and somehow get into the water main.

Posted this in the wrong place...

ย 

I'll put something here in a second.

ย 

As promised...

ย 

super_mario_3d_land_animation_by_mpa_the_artist-d4cpdvz.gif

• Like 1