đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

The CaseFiles of Columbo Ep 1: Paul F. Tompkins

USE promo code COLUMBO at checkout to hear the entire series of The Casefiles of Columbo on Howl Premium. In this episode, The very amazing and hilarious Paul F. Tompkins (Bajillion Dollar Properties, Spontaneanation, Superego) joins Aaron Abrams and Kevin Seccia to investigate Season 1, Episode 1 of Columbo - “Murder By The Book”. Together, they discuss Jack Cassidy’s glorious moustache, Peter Falk’s troglodyte voice and Columbo going after Dick Cheney. Plus, Kevin suffers a stroke!

Loved this podcast ! finally I get to talk about Columbo

Corrections from things mentioned: This was the "first" episode of the series but in fact the third Columbo appearance. There was a 1st Pilot tv movie 'Prescription Murder' starring Gene Barry as murderer, and a 2nd pilot 'Ransom For a Dead Man' starring Lee Grant as murderer.

One More Thing: there was one episode where Columbo doesn't solve a murder its a late in the run 90s episode "No Time To Die" where Columbo finds the kidnapped new bride of his nephew.

. I really enjoyed this podcast. Columbo was a unique show. I can't really think of anything quite like it. There are flawed heroes who are really good at what they do and there are bumbling heroes who manage to come out on top in spite of themselves. I can't think of any protagonist who was/is really good at what they do but, pretend to be an idiot in order to get it done.

Two stand out moments in Columbo for me:

After he breaks a college professor or Dean, who is a genius himself, the killer asks Columbo a genius level question from an I.Q. exam and Columbo nails it, revealing himself to be a genius as well

In an episode that takes place in London-funny side note: there a few scenes of Faulk crossing various streets near London landmarks as if to say to the audience, "Hey, look! He's really there!"- A famous actor/actress married couple kill someone and, during the act, the actress' pearl stage necklace breaks. Columbo has the London police open the actor's umbrella during the climax and a pearl rolls out. They break in a very funny "theatrical" way. It's later revealed that Columbo planted the pearl by using his marble skills to flick the pearl into the umbrella-not the only time Columbo basically frames people with false evidence.

I was born in 82 may have inadvertently watched Columbo but I don't recall......and this podcast(episode at least) was great. I like these 2 guys I've never heard of before. I could listen to any podcast about anything as long as these fellas were doing it. Also Rhea butcher next time she's so great!

I am afraid PFT may have set the bar way too high with his answer for the Columbo in real life question.

If they ever do a Columbo remake my vote is ED NORTON .. definitely NOT Mark Ruffalo that would just be painful!

Sign in to follow this