🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 147 - Gamer: LIVE!

Recorded live from the world famous Largo at the Coronet in Los Angeles, Robert Kirkman of The Walking Dead and Emily V. Gordon of The Meltdown with Jonah & Kumail join Paul and Jason to discuss the 2009 Neveldine/Taylor film Gamer. They’ll cover everything including Gerard Butler’s way to get a car starting, the Michael C. Hall dance sequence, Terry Crews baring all, and the potential Ludacris cross-over with Fast & Furious. Plus, we settle the really important parts of the film during Audience Q&A!

Get yourself a BB-8 “What Is Its Mission?” T-shirt or Tote Bag over at http://howdidthisgetmade.bigcartel.com

Where to Find Jason, June & Paul:

Paul, Jason and June appear in a new animated pilot BAD GUYS on Adult Swim watch and vote here http://adultswim.com/misc/pilots/

Paul’s new comedy Filthy Preppy Teen$ is now avail on the FullScreen and you can see June and Paul in their old show NTSF:SD:SUV:: on HULU. Paul also appears on Fresh off the Boat on ABC.

June stars in Grace and Frankie on Netflix, as well as Lady Dynamite alongside with Jason.

Jason can be seen in How to Be Single, Sleeping with Other People, and is still indeed in The Dictator.

I know it was only a joke on Emily's part, but I think Gerard Butler's relationship to alcohol is probably worth talking about. He was training to be a lawyer in Scotland before he wanted to be an actor, and seems to have been a functioning alcoholic - he was kicked off his training one week before he got his certificate, after an incident where he woke up in Paris, covered in blood, with no idea how he got there... He doesn't drink alcohol anymore.

Source: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/gerard-butler-i-know-some-things-i-will-take-to-the-grave-8567606.html

• Like 2

I'd say Gamer has just one unforgivable sin. It made me feel bad for a character named Rick Rape. In the process of rescuing his wife from Society Gerard Butler unnecessarily kills Rick Rape. But what he is actually doing is killing the avatar not the bad person controlling him. And whoever the avatar was might have been in Society to raise money for orphans with 3rd degree burns or some other sad story on par with the Butler family.

• Like 6

Haven't listened to the end of the episode yet, so perhaps an audience member brings this up, but I think the female character says "Palindrome," because his name is Bob.

It's like the Prince song Bob George, where he says, "B-O-B. Spell that shit backwards what's it say? Same motherfucking shit."

• Like 6

I watch every single movie from this podcast .. but I found this one just straight up horrible ..nothing fun or redeemable, I was just embarrassed for Michael C Hall.

If I had to say something positive ..Milo Ventimiglia looks nice in rubber. Logan Lerman is attractive.

• Like 1

I didn't subject myself to this "film" yet, but after listening to the first half of the episode, I have some takeaways.

1. They are live participants in a game directed by other humans. Isn't that just an updated take on The Running Man?

2. "Orientals." Interesting choice of wording by the writers.

3. "MAXIMALIST!" Someone get that and Zouks on a shirt. Now!

• Like 4

When the singing starts it is Sammy David Jr doing a bit where it is only his drummers as he sings a medley of songs with some improvisation. He usually incorporated Sinatra's I've got you under my skin at some point. So it is even stranger as he is lip syncing to a piece from 50-60 years in the past.

I can't state enough how embarrassing that dance was .. It was like your old drunk brother/cousin/uncle/co worker at a wedding who thinks he's cool. sweet fancy Moses.

• Like 1

When the singing starts it is Sammy David Jr doing a bit where it is only his drummers as he sings a medley of songs with some improvisation. He usually incorporated Sinatra's I've got you under my skin at some point. So it is even stranger as he is lip syncing to a piece from 50-60 years in the past.

Not to mention the fact that the film is set in 2034, according to IMDb.

Also I really hate to belabor this point but it was so annoying Robert Kirkman kept referring to this film as phenomenal, amazing, entertaining .. it was none of those things!!

• Like 2

Also I really hate to belabor this point but it was so annoying Robert Kirkman kept referring to this film as phenomenal, amazing, entertaining .. it was none of those things!!

He's also responsible for Fear the Walking Dead. He may be guilty of having suspect judgment at times.

• Like 3

Regarding the Fast&Furious/Gamer/Death Race/Crank shared universe and how Jason Statham couldn't be playing Chev Chelios if he was also playing Deckard Shaw:

Obviously somewhere in the timeline, Shaw used the Face/Off technology to switch faces with Chev Chelios, meaning sometime chronologically before Gamer, there was a F&F and Crank crossover sequel where Chev and the Furious crew teamed up to get Chev's face back from Shaw called Furious Crank.

• Like 1

From what I can tell without actually seeing the "film", my outside perspective is that my favorite part of the movie would likely be the fact that Keith David's character is named Agent Keith. Genius.

• Like 5

I'm so mad at myself that I didn't guess what Paul's Hogwarts house would be correctly.

Jason, I still need yours to settle this forum debate.

• Like 5

I watch every single movie from this podcast .. but I found this one just straight up horrible ..nothing fun or redeemable, I was just embarrassed for Michael C Hall.

If I had to say something positive ..Milo Ventimiglia looks nice in rubber. Logan Lerman is attractive.

I 100% agree with you! It just wasn't fun for me at all. I got about 20 mins in and quit. It's just fucking obnoxious and hateful.

• Like 4

I looked it up, and there is no Teen Witch 2. Perhaps Emily Gordon was thinking of Teen Wolf Too [a movie that would actually be great for he podcast].

• Like 1

Great episode! It covered a lot of the craziness Love that it's longer than the movie :P

First of all I want to share my crazy theory that Simon's sister (aka Sissypuss Shelley) is actually controlling the Kumdumpstaz twins "Society" style. There is a quick blink and you miss it reaction shot of the sister during the twins line "Do you wanna see our tits, Simon?" where we see her mouthing those exact words (Or is she actually putting words in their mouths and controlling them like the Fat Gamer did with Kable's wife in "Society"?). You may think that she is used to seeing random girls show her breasts to her brother, but some time before on that scene the twins say "Oh, my God! It's really you!" to Simon confirming this is the first time the twins get in touch with him. Either this happens all the time and its a common occurrence for her or the way I see it Sissypuss is trying to trick Simon into giving away control of Kable with the fake promise of millions of Euros because she hates him...

My favorite part of the movie would likely be the fact that Keith David's character is named Agent Keith. Genius.

I loved that although my favourite part was the getting drunk and escaping with the ethanol truck scene

P.S.: Another random things I noticed where that Simon wears a white shirt that says "Crank" on it and also during "Customize Mika" scene we see a reference to Daryl Hannah's character from Blade Runner when Mika wears the "Gothic Gray" costume...

L897qVi.png

MYNDlzv.png

5813ae6399cac90c8baf4a5aa7c4a867.jpg

• Like 5

I just want to say...

ca98af1810f5b0a2e93f4805f0d2c654ac6e2cdf4d3658b418bfbf0ab3ab1a19.jpg

Also, I saw this movie in the theater and am so pumped that Emily is in this ep. Can't wait to listen!

• Like 7

I just want to say...

Oh, damn! I thought we lost you, man!

tumblr_o4s6z8YYA81rhjmuco1_540.gif

Welcome back!

• Like 3

I just want to say...

Also, I saw this movie in the theater and am so pumped that Emily is in this ep. Can't wait to listen!

DUDE!

epic-hugs-toy-story.gif

• Like 4

Did Ultron get the idea to sing "I've Got No Strings" from this movie? Either way, it is crazy that not one but two action movie villains have sung what may be the least intimidating Disney song. In his End of Days episode, the Nostalgia Critic has Arnold Schwarzenegger sing it to make him look ridiculous:

What is YOUR pick for a Disney song from a non-villain that would actually work as a badass villain song? My pick is the Ballad of Davey Crockett: I'm not messing with someone who killed a bear as a 3 year old!

• Like 1

30 minutes into this movie and it already just makes me feel...gross. Like June, I genuinely find it weird and upsetting. Maybe it's supposed to? I don't know. But it's not a very enjoyable movie.

*Shurgs*

• Like 3