🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 147 - Gamer: LIVE!

They actually did get permission from Atari, Capcom and Namco for the copyrights and trademarks on the arcade cabinets in the hideout.

In regards to the invisible wall situation, there sort of was one in that there were barricades along with plow trucks and missles meant to stop anyone from breaking out, which is what some games have done as a fun way to not use the trope of invisible barriers. Up until recently, the GTA games would make your wanted level the maximum if you went to an area that you weren't supposed to while other games basically have you killed out of nowhere. As for how the players controlled the avatars, I would assume it's a Kinect like system with how some of the characters where motioning, but there is an issue that is mentioned in the movie called the ping where there is a slight delay from player to character, which has at times led to a character getting killed, so the player works out what amounts to controller sensitivity when it comes to how much control they have over the avatar, hence why Terry Crewes having "no strings" made him even more dangerous and unpredictable.

but there is an issue that is mentioned in the movie called the ping where there is a slight delay from player to character, which has at times led to a character getting killed...

So, wait. Lag is an actual conflict in this movie?

200w.gif

God this movie is dumb.

• Like 3

I'm so mad at myself that I didn't guess what Paul's Hogwarts house would be correctly.

Jason, I still need yours to settle this forum debate.

Everyone's done this by now, right?

For the record, I'm a Ravenclaw with a Sparrowhawk patronus. What did everyone else get?

• Like 4

Amazing episode!

Surprised the conversation between Simon and Luda wasn't mentioned. 2 things stood out in particular:

1. Simon 'blacking up' his speech to say "bi'ness" was extremely awkward. I wonder if that was the actor or the director's choice?

2. Simon's last line of the scene is "I feel you, my giant brother"; not only is this again awkwardly 'street' for a priveleged 17 year old white kid, but it's also a pretty goofy attempt to make an intelligent reference to Big Brother (this movie positing the omnipresence of technology and cameras like Nineteen Eithty-Four)

For the record, I'm a Ravenclaw with a Sparrowhawk patronus. What did everyone else get?

Slytherin with a Hippogriff patronus. I gotta say that they did a great job with the Pottermore quizzes as they aren't like other "what x are you?" quizzes in that it doesn't offer options that lead you to your desired choice. Like if you did a Walking Dead character quiz, the options would mostly give you huge clues about which character you were choosing, while Pottermore used random words to generate your results, though the Sorting Hat quiz was color coated, you could still have a mix of answers before getting sorted.

• Like 3

i usually only give updates when we hit the full day marks but as it was brought up

if you've listened to all the minis, if you were able to get through all the movies and listened to all the eps you've spent at total of 19.6 days of your life in the HDTGM universe .. https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

but by looking at alot of the previous comments, alot of people are gonna have to subtract about 70 minutes from this total because of Gamer

i really enjoyed this movie but i can see why so many people hate it. i think if i really thought about it i'd end up hating ... but as i watched it i had a whole lot of fun .... and when dexter started dancing ... the smile on my face was like that on a jack-o-lantern.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulcPQya3z7o

the whole thing was stupid and crazy and awful and insulting and terrible ... it was a perfect HDTGM movie... IMO.

• Like 1

Hi all! When thinking of alternate titles the best one I could think of:

"You Think This is a Fucking Game?"

Listening to this episode made me want to revisit this movie. Its nuts.

• Like 1

One thing occurred to me while watching Gamer. Why has nobody who chose to be a bot in Slayer, the ones controlled by computer algorithms, survived? They only have to survive one round as opposed to thirty rounds as a playable character, and many of them seem to be somewhat out of the way, like the homeless guy in the alley. Also just from a statistical perspective, it seems much more likely that a bot would miraculously survive one round than that a playable character would survive 30. Perhaps Dexter has it rigged to that they can't win either.

• Like 1

RAVENCLAW BROS!

I'm Ravenclaw with a Nebelung Cat patronus. Are you supposed to be allergic to your patronus? Because I am.

• Like 4

RAVENCLAW BROS!

I'm Ravenclaw with a Nebelung Cat patronus. Are you supposed to be allergic to your patronus? Because I am.

Hell yeah!

giphy.gif

What's your wand like? I'm packing fourteen and a half inches. Redwood. Unicorn hair. Unyielding. No big deal.

• Like 5

just a few things i'll get out of the way in the one post:

the kid was wearing a crank tshirt in one of the battle scenes

4gm7ph.jpg

Q turned up ... always welcome

d1117d399c5e48261c050d81a079cefd70df29c8.jpg

the 3 cuts on dexters chest was a bruce lee reference im sure .. he even made the same noise

2i7s68.jpg

and that audience member nailed it with the flash back/forward observation

2s9zs3q.jpg

note: these may have been mentioned during the episode but i was carving a halloween pumpkin for the first time ever as i was listening to it so i might have missed some stuff .. apologies if already out there

• Like 3

What's your wand like? I'm packing fourteen and a half inches. Redwood. Unicorn hair. Unyielding. No big deal.

14.5" pine with phoenix feather core.

Hard flexibility.

tumblr_inline_nm3rqbKqyH1r08r1w.gif

• Like 4

I think it's possible that the actor Paul referred to having worked with who freaked out and had to go on an ice diet for his shirtless scene was Taye Diggs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0Bi1_jLQAE

I was thinking Mark Whalberg from Daddy's Home, as Paul was in that and it would make sense that Whalberg would freak out about having to be in shape on short notice.

One thing occurred to me while watching Gamer. Why has nobody who chose to be a bot in Slayer, the ones controlled by computer algorithms, survived? They only have to survive one round as opposed to thirty rounds as a playable character, and many of them seem to be somewhat out of the way, like the homeless guy in the alley. Also just from a statistical perspective, it seems much more likely that a bot would miraculously survive one round than that a playable character would survive 30. Perhaps Dexter has it rigged to that they can't win either.

Since this is a satire of video games, NPCs are easy kills which douchey game players would happily kill. Also with the celebrity status players achieve, I assume they want to increase their visibility by getting great looking kills against no matter who, that the viewers would want to see.

As for the other two Pottermore quizzes, I was placed in Wampus for Ilvermorny and my wand is laurel wood, 11 1/4", with unicorn hair and a slightly springy flexibility.

• Like 1

I'm so mad at myself that I didn't guess what Paul's Hogwarts house would be correctly.

Jason, I still need yours to settle this forum debate.

IS ANYONE ELSE SHOCKED BY THE REVELATION THAT PAUL IS IN SLYTHERIN?? I mean, I can sorta see it in hindsight because he's always working so hard and doing so many projects to conquer the world. But For a good minute there my world was all askew.

Taylor Anne, how could we both be so wrong?

So this is Paul's patronus: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocicat

We def still need Jason's house. (Although it didn't sound like Jason was either Slythcerin or Hufflepuff.)

Anyway, as you all know I am a Ravenclaw. My patronus is a white mare which I thought was odd because aren't all patronuses silver in color? Someone else told me they got black mare and I was like, well that's not even a patronus then. That's a horse. You got a horse.

ETA: Also does anyone have soundcloud skills? Because I would like to put together a trailer for a fake movie but I have no idea how. It would start with Paul and June and Brian Posehn mocking Jason talking about "the clowns" in the Cobra ep. Then cut to news footage about all these clowns around. And Jason saying, "I was fucking right." And basically he's the chosen one who has to save us from the clowns.

I think it'd be a good movie.

• Like 6

I got two houses cause I had two accounts and now I'm more confused than ever.

So I'm a Gryffinpuff. Half Gryffindor and half Hufflepuff. Even though the account that I remembered the password for is Hufflepuff I still identify closer to Gryffindor. But maybe I just need to accept that I am a Hufflepuff now. Nah the Sorting Hat takes your thoughts into consideration.

Also my patronus is a dolphin and my American house is Thunderbird. Wand is Pear wood with a Unicorn hair, 14 1/2 inches and quite bendy flexibility.

tumblr_m51x3nDAE21rozd3po1_500.gif

• Like 2

I got two houses cause I had two accounts and now I'm more confused than ever.

So I'm a Gryffinpuff. Half Gryffindor and half Hufflepuff. Even though the account that I remembered the password for is Hufflepuff I still identify closer to Gryffindor. But maybe I just need to accept that I am a Hufflepuff now. Nah the Sorting Hat takes your thoughts into consideration

500.gif[/img]

You can also google the complete Pottermore sorting hat test, because each time it only asks you a couple of potential questions for a more accurate result.

Because I have been sorted into Hulfflepuff once and Ravenclaw twice (by Pottermore and the HP Experience). So I took the full quiz to find out and it gave me Racenclaw again.

• Like 3

Even though the account that I remembered the password for is Hufflepuff I still identify closer to Gryffindor.

Shit, this all sounds like classic Hufflepuff denial to me. Although, I can't say I blame you.

My American house is Wampus, but I don't really know what that means. I think it means I'm a Warrior Poet or something...kind of like Dom.

9aca2b07cd66d64a090d62f9fe1d862a.jpg

• Like 4

Now, this may have been already addressed in the movie or in the episode, but I'll throw it out there anyway...

I have to question the efficacy of Slayers as a tool for rehabilitation. Basically, they take already violent criminals, subject them to months of psychological trauma, train them on the use of advanced weaponry, and if they prove to be the most resilient and the best at murdering people, they are...set free? Wow. That's incredibly dumb. I mean, an otherwise non-violent person who commits manslaughter or a crime of passion, could theoretically come out of Slayers as a full-blown, murderous, psychopath.

It's almost like the writers didn't put any thought into their half-baked, one-note movie about futuristic video games.

Again, I never finished the movie. This may have gotten addressed somewhere in it. I just assume, from what I saw, it probably wasn't.

• Like 1

Now, this may have been already addressed in the movie or in the episode, but I'll throw it out there anyway...

I have to question the efficacy of Slayers as a tool for rehabilitation. Basically, they take already violent criminals, subject them to months of psychological trauma, train them on the use of advanced weaponry, and if they prove to be the most resilient and the best at murdering people, they are...set free? Wow. That's incredibly dumb. I mean, an otherwise non-violent person who commits manslaughter or a crime of passion, could theoretically come out of Slayers as a full-blown, murderous, psychopath.

It's almost like the writers didn't put any thought into their half-baked, one-note movie about futuristic video games.

Again, I never finished the movie. This may have gotten addressed somewhere in it. I just assume, from what I saw, it probably wasn't.

The impression I got was that the release period of winning 30 games was set as an impossibly high standard, so they never had to worry about making good on their promise. It seemed like Slayers was an event-style TV experience (maybe like early American Idol?) where the whole world is watching, yet it seems the Slayers are fighting quite frequently. Given that these guys are returning from battle one win closer to freedom yet probably pretty banged up and traumatised, maybe these are less like weekly episodes of American Idol and more like monthly (plus) installments of UFC? Surely these guys need some time to recover from each fight? They go out of their way to say these avatars are real humans, but then they treat them like they're actual video game avatars, where after a game is done, you hit 'start again' and the avatar is back, good as new. But how can that be the case?

Castle mentions that he has the Department of Justice's cooperation for the programme, which makes you assume that they've signed off on letting these battle-traumatised killers back into society. Indeed, at the end of the film, Butler is hanging out with his family in the car, unmolested by the law, so the implication is that there has been some kind of unconditional pardon, even though he's killed probably hundreds (or more? into the thousands?) of avatars in the Slayer game? What about the risk of PTSD for someone like this? No risk he'll snap and head up to a belltower somewhere? The premise of 'fight for your freedom' clearly revolves around the assumption that no one will ever get to 30, but their solution to deal with Kable getting so close is to set Terry Crews loose, whose only advantage is that he has no controller? Why wouldn't they rig the game a little more reliably to ensure this guy is never released? I know it's good ratings to have the hope that he'll get out, but yes, I agree - the reality of letting someone like this on to the streets is way too dangerous. Add to that the ease at which he escapes the game (vomiting booze into a prop car), and it seems they're really playing fast and loose with the safety of the law-abiding citizens of this world.

• Like 2

One other thing I was never clear on - does Kable win 30 battles because Kable is a brilliant soldier, or because Percy Jackson is a brilliant gamer? Wouldn't it be a much more interesting movie if Percy Jackson was controlling an avatar that wasn't a perfect killing machine? I would love a movie where we see John Leguizamo's character win 30 battles in Slayer, to emphasise the skill of the controller.

• Like 2