๐Ÿ”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ร—

I admit that it's been ~25 years since I read The Gunslinger but this looks quite a bit different from the basic plot I remember -- which I liked quite a bit, actually the only Stephen King book I haven't actively loathed. It looks super cool though and I'm excited. One of the best casting decisions in a long time.

I admit that it's been ~25 years since I read The Gunslinger but this looks quite a bit different from the basic plot I remember -- which I liked quite a bit, actually the only Stephen King book I haven't actively loathed. It looks super cool though and I'm excited. One of the best casting decisions in a long time.

It won't be based on the book, they are calling this movie a sequel to the series. So you don't have to read the series, which is fantastic by the way, in order to understand this film.

ย 

It won't be based on the book, they are calling this movie a sequel to the series. So you don't have to read the series, which is fantastic by the way, in order to understand this film.

Yeah, I read up to the third one, I think. I really like the world, it's super interesting and not like anything else King has written. But eventually the mythology got a bit convoluted and the book length spiraled out of control. As always, King is in dire need of an editor.

ย 

I wonder if the kid's fate will be as it was in the book?

• Like 2

Before wikipedia became a thing there were two concordances that were released by Robin Furth that were basically the guide to EVERYTHING in the series along with a lot of the connections to King's other works. The books not only went over characters, places, and important events that were barely mentioned in the books, but also terms and language were broken down so the reader could understand Roland's high language from his kingdom. There has been a new companion that was released a few years ago that I'm sure goes into a bit more detail on things, but they definitely help understand the thick text.

ย 

I will say that after the third book, the series becomes an ubermeta mindfuck that amazingly works incredibly well. King for his part kept it pretty straightforward and actually creates and ending that to this day for me still stands as one of the best endings I've ever read, which is an especially great thing for King as endings have always kind of been his weakness. He does a good job of also creating the connecting tissue between this and his other stories so the reader isn't completely lost when new characters are introduced from other worlds, which is helpful as there are about two dozen King books/stories that are connected to the Dark Tower series.

• Like 1

Out of the slate of Netflix's new shows, I might be the most excited by this one, though it looks to be playing very loose with the history of the promotion.

• Like 2

Out of the slate of Netflix's new shows, I might be the most excited by this one, though it looks to be playing very loose with the history of the promotion.

According to Maron they literally only had rights to the name so it sounds like it's going to be very fictionalized.

According to Maron they literally only had rights to the name so it sounds like it's going to be very fictionalized.

Yeah I imagine that was the best that they could get considering most of the wrestlers were just starting actresses, models, or stuntwomen who basically only ever worked in GLOW, so I have to figure the nightmare it would be to get likeness or name rights from many of those involved. The promotion has also changed ownership a few times over the years so I bet that just compounded the difficulty in obtaining rights. Hey at least they have a Rocky 4-esque robot that gives out cocaine, so that's a big win.

Zouks is in the new Will Ferrell & Amy Pohler comedy coming out in late June.

Looks hilarious.

ย 

The House

ย 

• Like 1

This could either be a dud or a spectacular comedy with the number of names attached to it, I'm hoping for the latter.

• Like 3

this is how you do a trailer. it's a familiar story but there's nothing given away in the trailer. it just teases and shows off the amazing cast. we don't need to see anymore.... what's the betting they release another 3 trailers between now and november showing you everything

ย 

this is how you do a trailer. it's a familiar story but there's nothing given away in the trailer. it just teases and shows off the amazing cast. we don't need to see anymore.... what's the betting they release another 3 trailers between now and november showing you everything

ย 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isnICELMRns

I'd argue that still is horrible and now I do not want to see this lol

ย 

(It does look good I just would need to get past my incredible dislike of Depp)

I'd argue that still is horrible and now I do not want to see this lol

ย 

(It does look good I just would need to get past my incredible dislike of Depp)

i don't think you're alone there. this is the second depp movie in a row with very little depp in it's trailer. fair enough this is a teaser and there's alot of faces to fit in but he was very absent from the last few pirates trailers i saw.

• Like 1

Oh no, is he playing Poirot? I can't bear to watch this trailer, his accent is going to kill me.

Oh no, is he playing Poirot? I can't bear to watch this trailer, his accent is going to kill me.

No, Branagh plays Poirot. I, for one, am very much looking forward to seeing Branagh's take.

ย 

No, Branagh plays Poirot. I, for one, am very much looking forward to seeing Branagh's take.

Oh thank god, that's a relief. I was having Mordecai PTSD. With Branagh, maybe this could be good; he's certainly capable.

Oh thank god, that's a relief. I was having Mordecai PTSD. With Branagh, maybe this could be good; he's certainly capable.

Yeah that whole cast (minus Depp) looks absolutely killer and Branagh as Poirot is gonna be what probably gets me to see it.

ย 

(Besides Daisy Ridley and Leslie Odom Jr. of course)

• Like 3

If Leslie Odom Jr and/or Judi Dench just read Johnny Depp's lines, I'd be happy with that.

Guys, we're burying the lead here. I'm pretty sure Depp is the one who gets stabbed to death. Catharsis!

• Like 1

Guys, we're burying the lead here. I'm pretty sure Depp is the one who gets stabbed to death. Catharsis!

giphy.gif

• Like 2

I don't know much about the character outside of the stuff I've read in various Marvel crossovers, but this does look pretty good and considering how well Marvel has created intro movies for characters that aren't well known to the masses, this should be an interesting film.

• Like 1

ย 

That trailer makes me want to watch this A.S.A.P.!

ย 

Spoiler for that "THE HOUSE - Frank's Place" video...

ย 

ย 

ย 

I died when they talked about the "Egg White Omelet that will knock your socks off" 'cuz Jason is alergic to eggs... Jason is so method that he suffers for his craft lol ;)

ย 

And also the ending where he bumps the camera :D

ย 

• Like 1

I don't know much about the character outside of the stuff I've read in various Marvel crossovers, but this does look pretty good and considering how well Marvel has created intro movies for characters that aren't well known to the masses, this should be an interesting film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7Q3WbF__NY

I was worried about this until they got Ryan Coogler to direct and do creative. There is some stuff in BP's origin that could read as racist today, so I think it's good they got him.(Don't want another "Iron Fist" situation!)

• Like 2

won't put this in the wraith thread but i went to see wonder woman today and it was awesome. Gal is incredible. for me it's up with the dark knight and winter solider. here's hoping justice league doesn't ruin it all again

• Like 2