🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
admin

Episode 16 — The Smurfs

That would be a shame. I'm still waiting for their Blended episode.

• Like 1

After this happened with what most think was due to Jayma being on The League, there is no way now that they will ever do an Adam Sandler movie.

why's that?

why's that?

I concur Must turd, I don't follow the correlation. I think the implication is that if they ever want to be in a movie with Adam Sandler they shouldn't poke fun at his movies, but I get the vibe that neither Paul, Jason, or June have any real desire to be in an Adam Sandler movie, so it really shouldn't matter. Of course, this is just my impression of their personalities and senses of humor, and I could be wildly mistaken. Also, I think it was the Winter's Tale episode, they already made fun of the Blended trailer, so if they didn't want to offend him, I'm assuming that ship has sailed anyway.

I do have a couple of other points I'd like to bring to the table though. First of all, personally, I feel like it's a good decision on their part to avoid doing that many comedies (aside from maybe rom-coms), and I'm not even thinking about it on a professional level. I just think it's funnier when they are discussing movies that were made with the intention of being taken somewhat seriously and poke holes in the logical errors. With most comedies, what you're looking at are basically live action cartoons with their own set of laws that govern them--especially broader comedies or high concept comedies like The Love Guru. In the end, yes it's stupid that a couple of elephants fuck on the ice or whatever, but that's the reality the characters live in so you can't really say anything other than "I found that funny" or "I didn't find that funny."

Secondly, I just re-listened to the Smurfs episode a couple of days ago when this thread got bumped and I really didn't hear anything too offensive. I mean, I guess it's just speculation that it has to do with the Jayma Mays, but I listened with that controversy in mind, and I didn't feel like they were particularly mean. They do make fun of her a bit during her interview when she says her character being pregnant is "funny," but I felt the actress was wasn't saying "funny" as in "Ha Ha," but more in a "it makes for an interesting dynamic for the characters" kind of way (still untrue, but there you go). In which case, I think them laughing at it is more on them for misunderstanding her intention. Again, maybe I'm wrong and maybe she did mean Ha Ha funny. I don't really have any way of knowing. And again again, this may not even been the reason why it was pulled in the first place, so it doesn't really matter.

In my opinion, I don't see any reason why this episode should be pulled from the catalog. To be clear, even though I have really enjoyed every episode of HDTGM, if I were to rank them, this one would be near the bottom of the list, so I don't want anyone to think I'm championing it for my own reasons. It's good, but no where near the heights of some of their other episodes. If it's at the request of Jayma that it's been blacklisted, then I guess--as her colleagues--they should to respect that (It would be dick-ish not to), but I feel like if that's the case, it's a bit of an overreaction and sets kind of a crappy precedence. I mean, Paul is going to be in a movie with Nic Cage, should they pull all of the Nic Cage episodes? I mean, I know that won't happen, but still...

• Like 4

Jayma using her clout to pull this ep is as big a scandal as Ben Affleck using his clout to edit the Finding Your Roots ep. Possibly bigger!*

*Absolutely not

• Like 2

why's that?

I mentioned in the next sentence about Rose McGowan where She made mention of how her agent let her go for going after Sandler on Twitter. While Sandler has had a string of eh movies over the last few years, he still makes enough money and has enough clout that higher ups in the industry seem to not want to rock the boat with him. While they did poke some fun at the Blended trailer, they really didn't give it the HDTGM treatment. My post was in regard to that if they seemingly pulled the Smurfs episode due to eventually starting a working relationship with Jayma, that they may want to play it safe and not try and close any possible doors to future projects, as Sandler is basically the James Patterson of movies and will do anything and put it on a movie screen.

http://www.eonline.com/news/670446/rose-mcgowan-says-agent-dropped-her-for-criticizing-adam-sandler-via-twitter

I really hope that Paul and June arent avoiding Sandler movies on the off chance he invites them to join his next vacation film in Greenland where he'll be playing the long lost nephew of Krampus.

I mentioned in the next sentence about Rose McGowan where She made mention of how her agent let her go for going after Sandler on Twitter. While Sandler has had a string of eh movies over the last few years, he still makes enough money and has enough clout that higher ups in the industry seem to not want to rock the boat with him. While they did poke some fun at the Blended trailer, they really didn't give it the HDTGM treatment. My post was in regard to that if they seemingly pulled the Smurfs episode due to eventually starting a working relationship with Jayma, that they may want to play it safe and not try and close any possible doors to future projects, as Sandler is basically the James Patterson of movies and will do anything and put it on a movie screen.

http://www.eonline.c...ler-via-twitter

I can't believe I'm defending Adam Sandler but that's a huge leap to make based on one accusation, an accusation that sounds like a lot less plausible a reason for her to be dropped by her agent then say, not being in anything resembling a successful film in over a decade.

I see that there is a lot of discussion (almost 2 pages worth) about the missing Episode 16 — The Smurfs. There were speculations and theories. That's human nature I suppose. When we don't have clear answers we supply our own. That was how gods become the answer for good things and demons become the answer for bad things. What I'm about to disclose won't shed too much light on the mystery of the missing episode. It's certainly not enough light to keep the demons at bay.

I was an intern for Earwolf in the summer— well, half the summer— of '13. I could not believe it when I got the internship. I, a single mom had beat out students and recent grads for a highly-paid internship. When I interviewed with Chip Gardner, my boss, I told him about my baby, Bella. I always volunteer the fact I'm a single mom to employers during interviews. I told them that they won't find a harder worker than me but there are times when I will have to take days off, or times when I will not be able to stay late because things happen when you have kids. I would rather employers find excuses not to hire me than find excuses to fire me.

Chip told me that my job was to go through audio files that had been junked by the various shows to find usable bits that could be cobbled together to be sold at the Earwolf store or given to donors as bonus episodes, extras, and gag reels. I was pleasantly surprised. I thought I would be going on Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf runs, getting dry cleaning, walking yappy toy dogs. Chip said he assigned a desk job for me so that I could bring Bella with me to work instead of putting her in the daycare center and save some money. I was so grateful.

I was apprehensive however on my first day at work, walking down the hallway carrying Bella in her car seat in one hand. Chip had been extraordinarily understanding and accomodating, but what if others didn't feel that way? As if summoned by my thoughts, Scott Aukerman stepped out from one of the offices. He was delighted to see Bella. "What a healthy baby," he cooed. Then he left the building and drove off in a shiny Bugatti Veyron.

I quickly got into the swing of things. Everyone at Earwolf was pleasant. Bella was fussed over and doted on. Nobody acted like bringing a baby to work was something out of the ordinary. I thought perhaps I wasn't the only mom with an infant, that there were other moms who brought their babies to work. There weren't. But there were moms with infants. Rosemary Saperstein (advertising) was repainting the nursery in her penthouse because she had recently heard of VOCs. Adrianne Armond's (audio engineer) husband headed up the Paris division of his company and she thought that only the baby clothes from the Left Bank were acceptable.

I often stayed late at work. I could do that since I had Bella with me. I wanted to get through the files as fast as I could so that I would impress the higher-ups and be given bigger and more important responsibilities. At around 8 P.M. on a night in the June of '13, I tackled HDGTM's junk audio folder. I went through a few files before I came across a file titled Episode 16 — The Smurfs. The Smurfs episode! The episode that was mysteriously pulled from the roster before I had had a chance to listen to it. I excitedly hit play. The episode was hilarious. I rewound the episode to listen again to the part about the Smurfs going to war with the Lutherans of Lake Wobegon. I stopped the rewind button at various time stamp trying to find the bit. The button froze at 6:66. Before I could convince myself that the time was a technical glitch, a voice started to speak even though the button was still on pause. "Hey nong, hey nong, hey nong," the voice growled.

A prickle ran down my spine. Bella and I were no longer the only ones in the room. The temperature in the office dropped and the lights dimmed. I turned around. There was a man. Or something that resembled a man. His skin is overly smooth and his hair look weighty, like the strands would drag in a breeze. The scariest part about the man were his eyes. There was no life behind them. He was like a CGI character came to life.

The man started to walk towards us. "Give me your baby," he chanted with every step. I wanted to grab Bella and run but I was frozen to the spot. No matter how much I struggled I could not move, I could not make a sound. He stopped in front of the car seat and reached out for Bella. I screamed soundlessly.

The door to the office opened. It was Mike, the janitor. The man disappeared and the lights and temperature went up. Mike chatted rambunctiously—he wanted to volunteer with International Coastal Cleanup and pick up trash at the coasts of Ecuador but was having trouble raising money for air fare—as he went about cleaning the office. I somehow knew that the man wouldn't come again that night, that Mike had broken a deadly spell. But just to be sure, I went to delete Episode 16. It was gone. I could not find it in any of the drives.

I called Chip the next day to tender my resignation. His attitude was very cool, with non of the warmth he had shown towards me. I thought he might be understandably upset that an employee quit without notice giving only a vague reason of "family emergency", but I needed to warn him of the dangers of Episode 16 in case it was still lurking somewhere in the computer system. Before I could say anything, Chip asked, "If there's nothing else..." He was not interested in hearing more from me. He was not interested because he already knew. "No, there's nothing else," I answered.

• Like 3

This is a How Did This Get Made board, please take all your CBB referencing back where it belongs. Scott Aukerman already owns the network, now he's sending his minions to try to hijack other podcast's forums! He's gone mad with power!

• Like 2

JAYMA MAYS. Her name is JAYMA MAYS. Not Jyma Mills.

I came here to see how quickly someone mentioned this (knowing there would be no way I'd be the first to do so 5+ years later)

This has come FULL CIRCLE when PFT and NPH were on a CBB! ep. a while ago...

I would of paid a LOT of money to be in the recording studio during the breaks if they spoke about the Smurfs